What's new

This years pepper plants 2015

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
do you like the scorpion pepper in there? I ate a piece of one I grew and wasnt sold on the flavor. Was curious to know how it was in the salsa. Like the douglah 7 pot I used was AWESOME in the salsa- such a good flavor to it

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A few more shots as we move into fall here in central Texas. After fighting a loosing battle with the summer heat by putting up a shade tent I am finally being rewarded for my efforts and patience! Plants are healthy and green, full of buds (that aren't dropping), and peppers! Some of the first since the beginning of summer when it was still "cool". Plant size is around 4'-5' tall per plant with a whopping (for me anyway) 30+ peppers growing on each. Stepped up the GH Tiger Bloom feeding schedule and watering every day. I took down the netting and top shade but am going to leave up the PVC frame as I bet I will be tying up branches due to pod weight.. Plants in the front yard bed also doing quite well, just a bit smaller in overall height and width which was to be expected since those didn't have 100% amended soil to grow in. I am hoping to get 40 more days in until the first freeze, we will see.

P.S. Not a lot of action on my 7pot brain strain or Trinidad scorpions. Just a few peppers but a ton of flowers. Expecting more to come with time.

Another picture update when I start to get some color on those pods.

Reginas red hots

Habanero Jamaican Red (this is the plant with the huge racquet ball sized pods)

Front bed

Red habanero

Sent from my iPad

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A few more shots as we move into fall here in central Texas. After fighting a loosing battle with the summer heat by putting up a shade tent I am finally being rewarded for my efforts and patience! Plants are healthy and green, full of buds (that aren't dropping), and peppers! Some of the first since the beginning of summer when it was still "cool". Plant size is around 4'-5' tall per plant with a whopping (for me anyway) 30+ peppers growing on each. Stepped up the GH Tiger Bloom feeding schedule and watering every day. I took down the netting and top shade but am going to leave up the PVC frame as I bet I will be tying up branches due to pod weight.. Plants in the front yard bed also doing quite well, just a bit smaller in overall height and width which was to be expected since those didn't have 100% amended soil to grow in. I am hoping to get 40 more days in until the first freeze, we will see.

P.S. Not a lot of action on my 7pot brain strain or Trinidad scorpions. Just a few peppers but a ton of flowers. Expecting more to come with time.

Another picture update when I start to get some color on those pods.

Reginas red hots

Habanero Jamaican Red (this is the plant with the huge racquet ball sized pods)

Front bed

Red habanero

Sent from my iPad

This is awesome man- im going to get back into it next year- i took this one off from my peppers and have been burning through some of the ones I have in my freezer. Need to get up for a CenTex herf sometime and get some tips lol. I was running ~30 peppers a couple years ago but Some of them I just couldnt get to produce. Others did awesome. The sun is so brutal here in the summer for the peppers

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
This is awesome man- im going to get back into it next year- i took this one off from my peppers and have been burning through some of the ones I have in my freezer. Need to get up for a CenTex herf sometime and get some tips lol. I was running ~30 peppers a couple years ago but Some of them I just couldnt get to produce. Others did awesome. The sun is so brutal here in the summer for the peppers
Leave Tejas bro

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Good looking plants! I'm having the same routine with my scorpion and ghost, especially the ghost. Heat is too high and all the blossoms fall off.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
About a month since the last update. Weather is getting cooler so I am getting a ton of pods. Hope to make it till mid November. Going to pickle, dry, freeze, and of course make some hot sauce. Really happy with the Reginas red hots and new Jamaican red habanero strains lots and lots of pods, so many I left the PVC shade frame up to support the plants.

Sent from my iPad

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a lot of peppers still on also. Would love to hear how you make hot sauce.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looking great! We just got our first cold snap and my plant is finally starting to set fruit. Nothing quite picture worthy yet but soon.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Was given a few treats grown by my buddy in Rochester and thought they were rare enough to merit posting some pics. I've harvested at least 40 pods off my plant so far but nothing this badass.
Chocolate moruga scorpion, next to a red for comparison and a broadleaf maduro again for color comparison.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449532134.729238.jpg

You can see the pimpled skin on these babies. Signature trait of moruga scorps and a fierce warning this pepper means business!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449532250.083710.jpg

And the very rare White Habanero...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449532430.403285.jpg

It's hard to fathom that the majority of people will spend their entire lives and will never see either variety of these peppers. Let alone physically have them both at the same time. The harsh negative here is my buddy grows like 30 pepper varieties at once so these are almost guaranteed to be crossbred and who knows with what.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Was given a few treats grown by my buddy in Rochester and thought they were rare enough to merit posting some pics. I've harvested at least 40 pods off my plant so far but nothing this badass.
Chocolate moruga scorpion, next to a red for comparison and a broadleaf maduro again for color comparison.

View attachment 74271

You can see the pimpled skin on these babies. Signature trait of moruga scorps and a fierce warning this pepper means business!!

View attachment 74272

And the very rare White Habanero...

View attachment 74273

It's hard to fathom that the majority of people will spend their entire lives and will never see either variety of these peppers. Let alone physically have them both at the same time. The harsh negative here is my buddy grows like 30 pepper varieties at once so these are almost guaranteed to be crossbred and who knows with what.
Have grown the red moruga and the white hab. My white habs didnt quite end up elongating like that though. Stayed more a jellybean type shape. Was quite good for messing with a couple friends hahaha. If he has them (he probably does if he has that many plants) should give the Douglah 7 pot a try. Delicious pepper. have used it in salsas, chilis, and popcorn. Great flavor and ofc a lot of heat.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I planted Jalapeno, Sorrano, Habanero and ghost chillis. The Jalapeno and the Sorrano produced like gangbusters. I got virtually nothing from the ghost and Habanero. Even though they were grown next to each other. The habanero flowered like crazy but never set and the ghost never even flowered. Can any of you help me figure out why. I want to try again next year but it was darn depressing. I really don't want a repeat.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
@Mikes seems to be the resident expert on this stuff with the way his plants were growing lol. What were you using to feed?

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have grown the red moruga and the white hab. My white habs didnt quite end up elongating like that though. Stayed more a jellybean type shape. Was quite good for messing with a couple friends hahaha. If he has them (he probably does if he has that many plants) should give the Douglah 7 pot a try. Delicious pepper. have used it in salsas, chilis, and popcorn. Great flavor and ofc a lot of heat.
Im not sure what his whole lineup is but I know he's probably got around 10 different super hot varieties along with tons of other stuff. Ive heard great things about Douglahs though so I'll definitely pass the word along.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Sweet pix! Next year I'm going to throw a few chocolates in the mix.

@Torkey

I use a local organic soil that is mixed 1 bag to a crap ton of pearlite to keep the soil loose. This means you will have to water more often but not worry about root rot or wet root which super hots hate. I fertilize with fox farms big bloom and tiger grow after I see the first pods form...usually after 4-5 weeks in the soil. While they are still growing I use Fox farms grow big. Or miracle grow for tomatoes. Gotta remember to the it easy when they are young or you will burn them with the nutes.

My plants are still producing pods but have shed a few leaves due to a few 36 deg nights. Not to worry as tomorrow thru Sunday the weather is in the low 80s :). I think soon I am going to trim down the plants to the fast branches and throw on the green house top and see if I can't carry over these plants in this manner till April. With this big ass root base in the raided planter they should take off faster then ever. Love my VegTrug!

Total count of pods off of each plant is about 2 1/4 lbs!

Sent from my iPad

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So what in the world will you do with all that heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eat it till it hurts! Lol. Seriously I eat a lot of it diced up raw. Make salsa. Pickle. Can em. I even give some to a local farm to table restaraunt every year.....they love it. I have been known to send out cigar and pepper bombs at random as well :)

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Eat it till it hurts! Lol. Seriously I eat a lot of it diced up raw. Make salsa. Pickle. Can em. I even give some to a local farm to table restaraunt every year.....they love it. I have been known to send out cigar and pepper bombs at random as well :)
I would love a pepper bomb next time your packing, hell I would even pay you for it!