What's new

Sobriety Thread

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
CONGRATS @JZBdano !! How did you accomplish 2 years? (loaded question! ;)).

@ColdSmoke , welcome to a whole new life of FREEDOM! (y) I love my sobriety...wouldn't trade it for anything. :stop:
Pretty simple, lots of prayer and soul searching. It was one minute at a time those first couple days, one hour at a time those first couple weeks, one day at a time the next couple months. I don't think about it much anymore. Really after suffering through the first couple days I could taste freedom and there was no way I was going to drink again, ever.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Time for a gratitude post! (y)

Have you guys ever noticed so many blessings in your life it makes your head spin? That's how I've felt since putting the drink down. There are literally countless people who have gone out of their way to help me stay sober; my co-sponsor Rob @Discglide comes to mind, as well as every last one of you on this thread. Then there's my sponsor and all the people in my home group. And Eric @8ball (where the hell has that guy been?!), who challenged me to read the Big Book. I met Eric through this great brotherhood; if I hadn't, I wouldn't be sober today. And it was James @THEMISCHMAN and Curtis @zama80 who defied me not to wait another day for my first meeting (so I went).

When I think of where my life was headed with a drink in my hand, as opposed to the trajectory I'm on now, I feel overwhelming peace. And now that I at least recognize that I am NOT the center of the universe (imagine that!), it seems like the sky is the limit for my existence. Perhaps this is that "fourth dimension" the book talks about (?) I mean, even on my absolute worst days, my life is an embarrassment of riches. I'm available for my family (when they actually need me -- not just on my own time :rolleyes:). And I'm only half the self-serving a-hole that I used to be. #gratitude! -- #progress! Hope you all have a great, sober weekend. :cigar:

Rating - 100%
17   0   0

Have you guys ever noticed so many blessings in your life it makes your head spin? That's how I've felt since putting the drink down. There are literally countless people who have gone out of their way to help me stay sober; my co-sponsor Rob @Discglide comes to mind, as well as every last one of you on this thread. Then there's my sponsor and all the people in my home group. And Eric @8ball (where the hell has that guy been?!), who challenged me to read the Big Book. I met Eric through this great brotherhood; if I hadn't, I wouldn't be sober today. And it was James @THEMISCHMAN and Curtis @zama80 who defied me not to wait another day for my first meeting (so I went).

When I think of where my life was headed with a drink in my hand, as opposed to the trajectory I'm on now, I feel overwhelming peace. And now that I at least recognize that I am NOT the center of the universe (imagine that!), it seems like the sky is the limit for my existence. Perhaps this is that "fourth dimension" the book talks about (?) I mean, even on my absolute worst days, my life is an embarrassment of riches. I'm available for my family (when they actually need me -- not just on my own time :rolleyes:). And I'm only half the self-serving a-hole that I used to be. #gratitude! -- #progress! Hope you all have a great, sober weekend. :cigar:
Great post Zippo. Thank you! Exactly what I needed to hear!

Rating - 100%
98   0   0

Great post brother. I love a good gratitude meeting. Keep at it my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0

I’m proud of your progress, Jason. Keep that shit up.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm doing this sobriety thing...It's taken me years to accept that I'm an alcoholic mostly becuase my list of "things that haven't happened YET" is very long. I haven't lost my job, lost my home, , lost my wife, got a DUI, been in jail, cheated, stole, ...etc. I, However can see myself merging onto that road. Family members are concerned and co-workers have noticed that I'm not the same person as a few years ago. Step one has been a bear to say the least.

I'm on day 9 and have been to meetings every day since I decided to quit. Meeting have been quite refreshing and therapeutic.
I little over two years ago I was right where you are. I had all the major "Yets" and had found it hard to fathom that I was an alcoholic. 2 years on and I have no doubt that many of those yets would have come true if I had continued on my prior path. One day at a time, Im putting myself back togeather. The fellowship of AA is the greatest thing I've done that I never wanted to do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hello, brothers and sisters of the leaf!!!

I wanted to stop by and tell ya.....today is my 8 year Sobriety Birthday!! I can hardly believe it! Thanks!

Awesome!!!!!! Congrats!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is 2 years sober for me. Yep 2 years without a drink. 2 years one week ago this was something that I longed for but I didn't think it was possible.

@ColdSmoke
Stick with it man, the first 2 weeks were the toughest part of the battle for me and there will be better days ahead. I hated being trapped and controlled and I never want to go back there again. You have encouraged me today by opening up and letting us know you quit drinking. Keep us posted and reach out anytime.
Way to go, brother!! What an exciting journey!!

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah etc etc. This can be a tough time of year for people like us, especially in early sobriety. Please remember to pick up the phone before you pick up anything else. Wishing everyone a sober holiday season. And remember, its one day at a time.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My heart and my head have been in a good space today. I hope everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season. We have much to be greatful for.

12x12 page 92. (Ad libbed) We will do well in remembering we are sober today only by the grace of God, and any success we may be having is more his success than ours.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Today is my one year birthday. Thanks for all the great advice along the way. All I can do is One Day At A Time. Step 9 here I come.
Congratulations Brother. A major accomplishment. As I've progressed in my sobriety journey the one day at a time principle has taken on new meaning. Yes, its one of the "shields" I use to ward off picking up, but it has also become my mantra for just general living. I can use that saying to combat all of my character defects. I dont have to be lazy ODAAT, I can put others aheads of myself ODAAT, I can have a relationship with a higher power ODAAT... The list goes on.