What's new

Started Humidor Project

Kenny

Learning The Ropes
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OK, I just applied my second coat of stain today. Me and the boys been out most of the week messing around for their Spring Break. Im useing Spiced Walnut for my stain to get as close as possable to my entertainment center I have in the living room. I have purchased half inch insulationto to line the inside of the cabinet before I line it with Honduran Mohagony. The trays will be made of 100% Spanish Cedar. I am purchasing a 10-15 degree cooling and the humidification unit from Bob Staebell this week. Also, I have purchased some LED lights to put inside so at night I can turn them on low to admire it. Next will be the rails so I can have sliding trays. Next week I believe. Here are some updated picture.

Attachments

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
seriously...that's gorgeous

I think it's great how your doing the project with your boys. seems like a piece that will undoubtly become an heirloom, and your boys will appreciate it even more the day they acquire it.

awesome project man!

Kenny

Learning The Ropes
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Finaly received all the wood I ordered today. I have more spanish cedar than I will need plus honduran mahogany to finish this one and build me a custom desktop or something. I have the insulation the only thing missing is the cooling unit and humidification unit which I will purchase the complete kit from Staebell & Associates next week.

Oyeah, I purchased the wood or better yet won it on ebay auction from these people. Best service anyone can ask for.

http://cookwoods.com/

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Im looking into a thermoelectric cooling system to maintain a 68-72 degree temp year round and a CMT digital set it and forget it humidification unit with a couple of PC cooling fans to move the air around.
I'm not sure how much success you'll have keeping things too cool if you don't insulate the cabinet.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Where did you get your cedar? I need to find some to buy?
Hey Donk, there's a Woodcraft store near the Fox River mall in Appleton that usually carries SC lumber. Otherwise if you search for "spanish cedar lumber" on e-bay, there's always a bunch on there and you can usually get it at a pretty good price even shipped. All the cedar I've gotten off e-bay has been VERY nice quality.

Wade

Kenny

Learning The Ropes
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update, this is the humi with its 4th coat of stain and a coat of polyurethane clear on it. I need one more coat depending on the feel and look of the cabinet. The color is very close to my entertainment center which is what I wanted reason for so many coats of stain. I just kept adding till I felt it was there. Now just to get the luster the same and we are in business. Hopefully next week work permitted I will finish that part up and order my cooling and humidification unit from Staebells. Then I will insulate it and cut the holes I need for the lighting and fans etc etc. I hope to finish by the end of May. I have 2 boxes of anejo#50 and 2 boxes of sand sharks coming and a few others Ive been looking for.

Attachments