What's new

The first shave!

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Shave two went well today. I used the same setup except I skipped the preshave oil and I actually did get a little razorburn on the neck. Still a good shave though and overall smoother today too.
I find the pre-shave oil "almost* optional for me. I have two spots where my skin is sensitive and susceptible to razor burn. Did you change your technique today?
Well I would say I'm still learning my technique and facial topography (not as important with cartridges) so yeah it probably wasn't the same :)

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
For me it's two things. First, I love things with ritual: opening and pouring a bottle of wine, cutting and lighting a cigar, etc. Shaving also has that for me. The second part goes hand in had with ritual and that's the relaxation part. Most of my day is spent rushing around so the five or 10 minutes it takes to give myself a great shave is another small amount of time I get to dedicate to myself and relax.

But, if you're trying to wake up and get moving at 03:55, I'm not sure I'd recommend you holding a razor blade to your face! LOL
I have nothing to add. Robb nailed it

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've started shaving with a brush. Bought my first at Target and it's great, my second from a gift pack from The Art of Shaving and it's awful. Razor is a Gillette Quattro with a standard handle and blades. I do use the Art of Shaving pre-shave oil and it makes a positive difference. I take two passes with my Target brush and Gillette Mach 3 - the first with the grain, the second against. Doing it this way I've had one ingrown hair in about 18 months - previously I'd have them about every other month with a three blade razor and Edge gel.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I've started shaving with a brush. Bought my first at Target and it's great, my second from a gift pack from The Art of Shaving and it's awful. Razor is a Gillette Quattro with a standard handle and blades. I do use the Art of Shaving pre-shave oil and it makes a positive difference. I take two passes with my Target brush and Gillette Mach 3 - the first with the grain, the second against. Doing it this way I've had one ingrown hair in about 18 months - previously I'd have them about every other month with a three blade razor and Edge gel.
Now you just need to pick up a Double Edge Safety Razor :D

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Nice work man.
Pretty much the same as my routine, just different products.
I shave first pass w/ the grain, second pass across it (ear to nose). Only on my neck do I go against the grain on the second pass.
Key thing to remember is first pass is to knock down the big stuff, second to finish it off. My face is so much smoother since switching to a DE then it ever was w/ a cartridge.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
:sigh: Drank the Kool-Aid a few minutes ago and bought the DE. Jay, if I end up a bloodied mess this weekend (from shaving anyway), Imma kickin' yer ass on Monday. :stickbeat

I picked up the Edwin Jagger De89lbl (it's the chrome plated one). I've been using everything else (oil, cream, brush, after balm) for a long time now but I'm taking the plunge into the DE world. Courtesy of Amazon Prime, should all be here on Thursday.

Now to go check out some YT videos

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
:sigh: Drank the Kool-Aid a few minutes ago and bought the DE. Jay, if I end up a bloodied mess this weekend (from shaving anyway), Imma kickin' yer ass on Monday. :stickbeat

I picked up the Edwin Jagger De89lbl (it's the chrome plated one). I've been using everything else (oil, cream, brush, after balm) for a long time now but I'm taking the plunge into the DE world. Courtesy of Amazon Prime, should all be here on Thursday.

You're going to love it brother.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

You're going to love it brother.
I am really excited, actually. I love shaving and having to be more careful (a.k.a. slower) with the razor will likely heighten the enjoyment.

It's funny, my wife hates shaving her legs as all women seem to do. She asked me a couple of years ago why I enjoy shaving and I explained the whole concept of ritual, the outcome, etc. I realized that if someone could convince women that shaving their legs was an activity to enjoy and the actual process a quiet ritual, they'd do it a lot more often. Now it's a chore that they all hate (because it seems like a chore)

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0

I look forward to a BSS rdomfoto on Monday and not getting my ass kicked :D

Also wanted to say excellent choice in razor!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

I look forward to a BSS rdomfoto on Monday and not getting my ass kicked :D

Also wanted to say excellent choice in razor!
Nah, it's all good. If I nick myself once, okay. If I nick a second time... alright. But if I keep going at that point, I'm an idiot.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Alright gentlemen I have done it. I made the plunge made my purchase prepared for the shave and gone all in.

This is where I began a weeks worth of growth.

I began with a hot shower. I scrubbed the face clean and kept her well hydrated.

My omega boar brush sat in my hot water bowl.

Used some The Strop Shoppe Special Edition Shaving Soap-Lemon Eucalyptus not a very good lather that I made. Much much harder then I expected it to be. It worked out but definitely need tips and practise.

So the shave went well. I made 3 passes. 2 with the grain and 1 against the grain. No nicks or rash.

I used a shark blade I am unsure which type of blade it was I know it was a shark though lol.

I ice water my face and then I used dove post shave balm for sensitive skin.

Well looking forward to the next shave tomorrow going to go for everyday or every other.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
my first lather with soap was really crappy too. What I found helped was to put about a tablespoon of hot water on the puck before I went to shower. Was much easier to load the brush that way and made a huge difference imo

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
my first lather with soap was really crappy too. What I found helped was to put about a tablespoon of hot water on the puck before I went to shower. Was much easier to load the brush that way and made a huge difference imo
That is what I read online just a short while ago. I am hoping that works. I am going to try shaving more regularly now rather then once a week or 2 weeks. Gunna try to keep it tidy.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
That is what I read online just a short while ago. I am hoping that works. I am going to try shaving more regularly now rather then once a week or 2 weeks. Gunna try to keep it tidy.
Start with creams :D

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
meh, much like cigars, variety is the spice of life brother. Pick yourself up a cream or two as well...we can always trade stuff if we don't like it or get too much etc