What's new

The grand experiment

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will start this off by saying I am a retailer and although there will be a "visit us at tobacco haven" bubble that pops up when you view them, I honestly think that the videos I just uploaded will help a lot. I went down to Las Lomas and Danli Honduras to visit the CLE farms and factory and took a lot of video which I posted on my new youtube channel. Most of it is Christian Eiroa talking about the entire process from seed to smoke much like you are trying to do. if you type in "tobacco haven" in the search bar for youtube you will see about 17 or 18 videos. the most useful I feel will be the "Christian in his fields 1, 2 & 3"

The only issue that I can you running into is the fermentation process which is essential in smoothing the tobacco out. Please let me know if this helps any and again I apologize to anyone who thinks I am trying to plug my store

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Dave... maybe you're spending too much time with your "precious" plants and the wife put out a hit. :dunno: lol

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is a great experiment. Good luck with 2.0 I don't have any idea what could have happened other than maybe they got burnt by the sun. This is possible, but unlikely when they are indoors.

I do have a couple of suggestions for you. I know you have been doing your research so this is probably not news to you.

1. Tobacco is a heavy feeder It does need fertilizer. Use tomato plant fertilizer on a regular basis.
2. Mailing the leaves may be tricky. The first mailing will be easy as they will be green and pliable. After they are cured you will have to insure the moisture content is high enough to allow shipping without damaging the leaves. It can be difficult to keep leaves pristine enough to use as wrapper leaves.
3. As you know, there is a ton of info available on curing leaves at home. Most people use home-made kilns to speed up the process. You won't be able to ferment the leaves in a pile because you won't have enough. I'm not sure if Florida will have the heat and humidity in the winter to achieve proper air curing.

I have done the seed-to-cigar in the past. It was fun. Keep us posted. The plants grow quickly so you still have lots of time for your crop.

Bruce.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I honestly think that the videos I just uploaded will help a lot.
can you provide a link to the videos or tell me where you uploaded them? I would love to watch them...

this truly is an experiment... I have ZERO experience in growing tobacco.. and very little experience growing anything else (we keep a small garden from time to time.. but my part in that is tilling the soil and throwing some seeds on the ground.. my wife does everything else)...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Dave... maybe you're spending too much time with your "precious" plants and the wife put out a hit. :dunno: lol
lol... this is a STRONG possibility.... Im going to have to keep an eye on her this time around :)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
This is a great experiment. Good luck with 2.0 I don't have any idea what could have happened other than maybe they got burnt by the sun. This is possible, but unlikely when they are indoors.

I do have a couple of suggestions for you. I know you have been doing your research so this is probably not news to you.

1. Tobacco is a heavy feeder It does need fertilizer. Use tomato plant fertilizer on a regular basis.
2. Mailing the leaves may be tricky. The first mailing will be easy as they will be green and pliable. After they are cured you will have to insure the moisture content is high enough to allow shipping without damaging the leaves. It can be difficult to keep leaves pristine enough to use as wrapper leaves.
3. As you know, there is a ton of info available on curing leaves at home. Most people use home-made kilns to speed up the process. You won't be able to ferment the leaves in a pile because you won't have enough. I'm not sure if Florida will have the heat and humidity in the winter to achieve proper air curing.

I have done the seed-to-cigar in the past. It was fun. Keep us posted. The plants grow quickly so you still have lots of time for your crop.

Bruce.
All excellent information Bruce.. Thanks!

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
once you get over the hurdle of actually getting the plants grown, you know the process of priming and separating the levels of leaves. as has been said here previously, the fermenting process is probably one ofthe most important steps. heat/temp variations are essential to watch to make sure they age properly. good luck!

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Thank goodness my job is only the rolling part... I can mess it up on my end as well but it sounds like all the other processes are much more difficult.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
We're back in business!

the first little green leaf emerged from the soil this morning :)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
managed to go clear a nice area in the garden today.. it will still be another 3-4 weeks before I put these guys in the ground.. but I figured it was a nice day out.. might as well go pull all the weeds and till up some dirt..

now that spring is here I am seriously getting excited about this!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank goodness my job is only the rolling part... I can mess it up on my end as well but it sounds like all the other processes are much more difficult.
I'm new here, but came across this and got excited and couldn't resist commenting! I've rolled a number of my own cigars, bought the seeds last year but they arrived late and didn't get them planted (my wife thought it was something fishy when she saw the first envelope and threw them away) but I've had pretty good luck with buying leaves. I feel like I've got the hang of rolling, moisture is a big part of it. Lot of good videos out there but they never seem to tell you enough about how wet you can roll. I think I've got some awesome wrapper, but still lacking flavor in my filler leaves. Excited to watch your progression!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0

Coming along nicely...

If I can just keep em alive about 4 more weeks.. They'll be ready to put in the ground :)

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Coming along nicely MW. I'm going to suggest something that will make your in ground grow nearly effortless through the year. Once you plant them in ground, cover your plot with a layer or two of newspaper and then over top that with some straw spread out generously. (Straw, not hay. Hay is filled with weed seeds and you won't get high off them once they grow..) doing this will keep your garden nearly 95% weed free for the season. Makes my life 10'000 times easier. It also holds in moisture and regulates soil temps.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I happen to have a bale of straw on hand! I use it to insulate the dogs kennel in the winter and give them something soft to lay on other than the hard wood floor.. I might give this a try!

Thanks!