What's new

the OE15 Dog Rocket Challenge!!!

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Problem here is I'm not seeing any cigars that are actually lit. Are you guys really smoking those rockets? ;)

I pulled this guy out of the bottom of my coolidor. I've been looking for an excuse to smoke another, seeing as they have a few months on them now. Didn't help.

View attachment 63164

Forgot to add a few words about this stick. Signature Collection Vintage 2005 Maduro.

Prelight aroma is good, nice tobacco aroma. First 1/3 is overpowering cedar, I guess. Second 1/3 is hay, licorice, and poop. Last 1/3, I don't know. I gave up.
Must be a professional blender to get poop in the mix;)

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Dunno if it counts, it was actually inoffensive. Smoked a 5 Vegas Miami today.

Flat straight tobacco flavors, nothing special, but nothing bad.
Hmm... 5 Vegas is a tough one, they make some decent sticks but they make some real crap too, so we might have to count those on a case-by-case basis... But since you're a solid BOTL and I know that your palate is developed well beyond anything that 5V has to offer, I'm chalking up another buck to OE!

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hmm... 5 Vegas is a tough one, they make some decent sticks but they make some real crap too, so we might have to count those on a case-by-case basis... But since you're a solid BOTL and I know that your palate is developed well beyond anything that 5V has to offer, I'm chalking up another buck to OE!
The Gold Maduro is one of the prime dog rockets of the century.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
LOL, I never thought the Gold Maduro was that bad... But I thought the 2013 Limitada, supposedly one of their more "premium" smokes, was complete crap!

I guess this pretty much hits the nail on the head...
The rocket is in the eye of the beholder I presume...

BoneYard

Spent loot on Scotch,Women&Cigars -rest I wasted.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
After becoming the proud winner of LuckySats 'dog rocket challenge contest', We should all be looking forward to the upcoming reviews from @herfdog on the winnings contained therein, C'mon herfdog its for the kids after all. Tell you what, if you do a review for each of them, I'll buy and send you an OE Tshirt.

Last edited:

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
first picture is gross. Why would you take pictures of anyone while vomiting is beyond me.

I'll post comments on each and every dog rocket I smoke. Might not be full review, depending on time available, but hey, comments or review, its worth it no? How did you like my minireview of the first ghurka?

After becoming the proud winner of LuckySats 'dog rocket challenge contest', We should all be looking forward to the upcoming reviews from @herfdog on the winnings contained therein, C'mon herfdog its for the kids after all. Tell you what, if you do a review for each of them, I'll buy and send you an OE Tshirt.

BoneYard

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
first picture is gross. Why would you take pictures of anyone while vomiting is beyond me.

I'll post comments on each and every dog rocket I smoke. Might not be full review, depending on time available, but hey, comments or review, its worth it no? How did you like my minireview of the first ghurka?
HAHA, just a lil teaser to get you in the mood brother. Please send me your addy so I can forward you a Tshirt once they're posted.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Today I smoke this little gem

ACID toast.
The name is misleading. The cigar tastes nothing like a toast.

The pre-smell is an overpoweting pot-pourri chemical mix. The construction is however remarquable.
Light well and burn perfectly. The draw is good.
The first 5-6 puff were aweful. The taste was the same chemical pot-pourri. I commented that the sweetness of the wrapper on the lips was actually good, almost made me want to like it instead of smoking it. Almost put the cigar down. But as it heated, the infusion became tamer.

The ambiant aroma has been describe by 'aweful' by some and 'patchouli' by others.

After the infusion calmed down we could see that the tobacco used for the cigar is actually not bad, as opposed to most infused. I mean, @ssaka was spot on, the TOAST is likely the ACID we'd like the most.
Its not 'good' per say, but it isn't as bad as some describe them. If handed one to smoke, I would not refuse.
But definately not an awesome smoke.

I still consider it dog rocket for the propose of this challenge even if its of lesser rocketry than others. You know, for the kids.
If you are stuck to smoke a dog rocket, this one is the dog rocket you want to get.

Last edited:

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
copper_label.png

Without looking, I will assume this was the DE entry. This was obviously flavored.

I couldn't quite place the aroma of the cigar, but armpit came to mind. Very spongy and loose draw. I lit it and the smoke wasn't too bad. Put it in my mouth and instantly thought Jolly Rancher. Very sweet flavor on the head. This burned great and held ash forever. So, it wasn't totally objectionable, and now I've had my first infused cigar. I smoked more of this one than the last.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
View attachment 63219

Without looking, I will assume this was the DE entry. This was obviously flavored.

I couldn't quite place the aroma of the cigar, but armpit came to mind. Very spongy and loose draw. I lit it and the smoke wasn't too bad. Put it in my mouth and instantly thought Jolly Rancher. Very sweet flavor on the head. This burned great and held ash forever. So, it wasn't totally objectionable, and now I've had my first infused cigar. I smoked more of this one than the last.
Those were pretty good to me when I was really new. Still say that by infused standards its better than most.

BoneYard

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
IMG_0513.jpg

As they say one mans dog rocket is another mans golden unicorn.
That's kind of how I got this one. I'm a fairly prolific smoker, about 3-4 a day, so they can't all be warped and caldwells.
I think I picked this one up for about a buck on cbid. I was in search for that unicorn, the one I could smoke while no one was looking, in between the ones I really wanted to smoke, and average out my daily expenses. the Plasencia farm is one of the largest tobacco suppliers in the industry and this one from Nestor is really a pretty decent budget stick. Its flavor profile is earthy, a hint of sweetness and construction is nothing to complain about. Its very similar to a JDN antano, medium in strength and lacks any discernable complexity. My biggest complaint with it is the dry, ashy aftertaste that tends to linger beyond any enjoyable time frame. Still this stick could fill the niche for adequate budget stick, but I wouldn't recommend snatching up too many. Really, this was where my search for unicorns ended. Now I spend at least $2.50 on my low bar smokes.:)

Rating - 100%
24   0   0

Funny coincidence. Had been passing this up for quite some time and decided to set fire to it last night for this thread. Awful? Not really. Good? Not that either. Construction was good and the burn was flawless, draw was spot on. These could be a hand out smoke that wouldn't be offensive to a new smoker. Though I will not be purchasing any more, it wasn't the worst cigar I have ever had. It lives in the grey area between rocket and mediocre.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Funny coincidence. Had been passing this up for quite some time and decided to set fire to it last night for this thread. Awful? Not really. Good? Not that either. Construction was good and the burn was flawless, draw was spot on. These could be a hand out smoke that wouldn't be offensive to a new smoker. Though I will not be purchasing any more, it wasn't the worst cigar I have ever had. It lives in the grey area between rocket and mediocre.
Well if I find one lying around I guess I might try it again... I'm impressed that yours stayed lit. The one I had seemed to be treated with asbestos.