What's new

Sobriety Thread

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Good to see a bunch of sober friends. Zippogeek, I wish you could have come to EO80's mini herf this weekend. ODAAT.
Thanks Steve! Sad I can't make it, but maybe next year! Hope you guys have a great time...:cigar:

All good here. I picked up my first sponsee. Looking forward to paying it forward.
Good deal Tommy! (y) (y) I have some trepidation about eventually sponsoring someone; "What if I screw it up?" But like Jason @VeLoRoK was telling me yesterday, all I have to do is share my story and give back what was given to me. It's not like I need to be able to quote the book chapter and verse. That's why it was written down.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks Steve! Sad I can't make it, but maybe next year! Hope you guys have a great time...:cigar:

Good deal Tommy! (y) (y) I have some trepidation about eventually sponsoring someone; "What if I screw it up?" But like Jason @VeLoRoK was telling me yesterday, all I have to do is share my story and give back what was given to me. It's not like I need to be able to quote the book chapter and verse. That's why it was written down.
I always found by being a sponsor I learned more going through the steps with them. Plus it's a great way to get out of yourself and try to help others.

When I wanted to drink, no one could keep me from drinking. When I wanted to stay sober, no one could make me to take a drink.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Thanks everyone. I am always humbled every year at this time, and also astounded that I was ever able to not drink for one day. Nothing short of a miracle.
I have said it before and I will continue to say it. If I can do it anyone can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Heard a sad story today about a friend of Bill W's with 22 years under his belt. The guy had what seemed like a great program, working the steps and sponsoring many people over the years. He knew the Big Book backwards and forwards. He attended thousands of meetings. But despite all that time and effort, he eventually encountered one of those "mental blind spots" and found himself with "no effective mental defense against the first drink" (pg. 43). After eight beers he called it a night, got behind the wheel and died when he drove into a wall.

These stories are shared at the tables all the time and they always bother me. But this morning's version is really sticking with me. Praying that I do what I have to do today to stay sober...

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Heard a sad story today about a friend of Bill W's with 22 years under his belt. The guy had what seemed like a great program, working the steps and sponsoring many people over the years. He knew the Big Book backwards and forwards. He attended thousands of meetings. But despite all that time and effort, he eventually encountered one of those "mental blind spots" and found himself with "no effective mental defense against the first drink" (pg. 43). After eight beers he called it a night, got behind the wheel and died when he drove into a wall.

These stories are shared at the tables all the time and they always bother me. But this morning's version is really sticking with me. Praying that I do what I have to do today to stay sober...
Listen, man, nobody is ever magically/accidentally struck drunk out of the blue. We don't keep ourselves sober, to begin with. And if your higher power isn't able to keep you sober without accidentally getting drunk and whacking yourself, then please consider getting a new higher power. Yes, the story is sad and contains a lesson, but "I might get drunk and die at any second" is not it.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Quietly celebrated 24 years the other day. It's kind of amazing to me. There's no magic to this it's just a matter of each day asking for sobriety and not picking up that first drink. The secret I guess is you can't do it by yourself. There has to be a higher power there has to be people there has to be others. You have to know that you're not alone and that there's so many out there like you feeling the exact same things doing the exact same things and struggling exact same way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Quietly celebrated 24 years the other day. It's kind of amazing to me. There's no magic to this it's just a matter of each day asking for sobriety and not picking up that first drink. The secret I guess is you can't do it by yourself. There has to be a higher power there has to be people there has to be others. You have to know that you're not alone and that there's so many out there like you feeling the exact same things doing the exact same things and struggling exact same way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Twenty-four years? That's a pretty good start, brother!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
if your higher power isn't able to keep you sober without accidentally getting drunk and whacking yourself, then please consider getting a new higher power.
Hey now -- my HP can do anything (including, if he so desires, having my Indians finally win a World Series after 7 decades on the schnide!) ;) I am trusting him more and more each day; it's just ME who I don't trust...:cautious:

Yes, the story is sad and contains a lesson, but "I might get drunk and die at any second" is not it.
So what IS the lesson?