What's new

the next monster "Jason"

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I took it as a jab against horror flicks, but idk?
Could've been. I'm only on my second cup of coffee and not yet fully awake...
It is a little disapointing to hear that the Jason is not that good (especially with Coffee!)... I tend to compare all of the Tatuaje Maduro releases back to the original Regios Reserva and SW Reserva Maduro (which IMO were some of the best cigars ever produced). Maybe these need a bit of time to rest?

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Newb question: if using aged tobacco, couldn't the oils crystalize during the curing/aging process and there for plume be present rott?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You had plume on a brand new cigar?
I would say it was. Most definitely was not mold. Even one of the guys at the shop noticed it. And just so there's no confusion, by plume, I'm talking little crystalline looking particles over the entire cigar, not spots. And no varnish/ paint smell at all. The only reason that I bought it really was the plume because I don't keep cigars long enough for them to start to plume. I'm about 2/3rds in now and the profile really hasn't changed for me. It's not a bad smoke though! Definitely better than what I anticipated. I in no way thought they would be bad though. Was simply basing my thoughts on the fact that I'm not a huge Tat fan, so take that fwiw.

Last edited:

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Could it be the little flecks of minerals that are on most of Johnson's good broadleaf? Remember the taa 12, it looked like my daughter had poured glitter all over it. It's just the mineral content in the soil where the leaf is grown.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So let's see if I've got this straight: the oils migrate to the suface, crystallize, then over years the crystals morph to plume? And this is not the same as the topical "gold" found on some leaves do to the mineral content of the growing soil. Excuse the thread jack

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone here on the east side of Michigan want to make a road trip with me or meet up with me at a shop? Pm me if you are interested I'm leaving in 15 min.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
So let's see if I've got this straight: the oils migrate to the suface, crystallize, then over years the crystals morph to plume? And this is not the same as the topical "gold" found on some leaves do to the mineral content of the growing soil.
Correct. But now that I think about it, ATL is probably right about what's being seen on the Jason, and on my older Tats as well.

I've always made the assumption that what I saw on certain wrappers was crystallization since it looks "crystal-y", and theorized that someday that would turn into ploom, since that's what ploom is. But in my experience, I haven't actually seen crystallization occur before ploom shows. For example, I don't think I've ever seen visible crystals show up on an Opus, but I have seen ploom.

I assume what we're seeing on the Tat wrappers is mineral flecks, and ploom grows from microscopic crystals we don't actually see.

Last edited:

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Newb question: if using aged tobacco, couldn't the oils crystalize during the curing/aging process and there for plume be present rott?

Due to the constant handling of the leaf and even spraying down with water to make the leaf pliable for rolling of the cigars, then the handling the cigar goes through in sorting/banding/cellophane/boxing you wouldn't see plume on a cigar ROTT

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
So let's see if I've got this straight: the oils migrate to the suface, crystallize, then over years the crystals morph to plume? And this is not the same as the topical "gold" found on some leaves do to the mineral content of the growing soil. Excuse the thread jack

Yes, the oils on the surface evaporate and leave little crystals. It's kind of like dried fruit that is sweeter due to more sugar because of evaporation. The crystals leave a fine powder like dusting on the wrapper that is difficult to remove. This is rare, I've seen it twice. It takes a really good wrapper leaf and lots of time for this to happen.

The mineral rich soil where Johnson gets a lot his good broadleaf leaves little gold flecks on the wrapper leaf that looks like glitter, this is not plume.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Could it be the little flecks of minerals that are on most of Johnson's good broadleaf? Remember the taa 12, it looked like my daughter had poured glitter all over it. It's just the mineral content in the soil where the leaf is grown.
Yes.

(More posted cause of the min number of characters needed).

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
ok i am confused, do the unlucky 13 already have the dress boxes and are they selling them now?. I really just need the box for my collection.