What's new

The first shave!

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Alright gents after seeing all the shave posts here I got very intrigued and finally took the plunge into Wet Shaving. I spent a bunch of time poking around here and some other sites I settled on the gear, watched videos on technique, and did my first shave today!

Here's the gear list

Prep: Hot shower and Dove Men+Care Hydrate Fash Wash
Pre Shave: rdomfoto Oil #5
Brush: No clue - think it's a boar brush
Cream: C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE86811
Blade: Derby Extra
Aftershave: Arctic Blue

Now let's take a look at all that wonderful stuff

Seems like we're missing something though. Ah yeah one more component required… my ugly mug!

So the first thing I did was hop in the shower to soften up the bead and get a wash in with the Dove Hydrate. While I did that I let the bowl and brush soak with some hot water.

After finishing the shower I went with a couple drops of rdomfoto's oil and then started to work up the later. Remember only a little cream goes a long way!

About two minutes later I had a wonderful later built up. I look forward to getting a badger brush to see the difference in production and effort.

Few figure eights and some painting and the face is ready

Am I really about to do this?

I guess so! A short time later (discussed below) and we arrived at the finished product!

------------------------

Okay so if you make it through all of that let's discuss. I really really enjoyed the prep work that went into this. Building the lather and applying to the face was extremely soothing to me. For the shave I performed 3 passes all with the grain. Because of this my face isn't as smooth as it could be, but I wanted to focus on technique (angle and pressure). Thankfully I think I got the hang of it quickly and managed to get through the entire shave without a single nick, cut, or razor burn!

Another plus was that my face stood up well to the abuse and there was no real bite when I applied the aftershave.

So I have to say it was a great experience and I'm glad I took the plunge. I look forward to my second shave tomorrow and can see this turning into quite the ride with all the variables to experiment with!

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Paper cuts hurt like hell so I'm definitely not ready to get one of those blades near my jugular. Maybe I'll grow a pair and experiment with this. Maybe.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
After you build the lather on your face paint upward. You will see that when you do this the hairs will stand straight up! So apply with circles then paint upward just before operating the blade to face.

Nice job. The first time I straight razor'ed my face I pretty much filleted it,

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
After you build the lather on your face paint upward. You will see that when you do this the hairs will stand straight up! So apply with circles then paint upward just before operating the blade to face.

Nice job. The first time I straight razor'ed my face I pretty much filleted it,
Thanks for the tip! After the circles I painted sideways not up and down (which makes sense now that you mention it) because I saw someone in a video go side to side. It may be hard to see, but how does my lather look?

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
How smooth a shave does this provide compared to the usual triple blade?
It's pretty universally regarded amongst practitioners that this is the easiest way to get a BSS (baby skin smooth) shave and no irritation, but it does require a lot of preparation and good technique. Today's shave. my first, produced good results, but not any better than a cartridge razor. I know that it will take time to perfect though and with each run the results should improve.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
How smooth a shave does this provide compared to the usual triple blade?
It's pretty universally regarded amongst practitioners that this is the easiest way to get a BSS (baby skin smooth) shave and no irritation, but it does require a lot of preparation and good technique. Today's shave. my first, produced good results, but not any better than a cartridge razor. I know that it will take time to perfect though and with each run the results should improve.
Cool. Never really looked into this before.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I'll get those blade I promised out to you on Monday ... just got tied up with some crap at work. Also the advice on the internet is exactly that ... advice. What works for someone else may not work for you. Take it for what it is and adapt from there. Looks like you're on a good path to great shaves though!

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I'll get those blade I promised out to you on Monday ... just got tied up with some crap at work. Also the advice on the internet is exactly that ... advice. What works for someone else may not work for you. Take it for what it is and adapt from there. Looks like you're on a good path to great shaves though!
No worries man :D And I'm trying to take all the info with a grain of salt!

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Shave two went well today. I used the same setup except I skipped the preshave oil and I actually did get a little razorburn on the neck. Still a good shave though and overall smoother today too.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Shave two went well today. I used the same setup except I skipped the preshave oil and I actually did get a little razorburn on the neck. Still a good shave though and overall smoother today too.
I find the pre-shave oil "almost* optional for me. I have two spots where my skin is sensitive and susceptible to razor burn. Did you change your technique today?

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
What is the draw to this hobby? I ask because I like weird hobbies. Like watches.

But I kinda just shave and try to get it over with because it's 0355 and I'm about to be late for work.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
For me it's two things. First, I love things with ritual: opening and pouring a bottle of wine, cutting and lighting a cigar, etc. Shaving also has that for me. The second part goes hand in had with ritual and that's the relaxation part. Most of my day is spent rushing around so the five or 10 minutes it takes to give myself a great shave is another small amount of time I get to dedicate to myself and relax.

But, if you're trying to wake up and get moving at 03:55, I'm not sure I'd recommend you holding a razor blade to your face! LOL