What's new

Sobriety Thread

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I’m not entirely sure what I did last Saturday but today I’m giving up drinking.. period. It’s about time. I’m confident I can do it, just wanted to write it down somewhere so it sticks. Here’s to making things better.
Good luck brother. Reach out to those in this thread if you struggle. You dont have to do this alone. Safety in numbers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'm 260 days into being one of the cool kids. The first month is the worst. If you can't do it alone it's all good, I couldn't, treatment twice. You also need a good support net work. For me it was the realization that I couldn't be selfish anymore, my kids are for more important. If you loose the ones you love because of drinking it will be much harder to quit because you will no longer have a good support group.

They say "a bad day sober is better than a good day drinking" I think that's bullshit I've had some GREAT days drinking! But I've had a lot more days drinking that I was a fucking disaster!

I as well as many other on BOTL are available for support/networking if you need.

There's a little saying that helps many of us take it one day at a time:
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, courage to change the things that I can, and wisdom to know the difference"

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
BUMP! Been taking it on the chin with some health issues. But getting through it ODAAT. Got a driving test with the DMV this coming Wed that I need to pass if I want to keep getting to my meetings independently. Hope everyone has been doing great and you guys take some time to check in. Enjoy the blessings!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Zippo, congrats on aceing the drivers test. That should keep you driving for years to come.
Thanks Steve. I don't know if it will last me that long; they're probably going to make me take annual rechecks as my condition is progressive / degenerative (yes brothers, I'm a degenerate! ;)) It's technically a neurological condition I've got, on top of me being an insane alcoholic. The good news is, I'm only a whiny, self-pitying twit 49% of the time...:rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks Steve. I don't know if it will last me that long; they're probably going to make me take annual rechecks as my condition is progressive / degenerative (yes brothers, I'm a degenerate! ;)) It's technically a neurological condition I've got, on top of me being an insane alcoholic. The good news is, I'm only a whiny, self-pitying twit 49% of the time...:rolleyes:
Are you still going to make it to Eran's in Sept? I hope so, I look forward to meeting you and visiting for a while.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
To be totally honest I fell off the wagon. Went well for a month but I’m drinking again. Sorry to admit it but it’s the truth.
:bag:
:banghead:
Munt, thank you for your honesty. Can I ask, what was the excuse or reason to pick up that first drink?
I am not surprised that you drank again, using that plan never worked for me either. I needed help. I learned that I was actually powerless over alcohol and picking up that first drink. Hey, if I can justify the first one, it's easier to justify the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. But the first one is the one that will kill me. But how do I not take that first drink? How do I do that?
I applaud your desire to stop drinking and I suggest you do what most of the rest of us on this thread did, look up Alcoholics Anonymous in your area, start attending meetings, get to know some of the people you can relate to and have what you want. Start finding and living the solution to the problem. It works if you work it.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Munt, thank you for your honesty. Can I ask, what was the excuse or reason to pick up that first drink?
I am not surprised that you drank again, using that plan never worked for me either. I needed help. I learned that I was actually powerless over alcohol and picking up that first drink. Hey, if I can justify the first one, it's easier to justify the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. But the first one is the one that will kill me. But how do I not take that first drink? How do I do that?
I applaud your desire to stop drinking and I suggest you do what most of the rest of us on this thread did, look up Alcoholics Anonymous in your area, start attending meetings, get to know some of the people you can relate to and have what you want. Start finding and living the solution to the problem. It works if you work it.
@The Munt
X2. If you can drink like a responsible adult, power to ya, but most of us can't. We may think we can after a stint of sobriety, and many of us have tried, only to find that we can't keep the wolves at bay for very long. If you are serious about quitting I strongly recommend these 2 books. One can be purchased anywhere books are sold,it's a best seller. The other is free at meetings. Your honesty is HUGE and no one will judge you for falling. I've never met an alcoholic that hasn't fell at least once. It's not only important to take it one day at a time, but set goals (short term and long term) and find hobbies to occupy your time. For me reading the big book helped a lot. If you choose to start reading remember it's "GOD as YOU interpret him". Last thing, MOST alcoholics drink to self medicate for anxiety. I strongly recommend stress and anxiety tea when you have down time when you'd usually drink, melatonin helps with sleep as well. For me the first 3 months were the worst. Not to scare you but all of us AA boys have buried friends due to alcohol. Today is 301 for me! We're here when you decide you need us!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Hey there my SoBros! I'm starting a new AA meeting! It's going to be a virtual meeting held via Hangouts. Called the Sober Stogies Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. (I had also considered "Some Are Cigar Than Others" lol) So why don't you grab a cup of coffee, fire up a cigar, and join me this Sunday for the inaugural meeting at 11am Central Time. Create the fellowship you crave! I'll get the hangout up and running and post a link here at 10:30 Sunday. Meeting will start promptly some time around 11ish. It's gonna be great!

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hey there my SoBros! I'm starting a new AA meeting! It's going to be a virtual meeting held via Hangouts. Called the Sober Stogies Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. (I had also considered "Some Are Cigar Than Others" lol) So why don't you grab a cup of coffee, fire up a cigar, and join me this Sunday for the inaugural meeting at 11am Central Time. Create the fellowship you crave! I'll get the hangout up and running and post a link here at 10:30 Sunday. Meeting will start promptly some time around 11ish. It's gonna be great!
I'm curious as to how that's gonna go.....

Not sure what my Sunday looks like with the kids and what not. Tag me when the link goes up bro

Stupid Tapatalk