What's new

Thoughts on this?

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Not sure if this is the right forum so feel free to move if need be. I was on another site and saw this.
[video=youtube;uhRs15ZJ8pQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRs15ZJ8pQ[/video]
What do you guys think? I'm kind of pissed about it. We are doing a good/great thing with OE and many people and companies have helped out but some I've contacted passed yet somehow CO gets all kinds of crazy donations to buy a toy for himself. Seems like they think it may help bottom line to donate to him and help get good reviews? To be honest I never even go on CO so I could be way off on this post. I do see some of the companies that donated to OE on the table so please don't think this is about you guys. We all know who are standup people and what you have been willing to do without a second thought.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I've never heard of this site, but WOW. What a douche move.

Calling it a 'giveaway' in the early going is an insult to the intelligence of anyone watching, and if I were one of the vendors who 'donated' to this garbage, I'd be sending a letter demanding my items be pulled from this AND returned to me.

Imagine if Eric decided instead of supporting a school in Nica, he used all the generosity of our BOTL sponsors to exploit the membership to organize an all expenses paid trip for the mods/admins to a Cigar Safari.... :crosseyed

Now that I think about it...hmm...that doesn't sound half bad....Where do I get me one of those 'donate' buttons!?!? :blob:

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Its a free country Bro. Seems like a real personable chap too .
Being able to pull off a nice little video with real backing for a new a scooter and a CO ribbon around it is quite an achievement if i say so myself.

OE is a charity campaign and so with it comes that nice feeling. As for turning it around and frowning on any and all other non charitable offerings ?

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
.Imagine if Eric decided instead of supporting a school in Nica, he used all the generosity of our BOTL sponsors to exploit the membership to organize an all expenses paid trip for the mods/admins to a Cigar Safari.... :crosseyed

Now that I think about it...hmm...that doesn't sound half bad....Where do I get me one of those 'donate' buttons!?!? :blob:
How do I donate AND sign up for that trip?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
It's a business at the end of the day. People who want to help with OE will do so cause they see it as a good cause. The people donating to Brians fundraiser for a motorcycle is a business move not a moral one so meh. I do watch some of his videos though

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I've never heard of this site, but WOW. What a douche move.

Calling it a 'giveaway' in the early going is an insult to the intelligence of anyone watching, and if I were one of the vendors who 'donated' to this garbage, I'd be sending a letter demanding my items be pulled from this AND returned to me.
Couldn't agree more. I do wonder how he pitched that to the companies. I have a feeling it wasn't "Hey can I have some free stuff from you so I can sell it and buy myself a bike."

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I am not sure how I feel about this. On one hand this is probably a full time job for him at this point and I feel as long as he is being honest to the people and the companies that donate it is okay. I don't think it was ever intended for charity and as far as paying him off CO doesn't rate sticks, he just let's you know what he tastes in a cigar. On the other hand though I am bummed because it could go for a fundraiser for CFW or something like that. I wouldn't call him a douche though as long as he has been honest with everyone. It is kinda wierd though.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don't raffles at sporting events work the same way? The team/school sells you a ticket... which you buy for a chance to win more money... the team/school keeps the profit. Ultimately its a guaranteed win for the team/school (or CO in this case) and a chance at a win for all the ticket holders (people who donate). Although it is early so i may be processing this thing completely wrong in my whiskey damaged brain.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
It's all about morals. We could argue until we are blue in the face (or fingers) about this because some people see it as wrong and others have no problems with it. It's all about your morals. Do I think that some of this stuff could have went to better use? 100% (i.e.. OE or other charities instead of someones personal pleasure), but as people have pointed out, he isn't hiding anything. He is saying straight up what this is for. If people "donate" to this, that is there choice, personally I feel my money would be better used in one of the OE auctions on here.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Don't raffles at sporting events work the same way? The team/school sells you a ticket... which you buy for a chance to win more money... the team/school keeps the profit. Ultimately its a guaranteed win for the team/school (or CO in this case) and a chance at a win for all the ticket holders (people who donate). Although it is early so i may be processing this thing completely wrong in my whiskey damaged brain.
You are fairly accurate here. However, professional sports teams have foundations. As an example, since your a Hawks fan, there is the Chicago Blackhawks Community fund. The other half of that 50/50 money goes to the foundation and then their board would delegate where that money went. I would say that 99% of major league sports teams do this (I don't say 100% cause I I would be lying if I said I knew every team did).

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
For me it's more about people willing to donate for a toy and then be on the fence about kids and schools. I'm not saying he shouldn't have the right to do it and I know he works a lot with CFW but it's not something I'd do or contribute to.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I just want to say as well comparing this to OE is ridiculous, this has nothing to do with it besides the fact that it's being brought up.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually a big fan of Bryan, I've been subscribed to him on YT for a long time and have watched pretty much every one of his reviews. I find him to be very knowledgeable, entertaining (cigar ash always falling on his lap) and honest. I do have mixed thoughts on this fundraiser though, which I will not be participating in. He has been completely honest in where the prizes came from and where the proceeds will go, and his win/win/win logic makes sense to me, but there's something about it I'm just not comfortable with.