What's new

Steak Marinade Help

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
My dry rub for steak is.

Equal parts Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, and half the amount of Dry Mustard. A friend is a chef and he gave me that mix, that was 2 years ago and that is all we have used.

Good luck.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I remember reading or seeing on a cooking show that the trick to grilling a good steak is a good cut of meat but then searing each side then turning the heat down. Searing it basically cortirizes the meat and seals in the juices. Don't know if it's true but works for me. As for actually using a marinade I use Olive oil, salt and a little Balsamic or OJ, pepper or just grill it plain.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This thread is killing me. I'm craving a steak dinner now. HA!
I hear you brother! I had to go on a radically special diet and I haven't had red meat in over a week!!! I grew up on a beef farm and I'm a devout carnivore. The closest thing that I've had to meat is fake sausage at Ethos on Sunday night.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Some one mentioned something similar but I would say weather you marinade or dry rub what u do on top of or around the steak can make it special too. A simple crab imperial or mushroom wine sauce or a salsa gets points in flavor and presentation and I not difficult to do

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ruth Chris Steak House has some of the best steaks and the only thing they do is sear is and cook it in what taste like just butter and salt. But they are soooooo good. Oh also anyone in the Kissimmee FL area should also stop by Charlie's Steak House! They flame cook the steaks over citrus wood. Really really good. They were rated 6th best steak house in the states! A little $$$ but well worth it.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Ruth Chris Steak House has some of the best steaks and the only thing they do is sear is and cook it in what taste like just butter and salt. But they are soooooo good. Oh also anyone in the Kissimmee FL area should also stop by Charlie's Steak House! They flame cook the steaks over citrus wood. Really really good. They were rated 6th best steak house in the states! A little $$$ but well worth it.
This is just as an aside, but there are a few Charlies in the area. The original is actually off of OBT. Definitely a very good steak, but not the best in the area. If you are in the Kissimmee area at any point, you should check out Old Hickory in the Gaylord Palms. Bad ass steak and really good lobster bisque. Also, Del Frisco's and Fleming's are in Orlando and Winter Park. I see you are in NH, but if you come back down you should definitely check them out. You can't really go wrong with any of them. :thumbsup:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
PLEASE don't marinade a quality steak cut. A good cut of meat just needs some seasoning prior to cooking. And if you use salt, don't put it on until just before you throw it on the grill; salt will pull out the juicy flavor if you let it sit on there for an extended amount of time, or at least that's what I was taught way back when.

try this if you wish

Kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper
cumin
garlic powder
onion powder
just a small touch of Cajun seasoning for some slight heat.

Also here's another tip for that true steakhouse flavor...
smear a bunch of bacon grease on your steak after you season it. rub it down on both sides with the grease. heat the grill til its very hot. flop that meat on there and watch it flame up. Don't walk away from it because youre using bacon grease to sear that meat. Put the meat on at a 45 degree angle. after about 90 seconds or whenever the flame starts to die down, rotate the meat 90 degrees to get those X marks. Cook for another 90 seconds or so and then flip in the same 45 degree manner. It will flame up again, so don't walk away. Total cooking time will be about 6 minutes on a 3/4 inch to 1" cut for a rare to medium rare temp. Add another minute or two for mid-rare or longer if you must kill it before you eat it.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
PLEASE don't marinade a quality steak cut. A good cut of meat just needs some seasoning prior to cooking. And if you use salt, don't put it on until just before you throw it on the grill; salt will pull out the juicy flavor if you let it sit on there for an extended amount of time, or at least that's what I was taught way back when.

try this if you wish

Kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper
cumin
garlic powder
onion powder
just a small touch of Cajun seasoning for some slight heat.

Also here's another tip for that true steakhouse flavor...
smear a bunch of bacon grease on your steak after you season it. rub it down on both sides with the grease. heat the grill til its very hot. flop that meat on there and watch it flame up. Don't walk away from it because youre using bacon grease to sear that meat. Put the meat on at a 45 degree angle. after about 90 seconds or whenever the flame starts to die down, rotate the meat 90 degrees to get those X marks. Cook for another 90 seconds or so and then flip in the same 45 degree manner. It will flame up again, so don't walk away. Total cooking time will be about 6 minutes on a 3/4 inch to 1" cut for a rare to medium rare temp. Add another minute or two for mid-rare or longer if you must kill it before you eat it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ed Zachary...

KK33

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I agree with others that say don't marinate a good steak. However if you want to do something different, compromise and make a good sauce. There are the traditional bernaise etc, but for something different I like to make a chimichurri sauce which is traditional is South America. Go to Nicaragua? Yep... chimichurri steak. You can make the sauce in advance and let it sit at room temp. I spoon the sauce over the steak before serving.

Do a google search for recipes as there are different ways to do it, but I do:
- olive oil
- fresh garlic
- parsley
- little bit of cilantro
- little bit of red pepper flakes
- dash of red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper

I use a mini food processor and blend it all together. You don't need to do that but can simply chop up the few ingredients and mix it together with oil etc.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is just as an aside, but there are a few Charlies in the area. The original is actually off of OBT. Definitely a very good steak, but not the best in the area. If you are in the Kissimmee area at any point, you should check out Old Hickory in the Gaylord Palms. Bad ass steak and really good lobster bisque. Also, Del Frisco's and Fleming's are in Orlando and Winter Park. I see you are in NH, but if you come back down you should definitely check them out. You can't really go wrong with any of them. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info I am always looking for a new good steak house to try! And I do plan on going back to Florida at some point. Good looking out!!!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
You really want to mind "f" someone? Have em salt the cut of meat right before it goes into the mouth. Amazing all u need is just 2 pieces of kosher on each bite to bring out the true flavors.
Want a dry rub?
Emerals essence.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My personal preference is fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, a little bit of salt.

If you are looking for a marinade, I go one of two ways: no specific measurements, but worcestershire sauce, red wine, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, fine graded parmesan.

Second option is to use Basque Meat Marinade. Is an excellent base marinade. For steaks, I add a little worcestershire sauce and garlic. The Basque Meat Marinade is perfect for chicken. nothing else needed.

Another tip for marinades, use large gallon sized zip loc bags for marinating. When zipping up the bag, squeeze the air out of the bag. Need less juice for the marinade and marinates both sides at the same time. Yes, let the meat get to room temperature before grilling. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I think it's a crime to marinate a good quality steak, I've had my share of "adventures" with different marinades in the past, I'm sure James will chime in here with my worst marinade adventure ever.

Whenever I feel like something different, or special, I grab the a couple of the most marbled bone in ribeyes I can find and sprinkle some Everglades seasoning, fresh cracked pepper, sea salt, and fresh garlic on em, stick em in a vacuum sealed bag for 45 minutes to an hour, get the grill good an hot, sear the outside, then turn it WAY down finish em to a nice rare/mid rade, and serve with sautéed onions and grilled asparagus drizzled with a little garlic butter sauce, and a couple Yorkshire puds!!! The puds are perfect for mopping up the juices!

And I just made myself hungry!!!

iPhone5 from tapatalk sent was this.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Personally I think it's a crime to marinate a good quality steak, I've had my share of "adventures" with different marinades in the past, I'm sure James will chime in here with my worst marinade adventure ever.

Whenever I feel like something different, or special, I grab the a couple of the most marbled bone in ribeyes I can find and sprinkle some Everglades seasoning, fresh cracked pepper, sea salt, and fresh garlic on em, stick em in a vacuum sealed bag for 45 minutes to an hour, get the grill good an hot, sear the outside, then turn it WAY down finish em to a nice rare/mid rade, and serve with sautéed onions and grilled asparagus drizzled with a little garlic butter sauce, and a couple Yorkshire puds!!! The puds are perfect for mopping up the juices!

Ha ha ha, you mean when that huge porterhouse was soaked in a bottle of Remy? Never been drunk from eating a piece of meat before or after... HA! Those were the days.... I will attest that you've stepped your game up a hell of a lot since then...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ha ha ha, you mean when that huge porterhouse was soaked in a bottle of Remy? Never been drunk from eating a piece of meat before or after... HA! Those were the days.... I will attest that you've stepped your game up a hell of a lot since then...
Oh the days when we didn't know better and didn't care, lol.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If Chef chimes in, he will fix you up, proper. He perfected my blackening recipe. Dude knows chow.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD