What's new

the neophyte piper diary

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a cigar smoker for some time. I like cigars. Alot.

Some years ago however, my cash flow was taking a serious hit and I found my cigar smoking quickly becoming too expensive. But I enjoyed tobacco smoking and didn't want to give it up. My solution (I thought), was to take up smoking a pipe. I could still enjoy smoking, but at a fraction of the cost.

I did that which was recommended. I bought myself a cheap briar, some pharmacy tobacco, and off I went. Though I fought with loading issues, and puffing too fast, I found smoking a pipe overall, very enjoyable in spite of my wifes jeers. Moreover, somewhere in the darkest recesses of my mind, I noted when smoking alone, I marginally preferred doing it with a pipe.

Alas, I was a "poor" pipe smoker, and my cheap pipe did me no favours. It gurgled like nothing I can compare, and being I didn't understand that you can only smoke a briar pipe so often, my smokes became more and more harsh... and then it happened. I got tongue bite. And then I got it again and again. How often I don't recall, but I do recall that it got so bad that I couldn't taste a thing for a day after each bite... that bites! Chunks.

It wasn't long before I gave up and went to smoking dog rockets rather than chancing "the bite." But I never forgot the times I did enjoy the pipe. It was akin to a great lover with a poor personality.

Fast forward to today. My disposable income has increased a little and I have a couple four humi's stocked full of cigars that I once labeled as cigars for guys with more money than imagination and/or taste lol. Like most of us here, I can smoke for at least a couple of years on my stockpile. So why think about going back to the pipe?

Well this time, it's not because of the money (though that's always a good thing too). No, this time I have two other reasons I want to go to the pipe. The first being that I still recall enjoying my pipe immensely before it all went south. And being I mostly smoke alone now, like I said, I find it a little more enjoyable.

Now don't get me wrong, I'll still smoke my cigars. But the other reason I am about to embark on taking up the pipe again is because nowadays, I just don't have the time to take an hour to an hour and a half to smoke a cigar. Throwing out sticks halfway or 3/4 way done kills me. And before you say to just get smaller cigars - I have. It's just with two young children, often times I find I have to put down what I am smoking and attend to issues at hand. In the winter with me not able to smoke in the house, that can make for a waisted cigar - big or not. If I leave my pipe and it goes out - so be it.

Anyhow - that's the story. I am interested to see how I progress, and hence this diary. If I find I can't make the pipe work either, that's fine. But I am going to give it an honest try.

I will say this, as I began this thought process I have received an enormous amount of help from all the brothers on this site. So thanks for all those that participate on the forum. Moreover, I intend to buy a second pipe to compliment my first. I originally thought I would wait on the second pipe and see how I enjoyed getting back into the pipe slowly - but I don't know if I can hold off lol. I got four tins of tobacco in today and hope to try a bowl tomorrow after work before heading home.

Here is my humble beginnings:

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap. Peterson's 3P's and Drew Estates Meat Pie. Why I got those is anyone's guess :).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth. When I got my tobacco in today - I couldn't help but open em and dig into the smell LOL!! I was told to buy some glass containers and store that which I opened in them.

It's my first rookie mistake. First I got glass - but the lids are plastic. Oops lol. Second, just because the tin is 2oz - a two oz glass container doesn't hold two oz of tobacco lol!!

It's all good. At least I didn't forget to label them :).

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Awesome thread. I've never smoked pipe tobacco. While I've always liked the smell I've just never done it. Since taking up cigars I've often thought how much better a pipe would be if I only had 20 minutes or so, or if it had to go out. I'll follow closely. I'm still expanding my cigar collection so I can't drop the money to start piping now but I have a feeling it won't be long...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread. I've never smoked pipe tobacco. While I've always liked the smell I've just never done it. Since taking up cigars I've often thought how much better a pipe would be if I only had 20 minutes or so, or if it had to go out. I'll follow closely. I'm still expanding my cigar collection so I can't drop the money to start piping now but I have a feeling it won't be long...
Thanks man. I can't promise it'll be entertaining, but I can promise that I'll be honest.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I for one have been a cigar smoker for at least 10 years now. And just recently became a "piper" just about 2 weeks ago maybe a little more. It's been a hard, long thought out process if I even wanted to take the jump. I had invested so much into cigars and have a decent stash of smokes. I figured what's the worst that could happen? I hate it, it's just alright or I'll love it? I did the who new guy thing and purchased a Dr. Grabow pipe, a lighter/tamper combo, and some house blend tobacco from the local B&M shop. With the help of a buddy who's into pipes a little more that I am, my local B&M shop who has an employee who is a pipe guru and a bunch of youtube videos on what I'm doing, I enjoy smoking a pipe. I find it to be very relaxing. Although, it sucks that I have to let the pipe sit for at least 24 hours before I can smoke it again. I have a habit toclean it after every use (except the bowl where I'm slowly building the cake). Run the pipe cleaners throughout it and clean the filter which will need to be replaced soon.

I do find it to be a little bit cheaper than cigar smoking. Much of a difference? I don't think there really is one except I think the pipe smoking a little more relaxing. I find that you make up for it in some really nice pipes. But, then again they'll last you a lifetime and then some.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I for one have been a cigar smoker for at least 10 years now. And just recently became a "piper" just about 2 weeks ago maybe a little more. It's been a hard, lo

I do find it to be a little bit cheaper than cigar smoking. Much of a difference? I don't think there really is one except I think the pipe smoking a little more relaxing. I find that you make up for it in some really nice pipes. But, then again they'll last you a lifetime and then some.
Great feedback brother - thank you. Please feel free to include any insights as you go. For real.

I'll say this, I recall it being very relaxing as well. What I fear is missing the complexities of a cigar. You know, those shifts in flavours as you burn down the stick. I guess that's what blends are for - but it's hard to imagine pre-piper. You know?

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I picked up a Missouri merchum cob pipe with bent s tem about a month ago. I tried shredding a left over cigar nub. Didn't smoke very well. I need to look into how to load the pipe/pack it/smoking techniques ect. I know you can stick a nub right in but i wanted to learn some on the pipe. And with the new baby coming I might have to expand the horizons with the pipe since I will have less free time for a bit.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE # 1

Well gent's - I needed another pipe not only so I could let one rest while I smoked the other. But because I really wanted one with a filter to ensure I didn't get any bite again. Actually, I really don't "need" another pipe at this stage, so spending the money seemed silly - I am cheap lol - so I struggled because for some reason I just wanted to buy one lol.

Anyway, It came down to the BIG Ben Barbados (9mm filter) $130, or the Savinelli Lolita (6mm Filter) $68. Cheap won and I went the $68. With the filters and a bag etc, it was a little over $100.00. I am not going to cry a river if I don't like this pipe.

The winner:

The one I probably should have gotten but didn't:

LOL!! Life...

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Great feedback brother - thank you. Please feel free to include any insights as you go. For real.

I'll say this, I recall it being very relaxing as well. What I fear is missing the complexities of a cigar. You know, those shifts in flavours as you burn down the stick. I guess that's what blends are for - but it's hard to imagine pre-piper. You know?
It's definitely a different ballgame. I'm trying to pick up on the piper's lingo and the different tobaccos that are used in the pipes too. I don't want to say it's frustrating because it's really just another learning experience especially that I've been smoking cigars for some time now. Although, I have to figure out pairing a drink, whatever it may be, with a pipe. I kind of had it down with cigars.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I picked up a Missouri merchum cob pipe with bent s tem about a month ago. I tried shredding a left over cigar nub. Didn't smoke very well. I need to look into how to load the pipe/pack it/smoking techniques ect. I know you can stick a nub right in but i wanted to learn some on the pipe. And with the new baby coming I might have to expand the horizons with the pipe since I will have less free time for a bit.
Check out the user: StogieFarts on youtube and his beginner pipe album of roughly 20 videos he did on pipe smoking 101 basically. I watched them at least 2-3x each before really understanding what the pipe smoking is all about. His videos are a huge help. Plus if you have a local B&M who is familiar with pipes that's huge too. Bring it down and talk to them and I'd hope they'll be willing to help you out too.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
UPDATE # 1

Well gent's - I needed another pipe not only so I could let one rest while I smoked the other. But because I really wanted one with a filter to ensure I didn't get any bite again. Actually, I really don't "need" another pipe at this stage, so spending the money seemed silly - I am cheap lol - so I struggled because for some reason I just wanted to buy one lol.

Anyway, It came down to the BIG Ben Barbados (9mm filter) $130, or the Savinelli Lolita (6mm Filter) $68. Cheap won and I went the $68. With the filters and a bag etc, it was a little over $100.00. I am not going to cry a river if I don't like this pipe.

The winner:

The one I probably should have gotten but didn't:

LOL!! Life...
So get the other one too! Both really nice pipes! Great pickup! I have a Savenelli Spring pipe and love it. Their filters are good for roughly a dozen smokes so it'll last you a little bit depending on how much you smoke. And, I noticed last night in mine, take a good look at the wood grains and over time watch how the colors turn out and change, in a good way!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So get the other one too! Both really nice pipes! Great pickup! I have a Savenelli Spring pipe and love it. Their filters are good for roughly a dozen smokes so it'll last you a little bit depending on how much you smoke. And, I noticed last night in mine, take a good look at the wood grains and over time watch how the colors turn out and change, in a good way!
Nice!

And yeah. I might pick up the Barbados too. If I like the Savenelli's shape, I'll be ok with the Barbados. :)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Nice!

And yeah. I might pick up the Barbados too. If I like the Savenelli's shape, I'll be ok with the Barbados. :)
I really like the Savinelli line....a lot. I'm looking at a 2nd one from my local B&M and also a freehand Nording as well. Over time I'll slowly get a collection going. Some seem more in depth care wise end also. I'm into the low maintenance pipes or ones that won't take more time to clean than actually sit down and smoke.