What's new

the OE15 Dog Rocket Challenge!!!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Gentlemen, a simple challenge... Through the month of May, for every dog rocket you smoke and post up here, I'll donate $1 to Operation Esteli. Edit - dog rockets are now worth $2-$4 each for OE!!! Help raise money for the children of Esteli, just by smoking cigars! (Horrible, disgusting cigars, but still!) (y)

Want to help raise money, but don't want to smoke dog rockets? Then I encourage you to stand with me in donating to OE for the dog rockets posted here! Whether you want to match my donations, or contribute any other way you see fit, it's all for a good cause and should be a lot of fun!

Reviews are not required, but they are certainly encouraged - even half-assed reviews are welcome. After all, the goal is to raise money while getting some good laughs along the way. Best review (votes counted by number of "likes") wins a fiver of decent smokes!

Let's do this!

Last edited:

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Great idea! I'll play. My first dog rocket is a Connecticut corona house brand from Racine & Laramie, a very cool, atmospheric old cigar shop in Old Town, San Diego.

The guy working there talked up their house blend – very popular, lots of guys smoke only them, can't go wrong under $3, yaddah yaddah. So I thought I’d try it. I asked if he knew the factory that makes it, but he didn’t.

Pre-light it had a fruity, sugary smell, and an almost overripe fruity prelight draw. Oddly appealing, and that's a pretty skillfully made cap:

......but alas I’m doomed to be disappointed. Lots of smoke right off the bat, but a little bitter and very dry.

No, make that a lot bitter. Woody, papery. Something cigarette-like about it. At this rate, this ain’t gonna last long.

Best thing about it so far is the copious amount of smoke…. but the smoke is kind of an odd yellowish hue, which I find very off-putting. I don’t smoke for my health, obviously, but this is a little creepy. White smoke, yes, even bluish smoke. But yellow? It’s like smoking jaundice.

Ash fell at about ½” and the cigar is going out. Puffing to keep lit I get nuances of asphalt, burning plastic. Pretty straight burn, but who cares when it tastes like this? I can tell that bitter taste on my tongue is going to be hard to get off. I guess I’ll need a Brillo pad. My wife is going to keep her distance tonight.

I give up after 1/3, and dissecting it am surprised to find that it appears to be all long filler. Not that that does any good. There is pretty much no redeeming quality about this sub-Red Dot dog rocket. Sorry R&L, I love your shop but this just sucks ass. Whoever rolled it, though, should be promoted to working with better quality tobacco.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Great idea! I'll play. My first dog rocket is a Connecticut corona house brand from Racine & Laramie, a very cool, atmospheric old cigar shop in Old Town, San Diego.

The guy working there talked up their house blend – very popular, lots of guys smoke only them, can't go wrong under $3, yaddah yaddah. So I thought I’d try it. I asked if he knew the factory that makes it, but he didn’t.

Pre-light it had a fruity, sugary smell, and an almost overripe fruity prelight draw. Oddly appealing, and that's a pretty skillfully made cap:

......but alas I’m doomed to be disappointed. Lots of smoke right off the bat, but a little bitter and very dry.

No, make that a lot bitter. Woody, papery. Something cigarette-like about it. At this rate, this ain’t gonna last long.

Best thing about it so far is the copious amount of smoke…. but the smoke is kind of an odd yellowish hue, which I find very off-putting. I don’t smoke for my health, obviously, but this is a little creepy. White smoke, yes, even bluish smoke. But yellow? It’s like smoking jaundice.

Ash fell at about ½” and the cigar is going out. Puffing to keep lit I get nuances of asphalt, burning plastic. Pretty straight burn, but who cares when it tastes like this? I can tell that bitter taste on my tongue is going to be hard to get off. I guess I’ll need a Brillo pad. My wife is going to keep her distance tonight.

I give up after 1/3, and dissecting it am surprised to find that it appears to be all long filler. Not that that does any good. There is pretty much no redeeming quality about this sub-Red Dot dog rocket. Sorry R&L, I love your shop but this just sucks ass. Whoever rolled it, though, should be promoted to working with better quality tobacco.
LMAO, that is a great review!

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Problem here is I'm not seeing any cigars that are actually lit. Are you guys really smoking those rockets? ;)

I pulled this guy out of the bottom of my coolidor. I've been looking for an excuse to smoke another, seeing as they have a few months on them now. Didn't help.

cigar.jpg

Forgot to add a few words about this stick. Signature Collection Vintage 2005 Maduro.

Prelight aroma is good, nice tobacco aroma. First 1/3 is overpowering cedar, I guess. Second 1/3 is hay, licorice, and poop. Last 1/3, I don't know. I gave up.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0

Put some of these away about a year ago thinking they couldn't possibly stay as bad as they were. I was wrong. Would not stay lit no matter how hard I tried. Funny thing is the cigar looks good and the flavors weren't terrible when I got a draw before it immediately went out again. Exactly the same as the rest I had. Terrible.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Who decides if it's a dog rocket? Lol. I've got a bunch that I bypass aaaaaaaallll the time.
That's how I picked mine. The rocket is in the eye of the beholder I presume...
No real rules as to what constitutes a dog rocket, more like an honor system - the nastier, the better. Guys around here are good sports, so I'm not too worried about it.