What's new

Thoughts on this?

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Like I said before to me it's more about the companies and not him but he didn't present it as them sending for "payment" to advertise. The way I viewed the video was they donated to his cause for a new bike.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
We wouldn't be having this conversation if he went to the manufacturers and asked for cash with a return of advertising trade value. But since he added another element of a raffle/fundraiser it got everybody's attention.
Exactly. And it looks like the vendors are getting their "money's" worth with people talking about this video on cigar forums. I visited his site for the very first time and watched the video all because of this thread...

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
We wouldn't be having this conversation if he went to the manufacturers and asked for cash with a return of advertising trade value. But since he added another element of a raffle/fundraiser it got everybody's attention.
Exactly. And it looks like the vendors are getting their "money's" worth with people talking about this video on cigar forums. I visited his site for the very first time and watched the video all because of this thread...
41 (now 42) replies and 491 views on this thread... his idea is working.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
It only works if people at donating money. My hope is he's stuck with every last donation and no cash. Then maybe his "morals" will kick in and do the right thing.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Like I said before to me it's more about the companies and not him but he didn't present it as them sending for "payment" to advertise. The way I viewed the video was they donated to his cause for a new bike.
I get this BUT you have to look at a few things as well. First off this is a business for both parties, and I bet his website/youtube started off as a way to dive further into his cigar hobby or support it. From what I can see is that he has been around for 5 years on youtube and as mentioned above has a decent following. He has established himself in the community, and has already worked with these companies in some way or form.

A hurdle for OE is that it is brand spanking new this year, which can make it a little more difficult for some companies to get behind. Yes we are offering them exposure via our members seeing the thread and trying to blast it out via social media but we don't have any hard numbers to throw at them. He has most likely collected a good amount of data about the exposure (web banners, web visits, click throughs, subscribers...) these companies will get in return for their small donations.

I think its pretty hokey for him to do it yeah and OE's raffle will be a much better thing to give to but the man is being honest, and the businesses want to make sure the get their ROI. You have to understand, they aren't in the cigar business for the warm and fuzzies, they are here to make money like all of us.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Not sure why you have any anger against the vendors... they are not "donating" anything to his cause. They are getting advertising in return. They are probably getting more value by giving product rather than cash for advertising. Most of these cigar sites sell advertising, including our very own BOTL. Are you pissed at Eric for taking in money for advertising? Are you pissed at Emerson's and our other sponsors for "donating" to BOTL?

As I said in my original post, I think the guy comes across looking like a douche, but no one is doing anything wrong. (unless he isn't giving his share to the tax man like Bob brought up)

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
It only works if people at donating money. My hope is he's stuck with every last donation and no cash. Then maybe his "morals" will kick in and do the right thing.
If this is a success for him, posting the video here and talking about it helped as well. It isn't just about the donations, He prob got a little burst of views over this, which he can then show the companies at a later date to try for something similar.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
If this is a success for him, posting the video here and talking about it helped as well. It isn't just about the donations, He prob got a little burst of views over this, which he can then show the companies at a later date to try for something similar.
I don't like that he is doing this for a "toy", but, I'm not "donating" to his raffle either. I have thoroughly enjoyed the discussions on this thread and can see it from all perspectives. But, the fact of the matter remains, he did no wrong, he was clear from the get go what he was doing, and why. The vendors did no wrong, because, as stated in several other post here, they are getting cheap, very cheap, advertising to his viewing public as well as however many forums are reading and talking about this. The ONLY wrong that I can see here is that not a single one of us put all of the work and effort it takes to be able to put out a request like that.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
IMHO he can do whatever he wants, sounds like it is on the up and up.

I will say, as someone who has spent a lot of time reaching out to manufacturers about donations for OE that I"m annoyed at some that said no, but will help fund a bike. I UNDERSTAND it is in exchange for advertising, but we offered them that too. My issue is with some that donated items to him, but wouldn't even return out outreach attempts. I have no beef with him.

All of that said, any spare money I have has gone into OE, because as a husband of a public school teacher I would rather fund a school than someone else's toy. But that is MY choice with MY dollars. To each their own.
Well said Jim....

If he gets what he wants, good deal for him, I don't want my funds going to something like this, but that is me ..... funny thing is there is people out there that will donate to his cause , well not his cause so much as getting some cigars.

Thread Jacking for a few......

I'd like to thank the BOTL community for what we have done in the past with other fund raisers ie, Cancer Research in the name Don and Cle, and what we r doing with OE is going to make a big different in some kids lives. After dealing with other groups, sponsors on this project we have a great thing going here on BOTL. I have heard from other groups on Google and other cigar boards the Charity work we r doing is the right thing to do ......

End of Thread Jacking......

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Did anyone contact him for a possible plug for it? I know a lot of people watch his channel (myself included, his website is the reason I found BOTL). I don't think this is immoral, IMO. He was upfront. He didn't take a portion of what was donated for another cause or anything like that. He asked for product to give away for his bike. I don't like the fact that some vendors said no to OE and I won't stop buying from them strictly because of that (since there were only a few who did) I will throw my business to the ones who sponsored it, for sure and have donated to the cause myself. I have not donated to CO for his bike, just because my money can be better well spent. I'm not mad, I just won't support it. I could care less that it is for a toy, more power to him. I wish I had the ability to raise funds like that.

I also understand that OE is important, especially to us. But how many people have raised money to send their kids to space camp, field trips, disney world? Did you also donate to a breast cancer fund. Possibly not. Because you only donate to what you is important to you. I love what OE stands for. I also like a lot of other charities. I choose the ones that hits closest to home and since my wife is an elementary school teacher this is important to me. I can also see someone trying to raise money for prostate cancer looking in on us and thinking that we have problems in our own country and OE is a waste of money (this is NOT what I think, but can hear it). Or that their money can send their kid to DC. For all we know he could have donated to OE. Yes his bike isn't as good as a charity, to us. But don't support it. But I think anger is misplaced.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
So this is my last post on this. I didn't want any of this to come off as me being angry. I am a bit upset because some companies didn't even take the time to get back to me about donations but that's how the world works. Sure I don't think it's right how he's raising money but like I and others have said it's his right to do it. I for one won't contribute to it. If others do all the power to them but I can find many other ways to spend 20.00 on a cause I believe helps people.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
While what he is doing may be not be wrong, purely because of total transparency. That being said, there is a difference between right/wrong and good taste. I must say that bravo to him for having the balls to be honest in what his intentions are. That's better than some of the bomb fishing I've seen.

I'm personally not sure how much advertisement the products are getting. I watched the video and couldn't tell you a single product that was in that stack of stuff, nor do I care what they are.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For me the problem is in calling it a "Summer Fun Fundraiser Event". Organizing a true "Fundraiser" should be done selflessly to support causes like "Cancer Research" or "Feeding the Homeless." This isn't a cause worthy of a Fundraiser in my opinion. Normally when somebody approaches a potential sponsor to "donate" prizes for a Fundraiser the first question asked by the potential sponsor is: "What will the proceeds be going towards?" If he actually said: "A brand new Yamaha Motorcycle for me" and they still donated prizes then I'm shocked and saddened. If you want to buy advertising spots on his website or on his videos to take advantage of his viewership than just do that but don't give the man product to support such an idiotic, self-serving premise. FYI....if you come to my doorstep with your hat in your hand and have the stones to ask me to make a donation to your "Buy me a New Yamaha Motorcycle" fundraiser you had better have your health insurance paid up. I cannot believe that these "sponsors" jumped on board willingly after full disclosure.

Oh....and I love the way he completely throws his wife under the Bus in the video where he declares himself a far superior rider and how she is so inept she is lucky to be alive. Wonder if the little lady has seen this video. What an Asshat!

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Oh....and I love the way he completely throws his wife under the Bus in the video where he declares himself a far superior rider and how she is so inept she is lucky to be alive. Wonder if the little lady has seen this video. What an Asshat!
Exactly! Part of me applauds the balls he has to do something like this, but this part is ridiculous!

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
Douche move? Meh apparently he's being honest about it....I still think he's a POS. Just my opinion though, I work hard for my extra money(cigar $)....not post videos asking for people to buy me a bike.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
This is how he would of had to make the money for a toy before the digital age..................

Douche move? Meh apparently he's being honest about it....I still think he's a POS. Just my opinion though, I work hard for my extra money(cigar $)....not post videos asking for people to buy me a bike.
Agreed.

Better money could be spent to actual charities in need and not panhandlers looking for a handout. I spent my past weekend raising money for children suffering from Cycstic Fybrosic here in America. I myself raised $250 and my team together raised $1850 to help give children a better life. I could never ask for a handout like this, but that's just me.

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I saw this video when he first released it. I thought it was in poor taste then, and I still think that it's of poor taste. It's too bad, I really enjoy his reviews, but I'm not sure if I'll continue to subscribe to his channel.