What's new

The Fairtax Book...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Anyone else pick this book up yet? By Neal Boorts and John Linder.

I'm about a third of the way through it so far. I think it's one hell of an intriguing idea...I just wonder if it can actually be made to happen.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
vipe said:
I knew there had to be proof out there that he's a dick!
:awholelot Dave knows I love him. The funny part is I JUST read the shirt!!! :nodlaugh:

I read over that site and it's fairly compelling but will reserve judgement until I read the book. Thanks for posting the link :thumbsup:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Definately grab the book Mark. It's very interesting. It won't be easy but I'm actually convinced this can happen. :thumbsup:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
LOL, I got ripped off buying mine at the mall! Oh well, at least I know some of the money's going directly to the cause. The book is incredibly easy to read. They tend to repeat some stuff a bit much for me but you can tell it's because they want to drive certain points home.

Think about this: a national sales tax on all new goods and services would, for the first time, tax illegal earnings.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Just picked it up at Costco and plan on reading it while on vacation in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the tip Todd!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If you read the book or check out the website and like what you see it takes about 5 minutes of effort to do something positive for "the cause".

First go here http://www.house.gov/. At the top of the page you can put in your zip+4 and it will tell you who your representative is. Then go here: http://www.fairtaxvolunteer.org/scorecards/index.html and find out where your representative stands on the issue. If they are for it, send them a quick email or letter thanking them and letting them know you support them. If they are leaning for it, do the same, letting them know you are all for it and hell, ask them for their thoughts on the issue and why they are only "leaning". If against or leaning against, do the same thing. Ask them why. Ask them if they have read the legislation. See what they have to say and start working on them to change their view.

Ignorance of what the FairTax is about is probably the biggest single hurrdle in getting this thing passed. I brought the issue up last night at the local poker game and two people had heard of it. One said, "sounds good on paper, but probably won't work," and the other said, "it'll hurt the poor people,".:frownno:

Neither had read the book or the legislation and unfortunately I couldn't continue the conversation any further, but that second objection shows complete ignorance of how the FairTax is supposed to work. Anyone who's read the book, checked out the web site thoroughly or read the legislation would know that.

For those of you who were involved in getting the AW ban killed, you know what this is going to take. Just a few minutes of your time can make a huge difference folks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
N2Advnture said:
Just picked it up at Costco and plan on reading it while on vacation in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the tip Todd!
You plan on reading a book about a new tax plan on your vacation??? Boy, you sure know how to live Mark!!!

:roundtheh :roundtheh :eyepoke: :eyepoke: :nodlaugh:

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
tubaman said:
You plan on reading a book about a new tax plan on your vacation??? Boy, you sure know how to live Mark!!!
:agreesmil I don't get much time to read so I figured it better than nothing...well, on second thought, maybe not. :hysterica

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
wasch_24 said:
If this is based soley on purchases, it is unfair and allows the very wealthy to escape paying their fair share(which they do now anyways)....I"m not talking about people who make even six figures....I always think that the people that get behind this are usually the ones that have the bucks anyways...They just sell the little folks a bill of goods for thier own gain.

I need to look into this more though. I have absolutey no arguement with paying my share. How they spend it is something else..

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
allanf said:
If this is based soley on purchases, it is unfair and allows the very wealthy to escape paying their fair share(which they do now anyways)....I"m not talking about people who make even six figures....I always think that the people that get behind this are usually the ones that have the bucks anyways...They just sell the little folks a bill of goods for thier own gain.

I need to look into this more though. I have absolutey no arguement with paying my share. How they spend it is something else..
How can you say it favors the very wealthy? After the 'prebate' they end up paying a much, much higher percentage than the rest of the nation. Look at #13 and #14 in the FAQ link.

If anything it is unfair for the ultra wealthy (nine figures). Which IMO is NOT a bad thing.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
wasch_24 said:
How can you say it favors the very wealthy? After the 'prebate' they end up paying a much, much higher percentage than the rest of the nation. Look at #13 and #14 in the FAQ link.

If anything it is unfair for the ultra wealthy (nin figures). Which IMO is NOT a bad thing.

As I said, I need to look into this more. But a flat tax , based on purchases seems bad...Why should someone who is living below the poverty level have to pay the same tax on something(clothes, household goods) as someone who makes a hundred times as much? It ends up being a huge percentage relative to their income/net worth....