What's new

So, how many sticks do you have...

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Looking at the amount of cigar traffic around here leads me to wonder... Just how many sticks does everyone have and how many should I have.

As still somewhat of a newbie, I have yet to make a box purchase until recently. For the most part, I have pretty much decided what I like and now it's just a matter of getting the funds together and coming up with space (read I need another humi).

I have roughly 80 sticks (many of them gifts) and I am just wondering...

So, how many do you have?

Are the majority NC or CC?

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
The one nice thing about good cigars is that if you overbuy, you can easily sell them to clear some room or to turn some quick cash for your budget. I call it "cigar capital." Smokes are as good as cash in my opinion. (Be careful though, I have sold some smokes and then kicked myself for letting them go!)

As far as "How many should I have?" that's a question that only you can answer. I'll go through periods when I only smoke about once a week, so I'll drop by the B&M and pick up a handful that will last me all month, without touching my stash. Other times I'll smoke daily and clean out a row without blinking. So, it depends on how many you feel you need on hand at any given time. For many of us, a 50 ct. desktop humi is all that we'll ever need while others will get nervous if their stock drops below 2,000.

Once you decide that you want to start laying down some boxes for long-term aging, then you'll have to decide what sort of storage you'll need. I have some boxes that I don't intend to crack for another 10 years at least.

Frankluke, that is a nice setup. Did you just frame in a corner of your basement? Do you regulate the temp in there in any way, or just the RH? Sweet! :smokingco

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I'm not sure, two coolers worth. I think it's prob best I don't know. That way when the g/f asks how many cigars do you need/have I can't incriminate myself! :rofl:

Matthew

Tobacco Beetle
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not addressing anyone's particular post, but a hundred years of gravity will stretch anybody's parts three or four fold...

:nodlaugh:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I'm sitting on about 100 in 3 small humis. My coller is up and running but looks silly since I have 3 empty boxes in it, but it's waiting for me to finnally pull the trigger on a couple of boxes.

frankluke

Pipe Snob
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Frankluke, that is a nice setup. Did you just frame in a corner of your basement? Do you regulate the temp in there in any way, or just the RH? Sweet! :smokingco

thanks, ted..

i just finished it last month, i call it my "walk in" even though its more of a closetdor. built it from scratch, its in my basement. it holds a temp of mid 60's in the summer, hopefully close to the same this winter. i only regulate the RH, set & forget.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The one nice thing about good cigars is that if you overbuy, you can easily sell them to clear some room or to turn some quick cash for your budget. I call it "cigar capital." Smokes are as good as cash in my opinion. (Be careful though, I have sold some smokes and then kicked myself for letting them go!)

As far as "How many should I have?" that's a question that only you can answer. I'll go through periods when I only smoke about once a week, so I'll drop by the B&M and pick up a handful that will last me all month, without touching my stash. Other times I'll smoke daily and clean out a row without blinking. So, it depends on how many you feel you need on hand at any given time. For many of us, a 50 ct. desktop humi is all that we'll ever need while others will get nervous if their stock drops below 2,000.

Once you decide that you want to start laying down some boxes for long-term aging, then you'll have to decide what sort of storage you'll need. I have some boxes that I don't intend to crack for another 10 years at least.

:smokingco

That's great advice. Depending on my budget, I'll buy a ton or none. I counted my stash over the summer and it was around 795. I know I've bought way more than I've smoked since then, so it's probably close to 1000 right now.
I have a 120 qt. cooler of aging boxes, which I sample from time to time, a cooler of mostly singles from trades, hits, trips to the B&M, (these are fair game to smoke anytime), a desktop of Fuente stuff, and a big footlocker style humi for islanders.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Well let's see....I've got 17 boxes in my wine coolerdor (if I'm remembering correctly) and for the most part they're all at least half-full....so at 50% full, a conservative estimate would be 200-ish sticks. But in reality, most of the boxes are more than 50% full, so my total is likely to be around 300-ish.

Honestly, that's all I the damn cigars need. As long as I can store enough to rest my cigars a year or two (all they need to be good enough to enjoy) and still smoke whenever I feel like it, I'm happy. I'm not really trying to put any serious age on anything.