What's new

The "unlucky" 13 retailers

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I wonder how many of the Unlucky 13 that took names are going to allow you to buy a full box? I just spoke with outlaw and they said they stopped taking names after 300 in one hour. Seems they may only be selling singles......

Drac

www.smokesignals.biz
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many of the Unlucky 13 that took names are going to allow you to buy a full box? I just spoke with outlaw and they said they stopped taking names after 300 in one hour. Seems they may only be selling singles......
I chose to not take a list due to having an event with Pete on 11/01.I thought that was fair and honest. I could have humored people and took information and not been able to come through so what would be the point of taking hundreds of names other than building contact data from guys that have and will not shop with me again. Now with that said I put it out there as a first come first serve deal, one box per customer in store. I want to open as few boxes as possible in case there might be a ticket in one. As a B&M I can say this, how many of the phone calls I got were from guys that will only buy from me when I have something special like this. I have tons of guys that support me all year here in shop and uy an ass load of Tatuaje from me to boot. How can you not take care of those that support you year round first when something limited comes around.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I chose to not take a list due to having an event with Pete on 11/01.I thought that was fair and honest. I could have humored people and took information and not been able to come through so what would be the point of taking hundreds of names other than building contact data from guys that have and will not shop with me again. Now with that said I put it out there as a first come first serve deal, one box per customer in store. I want to open as few boxes as possible in case there might be a ticket in one. As a B&M I can say this, how many of the phone calls I got were from guys that will only buy from me when I have something special like this. I have tons of guys that support me all year here in shop and uy an ass load of Tatuaje from me to boot. How can you not take care of those that support you year round first when something limited comes around.
I agree Drac, you need to take care of those who have been loyal. If it were me, I would set aside half or more for my loyal customers and then the rest to the first come first serve.

Drac

www.smokesignals.biz
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Drac, you need to take care of those who have been loyal. If it were me, I would set aside half or more for my loyal customers and then the rest to the first come first serve.
I have a feeling there will be guys in front of my store in a line before we open that day. Now tell me who else can get people to do that but Pete!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I have a feeling there will be guys in front of my store in a line before we open that day. Now tell me who else can get people to do that but Pete!
I'd have done the same in your shoes, drac, especially with the event. The unfortunate thing for all the Tat fans is that 90% of us don't live near a place that's selling boxes, so were sol. But Peyes working on a way to solve that for next year--1 retailer that will have hundreds of boxes.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'll be there waiting on line...hopefully weather will be better than what is predicted for this weekend!

I prefer that you left it on a first come, first served basis. It makes so much sense to have a Drac event and actually have Dracs available to sell.

Drac

www.smokesignals.biz
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so too DK. I tell you I spent alot of time trying to figure the right thing to do on this. Imagine that Pete has that issue mulitplied alot more. One of the things I love about this industry is that for the most part the manufacturers we deal with have honor and try to think in terms beyond just profit. I am not sure many industries can say the same. Trying to make the cigar smoker happy is a tough road but alot of us realize that is of paramount importance because without the end user, all of us retailers and the manufacturers are looking for work.

I prefer that you left it on a first come, first served basis. It makes so much sense to have a Drac event and actually have Dracs available to sell.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
My 2c

Sorry Drac, but the more I read your posts, the more I am convinced you are just self-promoting your shop here on this site without becoming a supporter.

While you say you want to do the right thing for your locals, however, you realize that you can get 100's of people in your store by not offering pre-orders. Instead of just pre-ordering 31 boxes, you are hoping that the 100's of people that stops by will pick up something else instead of leaving empty-handed. Instead of being happy about selling nearly $6k worth of product in a single day, most B&M's are trying to milk the customers in whatever way they can. Most shops, such as yourself, are using the excuse of loyalty to justify their practices.

You said you would even make your best friend stop by on your event day. That's not loyalty, that's creating hysteria and self-promotion.
I do not see it like that at all. This is for a Tatuaje event and 5 yr Anniversary, how come he shouldn't be able to sell them during the event?

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I do not see it like that at all. This is for a Tatuaje event and 5 yr Anniversary, how come he shouldn't be able to sell them during the event?
I agree. Pete is going to visit a shop in Addison TX on the 29th and the shop has already preordered the small allotment they are getting. It is a real bummer to drive out for the opportunity to meet Pete, but not have the chance to sample the Drac.

Drac

www.smokesignals.biz
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect your opinion on this MoneyCollector. But how am I promoting, I do not sell online at all. Honestly I it would be alot easier to just sell all the boxes to my members and regulars which would be done in an hour or so of offering the product. Getting to meet new people that may show up is cool and I look forward to it but I am not counting on any of them starting to buy from me if they have not been doing so already. I really do not anticipate many of them buying anything other than what they came for in the first place. Last year we had a packed house for the Anniversary and I did not shill anywhere to make it so. Believe me dude, I am not counting on anything I wrote here to beef up my business, frankly it is not necessary in the least.
If I feel I am guilty of anything it is having a big fuckin mouth and maybe I should not even get involved in discussions on forums period. I have been a member of many cigar forums for many years and even was Admin on one for a while. Silly that I thought that a retailers poerspective might be welcome, especially one that does not sell online. I have read posts about the shenanigans of some of my peers and just wanted to speak for the shops that do the right thing. Everyone has their two cents on how guys should handle their shops and talk a good bit of smack without the first hand knowledge of running a cigar store and the double edged sword that it can be.
Anyhow, I will make an attempt to dissapear from here for your pece of mind if you would like.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
My 2c

Sorry Drac, but the more I read your posts, the more I am convinced you are just self-promoting your shop here on this site without becoming a supporter.

While you say you want to do the right thing for your locals, however, you realize that you can get 100's of people in your store by not offering pre-orders. Instead of just pre-ordering 31 boxes, you are hoping that the 100's of people that stops by will pick up something else instead of leaving empty-handed. Instead of being happy about selling nearly $6k worth of product in a single day, most B&M's are trying to milk the customers in whatever way they can. Most shops, such as yourself, are using the excuse of loyalty to justify their practices.

You said you would even make your best friend stop by on your event day. That's not loyalty, that's creating hysteria and self-promotion.

sorry, but this is just harsh. any shop that has pete come in for an event is gonna have a crowd, dracs or not, so that just doesn't fly.
hoping people buy product??? well, gee, wouldnt' that be how you make a living? come on. if a shop jacks up prices, then THAT'S when i call foul.
there is no way a shop that has dracs is gonna please everyone. they certainly don't "owe" it to everyone to put their supply online. you want to be fair, sell singles to everyone who wants one so everyone gets a chance. that's what america is all about now. everyone deserves everything.
you want to do it "right", start your own shop, go in debt, support your family with it, then you can do as you please.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I respect your opinion on this MoneyCollector. But how am I promoting, I do not sell online at all. Honestly I it would be alot easier to just sell all the boxes to my members and regulars which would be done in an hour or so of offering the product. Getting to meet new people that may show up is cool and I look forward to it but I am not counting on any of them starting to buy from me if they have not been doing so already. I really do not anticipate many of them buying anything other than what they came for in the first place. Last year we had a packed house for the Anniversary and I did not shill anywhere to make it so. Believe me dude, I am not counting on anything I wrote here to beef up my business, frankly it is not necessary in the least.
If I feel I am guilty of anything it is having a big fuckin mouth and maybe I should not even get involved in discussions on forums period. I have been a member of many cigar forums for many years and even was Admin on one for a while. Silly that I thought that a retailers poerspective might be welcome, especially one that does not sell online. I have read posts about the shenanigans of some of my peers and just wanted to speak for the shops that do the right thing. Everyone has their two cents on how guys should handle their shops and talk a good bit of smack without the first hand knowledge of running a cigar store and the double edged sword that it can be.
Anyhow, I will make an attempt to dissapear from here for your pece of mind if you would like.

Drac...no need to jump. Good to have you on and your perspectives. Tensions are just high and if I was 10 mins from your shop...I would have a tent set up out side for 3 days before hand to get a Drac and meet Pete:) But I am a little further than that...just like 90% of the rest of us! It is awesome that you got selected and cannot wait to hear how it goes. And to be quite honest...not sure I would like to be you for the next two weeks:) Just enjoy what you can and keep on postin!

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
My 2c

I quite enjoyed most of Dracs posts here. Most of us on here can bitch and moan about how we would do things if it was us. He actually has to make the descisons that the rest of us just talk about. Un fortunately if I owned a store I doubt I would take online or phone orders unless that was much of my business already. I probably wouldn't sell boxes even as I would prefer the repeat boxes of single's with limits. Now I think him leaving it an event may gain him a bit I think it goes well with the smoke. A rare cigar and a big event just seems to work.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I ahve to agree that Drac seems well within his rights in what he's saying and doing.

Some people seem to think that shops are being "unfair" in this release--but who said life is fair? Where us that written? Unless they were given rules that they are now braking, anything goes. Shops are doing what they think is in their OWN best interest, as they always do. We can't expect them to sell to us over the phone when instead they could sell to someone more strategic--someone coming in for an event, a regular or "member," whatever. This is quite appropriate for those shops to do. Of course the macro-level problem is that there are hardly any full boxes available to the public. But that's not the fault of any invididual shop.

That being said, some places like the RI "Unlucky 13" shop and Tampa Humidor are going too far in my opinion in trying to profit off this. Again, no rules means no rules--but I will certianly never buy from either of them ever.

ahbroody

Daddy X3
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My 2c

This is a bad post and sounds like its made by someone who didnt get a box and is upset about that.

See I guess because I know some of the guys who work at shops and have talked to them I have a different take. I call some of them friends and talk to them outside of the shop. I am guessing what happened is a lot of the locals of these shops said "HEY WTF? I come in here and spend my money every day and you sell these sticks to non locals? Maybe I should support other people instead of you." End of the day local shops live and die by walk in customers, not by people on the other side of the country who only call because they want the special sticks. When these are gone all these guys on wait lists will never buy another stick or not enough to make it worth them screwing there locals who keep their doors open.

I was shocked these local shops were doing lists and screwing their locals. I actually think these shops made a smart business decision by taking care of their loyal and local customers over other persons. It is fair in my book. Its fair to the local customers who keep the shops doors open and buy Petes product throught the year. The reason why they are getting the sticks in the first place. So I think what the shops are doing now is much more fair to their actual true patrons then what was occurring before. Thats why I think Dona at Mission while a pain sometimes is smart. Who does she take care of first? The people that keep her doors open every day. After the people that actually keep her in business are helped then she helps others.

Sorry to disagree but the shops made the smart business decision and are treating their true customers fair in my book

All many on here want are their dracs and could care less if the unlucky 13 lost their cusomer base and were forced to close because they screwed their customers over. This is basic business . Arguing they should be happy to sell the boxes to whom ever and screw the people who keep them in business makes no sense from a business 101 perspective. OOO and I will be getting some dracs because my two local shops want to stay in business and take care of their locals. I may not get a box, but I will be getting some. Am I bitter I am not getting a box? No I want my locals to stay in business cause I like going there. Do you even have a local shop you support? I got to imagine no because you would be pissed if they got 31 boxes and were selling them to none of the locals including yourself.

Sorry for the long post, but the above post is very frustrating.

Last edited:

themoneycollector

Ermagherd Sergarse
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hey Drac, I'm sorry if I offended you. It was just my opinion. Please stick around.

Honestly, there is no such thing as "right" way to do this. There's just too many Tat whores like myself and clearly not enough to go around. Whether is pre-order, holding back for locals, having an event. None of them seem to be able to deal with the demand this year. I try to support my local as well, so I understand the attachment that so many of us have.

I wish I could have gotten a box this year. I'm sure many share my sentiment about this as well.

Regardless, I was just posting my opinion. I am sorry if I offended him.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Hey Drac, I'm sorry if I offended you. It was just my opinion. Please stick around.

Honestly, there is no such thing as "right" way to do this. There's just too many Tat whores like myself and clearly not enough to go around. Whether is pre-order, holding back for locals, having an event. None of them seem to be able to deal with the demand this year. I try to support my local as well, so I understand the attachment that so many of us have.

I wish I could have gotten a box this year. I'm sure many share my sentiment about this as well.

Regardless, I was just posting my opinion. I am sorry if I offended him.
THere is a difference between Posting your opinion and blasting someone for no reason, other then the fact that you are upset for not getting a box.

You stepped over the line into a personal attack, and it was uncalled for.

In my opinion, of course.

~brooks

Last edited: