What's new

The Fairtax Book...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If this keeps up I may just have to ask someone to gift it to me for my upcoming belly button Birtday, it's a big one and I need to start planning for my old age...I plan on being comfortable, having a nice belly and some nice fat cigars to smoke in my retirement....

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
It's $16.47 at Amazon and cheaper elsewhere...I'd find somehting a little more interesting to ask for for your birthday bro'! LOL And I forgot you were in CA, so my NJ statement didn't make much sense. :oops:

And Clay, GO READ IT BROTHER! :razz:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
This is another excellent link on the FairTax and it directly addresses some of your points Allan: Link

Specifically, check out numbers 6 (and the chart below it in particular) and 10. They specifically address your points on the poor and the rich.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Can I make the grand leap here and say that I think you have an agenda? :)

What is wrong with the tax system the way it is? Like the a-holes that are trying to destroy social security...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Allan, I certainly do have an agenda! :hysterica I absolutely hate the current tax scheme and I believe this is the best possible answer.

I don't want to be an ass here, so please, take my comments for what they are worth. First off, I can't honestly understand how you can ask what's wrong with the current tax system with a straight face. And I know this next comment will get some rolled eyes, but READ THE DANG BOOK!

That being said, here's a couple of responses that are in no way inclusive:
1. The current system favors special interests and gives individuals as well as corporations ways to "game" the system.
2. Witholding. It's a scam.
3. Though I'm in no way a "soak the rich" kind of guy, I think we all know they pay less than their fair share in many cases under the current system. No way around it with the Fairtax.

There's plenty more, but seriously, you need to read the book.

As to Social Security, can we leave that for another thread? This is not a cure for social security. The authors even started to say that in the book before caving and saying it would be (my one complaint about the entire book, so I'm willing to overlook it). This is a different way to fund the government, pure and simple. It's not a cure for SS, Medicare or Medicaid. It isn't a cure for Government over-spending or for broken down entitlement programs. It's simply a better way to fund the government. I'm more than happy to discuss the other issues on other threads, but let's keep this one on the FairTax, please?

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Take it to the debate room boys.....

.....well, when we get enough votes take it there.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ashy said:

Good point....

And we need to keep this civil and emotions out of it..>I"m just asking questions and playing devils's advocate.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
allanf said:
Good point....

And we need to keep this civil and emotions out of it..>I"m just asking questions and playing devils's advocate.
Allan, you have every right to ask questions. Just understand that if you keep asking questions that are directly addressed in the book, e.g. "What's wrong with the tax system the way it is?" then you are going to continue to be urged to read the book.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Allan, You can find that info on Fairtax's website, but I'll happily transfer it here.

There are currently 37 co-sponsors to H.R. 25. Based on their polling, there are 60 reps in favor, 67 more who leaning in favor of it, and 43 against with another 39 leaning against it. The rest of the house is listed under "Will Not Commit", and we all know what that means. It's all a matter of how vocal people are with their representatives. Those Will Not Commits will certainly start moving to other columns as soon as they start hearing from their constituents enough.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
So, if we combine those...

...all for it with those leaning for it we get 127.

...against it with those leaning against it we get 82.

And way too many that don't know yet.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
They only "don't know" because their constituents don't know. No politician makes a move without knowing what the voters are going to think about it...at least no politician that wants to stay in office, LOL!

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Ashy said:

Agreed. Let's keep the discussion here light and about the book.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Can we get this bill passed already!?

I just got my quarterly bonus and 41% :bigeyes: got taken from right under my nose by the current tax system! :angerhead