What's new

the neophyte piper diary

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, crap. I didn't notice there was a reserve on the auction...
He DOES make a nice pipe though!
Yeah I looked him up - this pipe is actually on his site (doesn't say how much he originally wanted for it though). All his pipes are spectacular!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been reading just about everything I can "pipe related" here of late. As I read one thread, I noted @Cigary43 's quote below:

Been smoking pipes for 40 years off and on and regretted buying cheap pipes....they don't enhance the experience but rather buy a pipe that is a proven product. You want to get something that isn't going to promote a 'hot smoke' or tongue bite as that will cause you to lose interest in the hobby quickly. I like Savinelli, Peterson and a few others and one can catch these on sale for less than $100....it's worth it because they will last you almost a lifetime if you take care of it.
As we all know, I know nothing, but the notion of telling noobs not to buy "cheap pipes" really rang true with me. Of course there are always exceptions, and I am sure there are quite a few less expensive pipes that'll burn cool, but I am guessing the majority will not... it's figuring out which are which. In a sea of pipes, the noob is really at a loss.

Moreover, I would imagine that a seasoned smoker could easily recommend a pipe that is less expensive that would work for him/her, not realizing that the noob doesn't know how to smoke yet. Hence, that less expensive pipe that works for the veteran, is nothing less than a gurgle / bite champion for those of us who are learning to smoke - probably too quickly.

Case and Point - My first and only Pipe to this point is a Roma. It was sold to me at a B&M. The dude there knew his stuff. He blended tobacco's, sold tons of pipes and was always smoking his pipe(s). I trusted him implicitly. Now like I said, I know next to nothing, but I can't get that thing he recommended me to not gurgle. Moreover, it's a bite king. That's why this time around, though I am not buying an expensive pipe per se, I am buying one with a filter. The filter was the key (for me).

Filtered Pipes and the Noob. I know many American's aren't into the whole filter thing as compared to some European nations. That said, the beauty of a filter is you don't have to use it... just like eventually, my kids will not need the training wheels on their bikes. But that filter is of great comfort to me. As I learn how to smoke in a relaxed manner, and give into the notion that relighting is ok which is a very hard thing to grasp as a seasoned cigar smoker, my filter will hopefully let me work on my basics and spare me that dreaded mouth deadening bite.

If and when I take up pipe smoking full-time and friends ask me to recommend them a pipe, if my filtered pipe indeed does alleviate my having to worry about bite as I learn the subtleties of smoking as some have said it might - I think I'll always recommend a filtered pipe.

Thoughts?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first attempt at getting glass jars for my tobacco didn't really go all that well in that they might have been just a bit too small. So I got some more. Didn't go back to Walmart - useless selection. Bed, Bath and Beyond turned out to only have plastic! Hobby Lobby on the other hand :).

Got the ones on the right.

What may or may not be nice is this indentation in the lid, as I bought some of those little tobacco conditioners... along with 8 more tins of tobacco lol. Hence the "need" for some more glass :).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am like a kid at a candy store! Came home for lunch and saw the packages at the front door.

In Detail:
Tobacco (8): Mississippi Mud, Robusto, Tudor Castle, Sillem's Black, Wilderness, Jackknife Plug, The Solent Mixture, Three Nuns
Toys: 4 Pouch Moisteners, Nail Tamper, Pipe Cleaners
Filters (6mm): Falcon, Dr Grabow, Sevinelli
Pipe: Savinelli Lolita Rustic Briar 01
Case: Jobey Combo Pipe Bag (pipe and tobacco)

What excites me to no end is how small the pipe is (i'll want a larger one, but I wanted a small to start). Moreover, how small the Bag is! There will be no problem having y pipe "on me" at all times! I always had issues traveling with cigars. This shouldn't be a problem.

Good times !! Woot.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
What a selection you have!!!! Enjoy it! I personally LOVE the Savinelli line of pipes. I'm holding out on pulling the trigger on another at my local B&M because I'm taking my gf to PA this weekend and of course we're stopping at C.I. So I'm hoping to come home with lots of baccy for my pipe and hopefully a new pipe or two. Oh and cigars. I emptied out my humidor a little bit and stashed some sticks at my locker in the local B&M.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother. I have 12 different tobacco's in total. I am really interested to see what works for me!

I don't know if smoking a pipe is going to be the same as smoking cigars where I like variety, or if it's going to be like my beer where I am pretty loyal to a few brands. Hence, I am thinking the cans will let me try often enough to know.

I am really looking forward to breaking in my Savinelli! It's going to warm up here soon (going golfing Sat!! Woot), so I am hoping as soon as it does, I can take it outside and give it some time to do it correctly.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with respect to cigars, I have always been a band whore. So it really shouldn't come as any surprise that with respect to my pipe tobacco, that I had to "Brand" my glass lol. That said, more importantly, these are the 6 tobacco's that I intend to start with. I hope they are good ambassadors.

On another note, I also "installed" my tobacco humidifiers in my two larger containers. I really have no idea if its needed or not - probably just another "cigar smoking spill over."

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Dunhill Night cap and early morning is very popular. Hopefully I'll have my hands on some this weekend to try out. Pipe smoking is definitely different from cigar smoking, BUT I do find it a little more relaxing.

How do you like those humidifiers? I have yet to "jar" my baccy. But it might have to happen.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunhill Night cap and early morning is very popular. Hopefully I'll have my hands on some this weekend to try out. Pipe smoking is definitely different from cigar smoking, BUT I do find it a little more relaxing.

How do you like those humidifiers? I have yet to "jar" my baccy. But it might have to happen.
Well first off, I got to tell you, smoking with my new pipe is just miles ahead of my old one in terms of enjoyment. No gurgling, very little heat... a good pipe (good - not expensive necessarily) is worth it's weight in gold. I am sooooo tempted to buy another pipe... Another Savinelli!

Anyway, that's to say, with respect to it being relaxing, I have always felt that pipe smoking was marginally more relaxing than cigar smoking. But now even more so! I am having fun brother.

As for the humidifiers. I can't really speak to them on the whole, but I found the Early Morning Pipe a little dry when I first got it. I put one of the humidifiers in a ziplock bag with some EMP for my travel bag and man, the consistency really seemed much better in just one day. It has the same consistency of the Nightcap now. Maybe it's in my mind.

And yeah, you have to give the two blends a shot - I am almost tempted to mix equal amounts of the two together for a little Dunhill "Afternoon" smoke lol!

When are you off to CI? I can't wait to hear of your "adventure" lol!! In case we don't bs - have a great time man! Jelious!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well first off, I got to tell you, smoking with my new pipe is just miles ahead of my old one in terms of enjoyment. No gurgling, very little heat... a good pipe (good - not expensive necessarily) is worth it's weight in gold. I am sooooo tempted to buy another pipe... Another Savinelli!

Anyway, that's to say, with respect to it being relaxing, I have always felt that pipe smoking was marginally more relaxing than cigar smoking. But now even more so! I am having fun brother.

As for the humidifiers. I can't really speak to them on the whole, but I found the Early Morning Pipe a little dry when I first got it. I put one of the humidifiers in a ziplock bag with some EMP for my travel bag and man, the consistency really seemed much better in just one day. It has the same consistency of the Nightcap now. Maybe it's in my mind.

And yeah, you have to give the two blends a shot - I am almost tempted to mix equal amounts of the two together for a little Dunhill "Afternoon" smoke lol!

When are you off to CI? I can't wait to hear of your "adventure" lol!! In case we don't bs - have a great time man! Jelious!
I'm already checking into another Savinelli. It might happen this weekend LOL. And there's nothing wrong with "blending" some baccy together. You might get a decent blend out of it you never know!

I'm heading to PA shortly. I'll be stopping there tomorrow. Which might be an all day adventure LOL. I'll keep all of you posted and share some pics!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already checking into another Savinelli. It might happen this weekend LOL. And there's nothing wrong with "blending" some baccy together. You might get a decent blend out of it you never know!

I'm heading to PA shortly. I'll be stopping there tomorrow. Which might be an all day adventure LOL. I'll keep all of you posted and share some pics!

Seize the day my brother! Seize the day!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So for the first time in over two decades, my family finds itself on a single income. This caused me to cut down my cigar smoking DRAMATICALLY.

I've gone from 3+ cigars a day, to 2-4 per week.

Neither of us realized it at the time, but my wife was basically working just so I could smoke all the time!

About three weeks ago my buddy sent me a newbie pipe kit. So I had the same cost:benefit analysis discussion in my head: "I can smoke HOW many bowls out of a ten dollar tin of tobacco vs 60-90 minutes for the same ten bucks for a cigar? I've got to give this a try..."

So I've been giving it an honest try. I enjoy smoking again with my morning coffee. I enjoy smoking again on my way home from work too. I am also a woodworker and general nerd so I've really enjoyed learning how pipes are made.

You know what though? I just can't ever see me liking it MORE than a cigar. I hung out with my wife yesterday in her studio while it snowed and smoked quite a few bowls (So far, I'm digging English blends the most). But when I got up this morning I was like "hell no, I'm having a cigar".

And that's exactly what I'm doing.

When this LeBijou is nubbed, I'll go out and shovel snow, but I'm going to enjoy this first.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
So for the first time in over two decades, my family finds itself on a single income. This caused me to cut down my cigar smoking DRAMATICALLY.

I've gone from 3+ cigars a day, to 2-4 per week.

Neither of us realized it at the time, but my wife was basically working just so I could smoke all the time!

About three weeks ago my buddy sent me a newbie pipe kit. So I had the same cost:benefit analysis discussion in my head: "I can smoke HOW many bowls out of a ten dollar tin of tobacco vs 60-90 minutes for the same ten bucks for a cigar? I've got to give this a try..."

So I've been giving it an honest try. I enjoy smoking again with my morning coffee. I enjoy smoking again on my way home from work too. I am also a woodworker and general nerd so I've really enjoyed learning how pipes are made.

You know what though? I just can't ever see me liking it MORE than a cigar. I hung out with my wife yesterday in her studio while it snowed and smoked quite a few bowls (So far, I'm digging English blends the most). But when I got up this morning I was like "hell no, I'm having a cigar".

And that's exactly what I'm doing.

When this LeBijou is nubbed, I'll go out and shovel snow, but I'm going to enjoy this first.
I am loving the pipe but it has in no way diminished my love of cigars. If anything, the two are complimentary; there are times when I feel like having a cigar and times when I feel like having a pipe.

At this point in my life, I don't foresee "choosing" one or the other.

Enjoy that stick, brother!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...

I don't know what's going to become of my pipe smoking. I see many guys smoke both cigars and pipes, and that is exactly what I'll be doing for some time considering my cigar stash. That being said, I really am an all or nothing kind of guy. What's worse is, on average, I don't have the time to smoke more than once a day, so it's either a pipe or a cigar on any given day.

Right now I remain open... but considering how much easier it is for me to smoke a pipe, travel with a pipe, not feel guilty if I can't finish my pipe, the pipe is a serious contender for the win. Assuming I can get the complexities from pipe tobacco I do from a gar.

With respect to the money - If I do my math right, being I am starting to buy more and more expensive cigars, if I were to smoke an $8.00 cigar once a day, within a year that will cost me approximately 3 grand. What's that before tax money? $4 K? A pipe at say a tin a week will cost $416 a year. Using a marginal tax rate of 30%, that's $540 bucks a year. Dude.... that's like 7 and a half times more expensive.

Like I said - still open - we'll see. Thanks for your inputs @Mathen & as always @rdomfoto.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thought I would do a little update on the pipe. My Savinelli.

I have smoked four bowls (I think - it might be 5) - and it was time to clean it. My last bowl began to gurgle... but just a bit. Not sure if it was the tobacco, me not letting the pipe rest long enough or what, but it was the first time it displayed even a hint of the dreaded gurgle lol. That said - not even a hint of that which gives you the dreaded bite even remotely got through the filter (even with the last bowl's final third burning rather hot).

First I would like to speak to the balsa filter. If you jam it into the bit that goes into your mouth all the way (the black piece on the right), you'll really reduce the draw (Not good). But that's not a problem - I place it in just a touch, and then assemble. As it closes, it goes in as deep as it needs to pushing off the bowl section - this works like a charm and doesn't restrict airflow at all.

Second - I wasn't sure how the balsa would work. As I took the pipe apart and pulled it out, I note it was really moist and "squishy." It felt like a sponge. Smells like shi... like pure tar. But clearly this little piece of wood works like a freaking charm!! Like I said, today was the first hint of the pipe getting moist at all - well pleased.

The other thing was - it must work as there was practically nothing on my pipe cleaner from the area behind it toward the mouth area. Cool!

Finally - with respect to the balsa, though I haven't tried this pipe without it, I noted right away as compared to my other pipe (smoking the same blend), that it indeed does mute the flavour. Even if marginally. That said, until I get more pipes and/or get to smoking more slowly, I'll gladly forgo that bit of flavour in order to prevent bite (yeah - I might be a bit "bite" neurotic - but its a real buzz kill).

The pipe is small. You can't help but feel like you are smoking some kind of drug pipe (not that I would know lol). But I love the size. I placed one of those rubber nibs on it, and I can clinch it like a champ as I drive my standard car. Sure it's small and pocketable, but not once has any smoke ever blown into my face, or the tobacco seemed hot... and no, it hasn't warmed up my nose either lol.

I am really happy with my little pipe. And it is little.

So what does a guy who likes his little pipe do? Get an even smaller one of course! LOL - I jest not.

I was surfing all things pipe, when I stumbled onto Pipes & Cigar and noted they sold Villiger pipe tobacco! Well, I am a huge fan of Villiger, so I got some, but then I saw that they were selling a starter set that included the little ~ 3.5 Big Ben Pipo for $39.99 also.

Yeah - I ordered it lol.

It doesn't have a filter unfortunately, but at this price - whatever. If I have my history right, this is the pipe that put Big Ben back on the Map after WWII even though the owner hated the design (I can't imagine clenching this one as effectively as my Savinelli - but we'll see).

I'll let you know how it smokes lol. :).

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: