What's new

Sobriety Thread

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
So, today is the big anniversary date. One year ago today, the CHICAGO CUBS WON THE WORLD SERIES! Oh, and also, 26 years ago today, I woke up, late for a court date. I managed to hustle downtown just in time to avoid being sentenced to spend the rest of my teenage years at St. Charles Correctional Facility. I was mere moments away from death, at that point. Having not eaten much in the last few weeks, other than random weeds I'd pick and eat, and having recently drank enough and done enough acid to be mostly delusional and in a perpetual fog that would last for a few months yet, I wouldn't have lasted long at that place. My mouth would've gotten me in trouble, despite the fact that I would've been a target just for being crazy, white, malnourished etc. I wound up, thanks to my father hiring a lawyer, being made a ward of the state and placed into a 6 month residential rehab after serving my jail time (regular juvenile detention, which was still unfriendly enough). Somewhere along the line, something clicked for me. I went from believing I would rather die that live without alcohol and drugs, to having a spiritual awakening that changed me enough to see where this sobriety thing might lead. And here I am, 26 years later, ready to see where this sobriety thing might lead. One day at a time.
It's funny… I have never, in my entire life, done anything perfectly every single day. Except not drink. I cannot follow a health plan every day. I cannot go to work every day. I cannot think of a single goal or thing I want where I didn't, at one point, have a day off or a cheat day, if you will. Except not drinking. I have gone every single day for 26 years without having a drink. Now, given my track record of everything else, and all the cheat days in other aspects, I believe it to be a fact that my sobriety is not of my doing. If it were up to me, I'd have had a cheat day. And who knows if I'd ever make it back in that scenario? Maybe I'd be in and out the rest of my life. Maybe I'd die drunk. Maybe I'd come back and stick. Who knows? What I do know is that the mystery that I call God has kept me sober 9,482 days IN A ROW! Clearly it wasn't me. I couldn't make one day in a row. I am living proof that this thing works. One day at a time.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So, today is the big anniversary date. One year ago today, the CHICAGO CUBS WON THE WORLD SERIES! Oh, and also, 26 years ago today, I woke up, late for a court date. I managed to hustle downtown just in time to avoid being sentenced to spend the rest of my teenage years at St. Charles Correctional Facility. I was mere moments away from death, at that point. Having not eaten much in the last few weeks, other than random weeds I'd pick and eat, and having recently drank enough and done enough acid to be mostly delusional and in a perpetual fog that would last for a few months yet, I wouldn't have lasted long at that place. My mouth would've gotten me in trouble, despite the fact that I would've been a target just for being crazy, white, malnourished etc. I wound up, thanks to my father hiring a lawyer, being made a ward of the state and placed into a 6 month residential rehab after serving my jail time (regular juvenile detention, which was still unfriendly enough). Somewhere along the line, something clicked for me. I went from believing I would rather die that live without alcohol and drugs, to having a spiritual awakening that changed me enough to see where this sobriety thing might lead. And here I am, 26 years later, ready to see where this sobriety thing might lead. One day at a time.
It's funny… I have never, in my entire life, done anything perfectly every single day. Except not drink. I cannot follow a health plan every day. I cannot go to work every day. I cannot think of a single goal or thing I want where I didn't, at one point, have a day off or a cheat day, if you will. Except not drinking. I have gone every single day for 26 years without having a drink. Now, given my track record of everything else, and all the cheat days in other aspects, I believe it to be a fact that my sobriety is not of my doing. If it were up to me, I'd have had a cheat day. And who knows if I'd ever make it back in that scenario? Maybe I'd be in and out the rest of my life. Maybe I'd die drunk. Maybe I'd come back and stick. Who knows? What I do know is that the mystery that I call God has kept me sober 9,482 days IN A ROW! Clearly it wasn't me. I couldn't make one day in a row. I am living proof that this thing works. One day at a time.
Congratulations on the milestone man! So glad for you! And so happy to see and hear that. Really inspirational. I hope your story helps many others.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Jason buddy, That's quite an accomplishment.Thank God for giving you the strength to start and then it was and still is all you staying the course. What a great job you've done and are doing my friend. My prayers are said for you buddy.
What a great life you now lead with your family of your wife and a beautiful son and Ryno. All my best wishes for you buddy.
Amen

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
@VeLoRoK. Jason, thanks for sharing your story man. You really put the ODAAT concept into words that resonate with me. Iv never done anything like this, with this level of "perfection", for this long. I just celebrated 2 years and I see now, just as you said, this cant be me. 26 years is a big deal, but for people like us just one day is often more of the miracle. Thats why I love the AA program. I can do anything for just one day.

On another note, Im in a bit of a funk this week. I took a week off work to do a major diy at home. Like a typical alchoholic, I'd been putting it off. I knew going into it I was going to be beat each day. And I knew at the end of the week my wife was going away for a girls weekend leaving me with the kids. Despite that, as of day 4, I've started being a dick to my wife and kids. Just a cranky bastage. Totally resentful of my wife for going out of town on a planned trip (unlike my unplanned benders). Unreasonable. Ugg.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
That's awesome brother, except for the Cubs part! LMAO

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Do you know how absolutely spectacular it was to survive that game, and enjoy a cigar and a World Series victory on the night of my 1/4 century? The tears of cardinals fans everywhere was such sweet nectar
Lol, I have no doubt it was an amazing evening for you and am glad you got to experience it ONCE.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Now, given my track record of everything else, and all the cheat days in other aspects, I believe it to be a fact that my sobriety is not of my doing.
Congrats again brother!! (y) :cigar: . I really identify on this -- there's nothing explaining how I made it a year, other than the fact that my H.P. has the wheel. It was no accident.

I just celebrated 2 years and I see now, just as you said, this cant be me.
Love it! (y)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suddenly dealing with a lot of anxiety over Steps 8 & 9...:( My sponsor is recommending I make amends to someone who I established a very robust boundary with almost 3 years ago. This person is more toxic and radioactive than anyone I know (not to mention manipulative, vicious and insanely jealous of my family's happiness). For 20+ years, my sister sank her fangs into me and my wife time and time again until I finally exploded and cut her out of our lives. I have no desire to re-inject this poison into our extremely positive, peaceful existence. I know that's not what my sponsor is asking me to do here; he just wants me to apologize for the way I cut things off (rage, profanity, "you're dead to me," etc.) and clear up my side of the street. I understand that, I really do.

The thing is, I've made two amends to my sister in the past (long before the program) and in both instances she just kept treating us as she always did. The aggravating factor here is that my mother -- who refuses to admit that her daughter is conniving, vitriolic and spiritually sick -- is going to expect me to patch things up and play nice. Unless my sister shows some miraculous spiritual growth, that's not going to happen. I have to protect my family here. My wife is the kindest, most gentle and gracious creature I've ever met (she obviously has to be to put up with my nonsense :rolleyes:). I'm not going to let her be tormented again by my sister.

Just needed to get this off my chest so it doesn't fester. I have no idea how it's going to play out. I keep praying for my sister and for my resentment to lessen, but I see no compelling reason to make another amend. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I would just be opening a HUGE can of worms.

Thanks for listening you guys...j
First let me say sponsors are addicts in recovery with some longer clean time and a working understanding of the steps. With that stated, I mean they are just like us and can be wrong. The 8 and 9 steps as I understand them are for US to clean our side of the street and from what you have shared you have done this and it’s time to turn that relationship to your HP. Please KCB and keep working the problem it will keep you clean and show you how to live in the here and now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
First let me say sponsors are addicts in recovery with some longer clean time and a working understanding of the steps. With that stated, I mean they are just like us and can be wrong. The 8 and 9 steps as I understand them are for US to clean our side of the street and from what you have shared you have done this and it’s time to turn that relationship to your HP. Please KCB and keep working the problem it will keep you clean and show you how to live in the here and now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks @roadmessiah !!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I’m equally excited and anxious today, as I got my first sponsee. (y) He looked like a wounded animal coming down the stairs to our meeting a few days ago. Reminded me of myself just a year ago! But he also had a certain look about him, like he's determined to learn more about himself and do whatever it takes to be a better man. Praying my experience, strength and hope help him! Any 12th Step advice or experience you guys can offer would be great! Hope you all have a great sober day...jason

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Suddenly dealing with a lot of anxiety over Steps 8 & 9...:( My sponsor is recommending I make amends to someone who I established a very robust boundary with almost 3 years ago. This person is more toxic and radioactive than anyone I know (not to mention manipulative, vicious and insanely jealous of my family's happiness). For 20+ years, my sister sank her fangs into me and my wife time and time again until I finally exploded and cut her out of our lives. I have no desire to re-inject this poison into our extremely positive, peaceful existence. I know that's not what my sponsor is asking me to do here; he just wants me to apologize for the way I cut things off (rage, profanity, "you're dead to me," etc.) and clear up my side of the street. I understand that, I really do.

The thing is, I've made two amends to my sister in the past (long before the program) and in both instances she just kept treating us as she always did. The aggravating factor here is that my mother -- who refuses to admit that her daughter is conniving, vitriolic and spiritually sick -- is going to expect me to patch things up and play nice. Unless my sister shows some miraculous spiritual growth, that's not going to happen. I have to protect my family here. My wife is the kindest, most gentle and gracious creature I've ever met (she obviously has to be to put up with my nonsense :rolleyes:). I'm not going to let her be tormented again by my sister.

Just needed to get this off my chest so it doesn't fester. I have no idea how it's going to play out. I keep praying for my sister and for my resentment to lessen, but I see no compelling reason to make another amend. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I would just be opening a HUGE can of worms.

Thanks for listening you guys...j
Glad to see this again. Going through amends with a sponsee right now and I love seeing the changes happening in his life. He's learning that making amends gives him the chance to be the person God wants him to be, regardless of how shitty other people may be. Doing the right thing even when others don't cooperate. That, to me, is the essence of freedom.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm doing this sobriety thing...It's taken me years to accept that I'm an alcoholic mostly becuase my list of "things that haven't happened YET" is very long. I haven't lost my job, lost my home, , lost my wife, got a DUI, been in jail, cheated, stole, ...etc. I, However can see myself merging onto that road. Family members are concerned and co-workers have noticed that I'm not the same person as a few years ago. Step one has been a bear to say the least.

I'm on day 9 and have been to meetings every day since I decided to quit. Meeting have been quite refreshing and therapeutic.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'm doing this sobriety thing...It's taken me years to accept that I'm an alcoholic mostly becuase my list of "things that haven't happened YET" is very long. I haven't lost my job, lost my home, , lost my wife, got a DUI, been in jail, cheated, stole, ...etc. I, However can see myself merging onto that road. Family members are concerned and co-workers have noticed that I'm not the same person as a few years ago. Step one has been a bear to say the least.

I'm on day 9 and have been to meetings every day since I decided to quit. Meeting have been quite refreshing and therapeutic.
Dude! That's a big deal! Keep it going, one day at a time. One hour at a time if need be. Get a sponsor (if you don't already have one) and call him or see him everyday if you can. Keep doing meetings. Get some phone numbers and reach out to guys at meetings. Won't be long before you realize that this isn't even about not drinking, so much as it is a way of life "infinitely more satisfying." I'm always down for a chat if you need help or whatever. PM me anytime or text me/call me/email whatever.

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Today is 2 years sober for me. Yep 2 years without a drink. 2 years one week ago this was something that I longed for but I didn't think it was possible.

@ColdSmoke
Stick with it man, the first 2 weeks were the toughest part of the battle for me and there will be better days ahead. I hated being trapped and controlled and I never want to go back there again. You have encouraged me today by opening up and letting us know you quit drinking. Keep us posted and reach out anytime.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Today is 2 years sober for me. Yep 2 years without a drink. 2 years one week ago this was something that I longed for but didn't I think it was possible.

@ColdSmoke
Stick with it man, the first 2 weeks were the toughest part of the battle for me and there will be better days ahead. I hated being trapped and controlled and I never want to go back there again. You have encouraged me today by opening up and letting us know you quit drinking. Keep us posted and reach out anytime.
Dude! Congrats to you! Two years is a looong time between cocktails!