What's new

the OE15 Dog Rocket Challenge!!!

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay, you bunch of babies. Looks like I'm the last man standing. One more for the kids then I get to go back to good cigars.....

VigilantE (Rocky Patel and Esteban Carrera)
Wrapper: sun grown Honduran
Size: robusto
Price: Discontinued so it doesn’t matter, making this review rather pointless.... but they used to be about $7.

I got this cigar about 6 months ago from a guy on another forum who was getting rid of bunches of cheap sticks for the price of postage. He sent 10 so it cost me about 60 cents. He must have had it for a while because it was discontinued about 7 years ago, and the cellophane is pretty yellow. I had naive hopes for this cigar, thinking the sun grown wrapper would give it some interesting flavors. It also wasn’t super cheap back in it’s day, and it has plenty of age. And some pretty enthusiastic reviews on old forum threads. So I thought I might be getting off easy with my last dog rocket review. But no such luck.

The name of the cigar is just stupid – especially that it has a meaningless capital “E” at the end. I like the smiling sun - like you see on old medieval maps - but it doesn’t fit with the name. It's like naming a cigar The Widowmaker and having a pink unicorn on the band. Are you listening, Caldwell?

Pre-light draw is like stale red wine, left forgotten on the kitchen counter when you go away for a week and come back to find it has grown little islands of mold which are floating on top. Kind of sickly-sweet like overripe fruit. The cigar feels light and there are some big-ass veins, bordering on branches. And those bumps look like leprosy.

First few puffs are mild and cedary, but why do so many dog rockets have that burning brown paper bag flavor? This does not bode well. There’s also a nasty little bite which I suppose I could call “pepper” if I were in a charitable mood, but it’s really more like hundreds of tiny ants biting the inside of my mouth.

There are some prominent earthy, mineral flavors coming through, and a lot of toast. Burnt toast. It’s funny how so many descriptions of cigars say they taste like toast, as if that’s a good thing. I like toast as much as the next guy, but usually with jam or honey for breakfast. Not burnt to a blackened cinder and rolled up in tobacco leaves.

The burn is good, but the draw is pretty tight. I’m starting to wish it was tighter and that some blockage would prevent this smoke from entering my mouth. The smoke itself is medium-bodied, and the strength is too. The smell is a little rank. Toast and dank rotting vegetables smoldering in a paper bag.

Getting into the second third and now it's all brown paper bag, with the added sizzle of burning electronics. Did my laptop just have a meltdown? No, that's my cigar. What a revoltin’ development. My mouth is dry, my neck is stiff, and my head is starting to ache.

This actually tastes a lot like that Consuegra I smoked last week - like generic General Cigar second. It deserved to be discontinued, and I’m glad it was. I can’t think of any reason to smoke this cigar, and if it was the only brand left on earth I’d give up the hobby in a second and get into cosplay instead. In fact, it's so boring and one-dimensional that I’m not even inspired to express my hatred for it in any kind of creative way. I’m just disgusted – not by the cigar itself particularly, but by the fact that it even exists and that people out there liked it. It’s an existential nausea - the same kind of depressed, alienated feeling you get when you realize just how many fans Justin Bieber has.

I’ve reached the halfway point and it’s suddenly gone all spongey, and has decided to go out. It’s as if it’s aware of it’s own poor excuse for existing and has willed itself to die. I’ll respect it’s wishes, and won’t be re-lighting.

In the end, a picture is worth a thousand words:

I will close this with a thanks to @multi-useless for this thread and for his generosity to the kids of Esteli, even it is in sadistic return for the nauseating sacrifices made by his fellow BOTLs….. I would also like to make a plea for next years contest to be “Smoke your best cigars for OE”!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Unspecified Bunker in El Paso - status: vagabond
Okay, you bunch of babies. Looks like I'm the last man standing. One more for the kids then I get to go back to good cigars.....

VigilantE (Rocky Patel and Esteban Carrera)
Wrapper: sun grown Honduran
Size: robusto
Price: Discontinued so it doesn’t matter, making this review rather pointless.... but they used to be about $7.

I got this cigar about 6 months ago from a guy on another forum who was getting rid of bunches of cheap sticks for the price of postage. He sent 10 so it cost me about 60 cents. He must have had it for a while because it was discontinued about 7 years ago, and the cellophane is pretty yellow. I had naive hopes for this cigar, thinking the sun grown wrapper would give it some interesting flavors. It also wasn’t super cheap back in it’s day, and it has plenty of age. And some pretty enthusiastic reviews on old forum threads. So I thought I might be getting off easy with my last dog rocket review. But no such luck.

The name of the cigar is just stupid – especially that it has a meaningless capital “E” at the end. I like the smiling sun - like you see on old medieval maps - but it doesn’t fit with the name. It's like naming a cigar The Widowmaker and having a pink unicorn on the band. Are you listening, Caldwell?

Pre-light draw is like stale red wine, left forgotten on the kitchen counter when you go away for a week and come back to find it has grown little islands of mold which are floating on top. Kind of sickly-sweet like overripe fruit. The cigar feels light and there are some big-ass veins, bordering on branches. And those bumps look like leprosy.

First few puffs are mild and cedary, but why do so many dog rockets have that burning brown paper bag flavor? This does not bode well. There’s also a nasty little bite which I suppose I could call “pepper” if I were in a charitable mood, but it’s really more like hundreds of tiny ants biting the inside of my mouth.

There are some prominent earthy, mineral flavors coming through, and a lot of toast. Burnt toast. It’s funny how so many descriptions of cigars say they taste like toast, as if that’s a good thing. I like toast as much as the next guy, but usually with jam or honey for breakfast. Not burnt to a blackened cinder and rolled up in tobacco leaves.

The burn is good, but the draw is pretty tight. I’m starting to wish it was tighter and that some blockage would prevent this smoke from entering my mouth. The smoke itself is medium-bodied, and the strength is too. The smell is a little rank. Toast and dank rotting vegetables smoldering in a paper bag.

Getting into the second third and now it's all brown paper bag, with the added sizzle of burning electronics. Did my laptop just have a meltdown? No, that's my cigar. What a revoltin’ development. My mouth is dry, my neck is stiff, and my head is starting to ache.

This actually tastes a lot like that Consuegra I smoked last week - like generic General Cigar second. It deserved to be discontinued, and I’m glad it was. I can’t think of any reason to smoke this cigar, and if it was the only brand left on earth I’d give up the hobby in a second and get into cosplay instead. In fact, it's so boring and one-dimensional that I’m not even inspired to express my hatred for it in any kind of creative way. I’m just disgusted – not by the cigar itself particularly, but by the fact that it even exists and that people out there liked it. It’s an existential nausea - the same kind of depressed, alienated feeling you get when you realize just how many fans Justin Bieber has.

I’ve reached the halfway point and it’s suddenly gone all spongey, and has decided to go out. It’s as if it’s aware of it’s own poor excuse for existing and has willed itself to die. I’ll respect it’s wishes, and won’t be re-lighting.

In the end, a picture is worth a thousand words:

I will close this with a thanks to @multi-useless for this thread and for his generosity to the kids of Esteli, even it is in sadistic return for the nauseating sacrifices made by his fellow BOTLs….. I would also like to make a plea for next years contest to be “Smoke your best cigars for OE”!

Now that's a way to end this thread with a bang. Wow. Had me laughing with a grimace the whole time.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Alright team, the results are in... (drumroll....)

37 dog rockets = $37

+26 bonus points = $63

+1 flavor wheel = $64

x2 = $128 total raised for the kids of Esteli! Donation upcoming - pics to follow.

A big thanks to everyone who participated in this, especially @SouthernerInSask for backing this with me - we wouldn't be here without Terry, or without everyone who stepped up and smoked these horrific things. I hope everyone had as much fun with this as I did!

I'm gonna give it a couple days for people to keep voting on their favorite reviews by clicking "like" on the posts - voting will end when my cbid and monster orders arrive, looks like Wednesday for both of them. Prize packages will go out within a few days after that - I'll PM the winners for their addys, so keep an eye on your inboxes.

Thanks again to everyone for making this thread a success, for helping us raise money for OE, and for all the laughs!

SouthernerInSask

© MCMLXI
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Donation is made! Heres a screenshot...

You guys did such an excellent job on reviewing these nasty, stinky, disgusting sticks, that I had to kick in a little extra since I wasnt able to do any real dogrocket reviews.

Thanks to all who posted up reviews, they were well done, entertaining & just damn funny! I hope your taste buds recover soon!

Also, thanks to Jamie (@multi-useless) for starting the challenge, for keeping the fun going here and for letting me take part in the madness!

Heres to next year gentlemen! I will be stocking up on dogrockets for the next years challenge!

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Funny how @multi-useless has been so quiet around here.... That's because he's been plotting and scheming!

Considering that I had forgotten this was even a contest, and that the whole point of this thread was a fun way for Jamie to donate to OE, this is way over the top! Thanks a ton, brother. Except for the JdN I've never had any of these. Looking forward to trying them all!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Funny how @multi-useless has been so quiet around here.... That's because he's been plotting and scheming!
LOL, I had intended to post up tracking numbers and all that, but got sidetracked for a few days. Now that I'm back, good to see that the 3 prize packages have landed. I have one more planned to launch in relation to this thread, but this one requires more careful planning and is therefore taking longer - should be able to complete it this weekend. (y)

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

Considering that I had forgotten this was even a contest, and that the whole point of this thread was a fun way for Jamie to donate to OE, this is way over the top! Thanks a ton, brother. Except for the JdN I've never had any of these. Looking forward to trying them all!
dayum!