What's new

Thoughts on this?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I've never heard of this site, but WOW. What a douche move.

Calling it a 'giveaway' in the early going is an insult to the intelligence of anyone watching, and if I were one of the vendors who 'donated' to this garbage, I'd be sending a letter demanding my items be pulled from this AND returned to me.
Couldn't agree more. I do wonder how he pitched that to the companies. I have a feeling it wasn't "Hey can I have some free stuff from you so I can sell it and buy myself a bike."
I would be interested in what the companies were told though. As long as he was honest though.
He was 100% clear about his intentions from the start, the people that donated items to this agreed to trade for advertising.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Hell, he has been more than helpful for me in learning about cigars. All he has to do is ask and I would donate without a raffle. I realize this is his hobby but he has put in countless hours doing this and probably sacrificing hundreds if not thousands of hours of his own personal time.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I just want to say as well comparing this to OE is ridiculous, this has nothing to do with it besides the fact that it's being brought up.
I think the comparison came because some, not all, of these companies were contacted regarding the OE fundraiser and said no. Fundraising is such a loose term.
I agree with Ants, I don't think he has done anything wrong. I just get this weird feeling from it. Again, back to people morals I guess.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Seems odd but he's forthcoming. His compensation for organizing?
Advertisement. They get advertisement to all of his followers/subscribers, he gets money to buy him motorcycle and the people who donate get the chance to win things for $20. That's his win/win/win that he talks about.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Seems odd but he's forthcoming. His compensation for organizing?
Advertisement. They get advertisement to all of his followers/subscribers, he gets money to buy him motorcycle and the people who donate get the chance to win things for $20. That's his win/win/win that he talks about.
Gotcha

I can't say there's anything wrong with it from my perspective. Just my two cent opinion

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Bryan has huge numbers. Almost 23,000 subscribers to his YT channel and is the most followed reviewer there. He's also a professional wedding photographer which is why he knows how to light his videos, get decent audio, etc.

When someone has that kind of a following in a relatively niche market, manufacturers will definitely pay attention. It's incredibly cheap for Davidoff (for example) to send him 2 or 3 high-end cigars (that they know will get a good marks) for review and have Bryan's viewers start to buy not only that line of Davidoff but others in their lineup.

I agree - as long as he's open (which he seems to be) I have no problem with it. As for being honest with the manufacturers, I am willing to bet the farm that they all looked at his numbers and have an agreement in place before they sent him anything for this. Or, if they didn't, they felt it was a calculated risk not to do so.

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
IMHO he can do whatever he wants, sounds like it is on the up and up.

I will say, as someone who has spent a lot of time reaching out to manufacturers about donations for OE that I"m annoyed at some that said no, but will help fund a bike. I UNDERSTAND it is in exchange for advertising, but we offered them that too. My issue is with some that donated items to him, but wouldn't even return out outreach attempts. I have no beef with him.

All of that said, any spare money I have has gone into OE, because as a husband of a public school teacher I would rather fund a school than someone else's toy. But that is MY choice with MY dollars. To each their own.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
IMHO he can do whatever he wants, sounds like it is on the up and up.

I will say, as someone who has spent a lot of time reaching out to manufacturers about donations for OE that I"m annoyed at some that said no, but will help fund a bike. I UNDERSTAND it is in exchange for advertising, but we offered them that too. My issue is with some that donated items to him, but wouldn't even return out outreach attempts. I have no beef with him.

All of that said, any spare money I have has gone into OE, because as a husband of a public school teacher I would rather fund a school than someone else's toy. But that is MY choice with MY dollars. To each their own.
That is exactly how I feel! He's free to do this and I don't knock him but I sure know what companies I will and won't support anymore.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
The guy is doing absolutely nothing wrong, the companies giving prizes are doing absolutely nothing wrong and comparing this to charity is way off the mark. This is business pure and simple. The companies giving prizes to this guy are getting more advertising value giving cigars/products rather than cash for advertising. This guy can probably get more money raffling off these prizes than the amount he would get in advertising revenue. It's a win-win in the business sense for both this guy and the vendors. If someone wants to give this guy $20 for a chance to win a nice ashtray, cigar oasis or cigars, then who cares.

With that said, this all seems like a big douche move IMO. lol Please, please, please, buy me a motorcycle because I miss it. lol I started a cigar website so I can get advertising money and free cigars to smoke. Please, please, please, buy me a motorcycle...

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
When I want non essentials for my family I put in more hours of work. Last 2 years I cut my neighbors lawn and did landscaping work for cigar money. Put in over 350 hrs of OT as a medic at our cities ballpark, racetracks and on shift. But I've been raised to work and not beg for shit in life. I don't see anything wrong (except morally). But then again we all have our own ideals. Hey Bryan. If you want a motorcycle pick up more weddings photography or get another side job..... Back to reorganizing my garage on a beautiful Tuesday stay-cation.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
There's always room for a third or saving for a few years till he has enough. But that wouldn't be instant gratification. But I see your point.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
We wouldn't be having this conversation if he went to the manufacturers and asked for cash with a return of advertising trade value. But since he added another element of a raffle/fundraiser it got everybody's attention.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Really the only thing he did wrong was doing something for his fans. Otherwise this wouldn't even be a discussion. It would just be business as usual. The business gets a very cheap way to advertise, the fans get a good chance of a win and he gets a little reimbursement for his hard work.