What's new

Steak Marinade Help

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Good day brothers,

I have noticed alot of you us here love our food and I was wondering if anyone had a solid steak marinade.

I am looking to make the wife a nice dinner this week and I want to make her a steak she won't forget. Anyone have a marinade that they always go to.

Thanks,
JM

Sent from my Tapatalk 2 using iPhone. Bahahahaha ass backwards.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
What do you like?

I use plain old montreal steak seasoning for a dry rub if I am looking for something "peppery"..... I just put it on the steaks.. and leave them alone for about 24 hours.. then throw them on the grill..

My favorite "off the shelf" marinade is Dales... Its a little on the salty side.. but the flavor is outstanding.. I use it on chicken and pork as well... great stuff.. not sure if its available in the great white north though...

http://www.buythecase.net/product/63029/Dale's_Steak_Seasoning/?utm_source=adcenter&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=IDS_Products+2&utm_term=Dale's+Steak+Seasoning+&CAPCID=2032607655&CA_6C15C=1801510127

If I want to do something really special.. I make my own... Ive got a couple of different marinade recipies.. my "go-to" for the past year or so has been a jalapeno marinade...

4x jalapeno peppers (finely minced)
2x tea spoons of sea salt
1 1/2 cups of water
3 garlic cloves (finely minced)
1 teaspoon fresh oregeno (finely ground)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 cup red wine vinegar

get all of this stuff mixed up real good... and put it in a 1 gallon zip lock bag.. throw your steaks in the bag.. put it all into the fridge.. and leave it alone for 24 hours..

the do your business on the grill... and enjoy! :)

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
When I do steaks I normally just do the Montreal seasoning as well. I am not the biggest steak person, the wife loves a good steak though but she wants it cooked DEAD!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I never marinate steaks personally. I've done it in the past but I've found that if I'm marinating I'm using a lesser quality cut like flank or skirt. When I cook steaks, I generally use a dry rub of kosher salt, garlic powder, hot Mexican chilli powder, and ground black pepper. Sometimes after they've been turned I will toss a little butter on top, but too much and your crisp sear will become blah. If you buy the right steak, you don't want to over-complicate it. Get something with a heavy marble, and be sure to rub the salt into the fat so it will crisp up and caramelize. If you want to go a step further find some fresh heads of garlic, cut the bottoms off, and roast them as a side. One of my favorite steak additions. Also, a good mashed potato (from scratch, not store bought or instant) is a must! For a veggie I would look towards the traditional pairings like fresh steamed asparagus. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
the wife loves a good steak though but she wants it cooked DEAD!
This makes me want to cry... Ha ha! Whenever I cook for people I refuse to go above a medium unless they bought the meat... It becomes moot to have spent the extra money on the cut. That said, I've had my wife go through phases where she wouldn't eat red meat, so it's good that she's not taking it that far! Fortunately I've gotten that worked out of her and she is a mid-rare girl all day...

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If I want to do something really special.. I make my own... Ive got a couple of different marinade recipies.. my "go-to" for the past year or so has been a jalapeno marinade...

4x jalapeno peppers (finely minced)
2x tea spoons of sea salt
1 1/2 cups of water
3 garlic cloves (finely minced)
1 teaspoon fresh oregeno (finely ground)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 cup red wine vinegar
This sounds like it would be great on poultry! Have you tried it with chicken breast?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This all sounds awesome guys. I actually split with my old man on a half cow. So I have every cut there is lol.

This is top quality as the guy we get the meat from is a close family friend.

I'm not huge on marinating steaks either I like red meat as is but I am trying to do something different for her.

A nice dry rub sounds good.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I never marinade steaks either, it can make the meat mealy. I totally agree with olive oil, kosher or sea salt and pepper, or the Monteal seasoning. I use the Montreal seasing more than anything else.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The cut of meat, and how it's cooked is far more important than the seasoning.

Kosher salt, and fresh cracked pepper on a good cut, cooked perfectly steak is the way to go.

Make sure you let the meat get room temperature before cooking, and then let it sit for 5 minutes before cutting into it after pulling it off the heat.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
This sounds like it would be great on poultry! Have you tried it with chicken breast?
I havent.. but I did a slight variation on a pork tenderloin about a month ago that turned out really well...

Ive got some chicken in the freezer that needs to be introduced to the smoker this weekend (along with some brisket, some pork ribs, and some more tenderlion)... I might give it a whirl on the chicken and see how it turns out...

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Like the other guys have said. I do Salt Pepper and Olive Oil. Pull the steak out 15 minutes prior to throwing on the grill (at minimum) longer if you feel comfy with it. I try to let the steak get as close to room temp as possible before throwing it on the grill.

Beyond that, its all about the quality and choice of meat.

IMO.

-Chrisso

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
Kosher salt and pepper only for me, and clean and oil the hot grill grates before putting the steaks on. I like about 4 min per side, and rotate them 90 degrees after 2 min, get the nice crosshatch grill marks.

A1 and ketchup have no place in my kitchen.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Lots of good recommendations here.

If you want to try something different, do a combination dry rub with Montreal seasoning and Blackened/Cajun seasoning. It is very good. Some of the high end steakhouses sell a blackened/Cajun ribeye that melts in your mouth.

I believe it's the The Capitol Grille that serves a Kona Coffee dry rub steak. I had it once and it was good, but I prefer the blackened one better.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
That makes sense the actual grilling I'm very good at but the prep I have never paid alot of attention too.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
things like not putting the meat on the grill until it has reached room temp.. and not plating the meat (or cutting it) until it has had ample time to "rest" after its been pulled from the heat (for most cuts about 6-8 minutes is plenty of time) are key.. they make a huge difference... much more (IMO) than which marinade or seasoning you use..

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Lots of good recommendations here.

If you want to try something different, do a combination dry rub with Montreal seasoning and Blackened/Cajun seasoning. It is very good. Some of the high end steakhouses sell a blackened/Cajun ribeye that melts in your mouth.

I believe it's the The Capitol Grille that serves a Kona Coffee dry rub steak. I had it once and it was good, but I prefer the blackened one better.
I've had the Kona steak rub at Capital, and it's definitely good but not something I would do regularly. I wholeheartedly agree with the blackened flavor, which is why I use the chilli powder. It doesn't make the flavor "hot," just more full and adds to the crispness of the sear.

If you want to step things up a bit too, something I like to do is make a topping of minced garlic and minced kosher pickles. I got the idea from an appetizer Pebbles used to make about 10-15 years ago called thumb bits. Basically a crouton square with a piece of NY Strip topped with the garlic and pickle relish. Anyone I know that has tried it flipped for it. They discontinued the app which made me think it was more about the executive chef they had at the time, and it was before they started franchising/expanding. Damn shame.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I'll do tritips rubbed in butter, thyme, garlic, and/or tequila and lime...

When I use tequila, I only let out soak for a couple hours.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2