What's new

"Toasting" the end

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was smoking before a friend who was a total cigar snob, tried to school me every time we smoked. ruined it for me so we stopped hanging out. you're holding it wrong, do this, do that, I prefer this way. that cigar sucks you need to buy these... you know what I mean?
anyways, one habit I picked up from him was "Toasting" the end before lighting. Does this actually add anything? I still do it. but is there actually a point?
just curious.
Matt

jonnylieberman

Ask Me About Outrage
Rating - 97.5%
53   1   0
I believe the idea is to not super heat it by applying too much flame and sucking. The idea being to cool the cigar as much as possible.

I've actually started doing quite a few cigars with the French cut technique. Toast the end, and then cut it. Seems to make the first three puffs even better. THe trade off is that you lose the cold draw. @drewvonah and I were discussing this last night. He was about to light up a Tat Verocu #9, which for my money has the best cold draw in the business.

But yes, I always toast. One way or the other.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, that makes sense. I hate a "runner" in my cigar! and its kind of a part of the ritual now. just wondering WHY I was doing it! lol thanks all.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Northwest Suburbs of the Windy City of Chicago
This is exactly how I light every cigar now. The heat source may vary, (and I never toast while the sulfur end is still attached) but the method is the same each time.

I have had fantastic results using this toasting/ lighting technique.
I've done the same thing Joel, every cigar now, and I honestly think it's made some difference. At least never for the worse.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I always toast the foot thoroughly (after clipping the head) to facilitate an even burn, and that's pretty much my only reason.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Another vote for toasting before cutting. Not cutting keeps the temps down (relatively) and the first draw is good, not harsh.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Another vote for toasting before cutting. Not cutting keeps the temps down (relatively) and the first draw is good, not harsh.
Agreed, and my touch ups are next to nil now. I'm getting a better, more consistent burn line and overall better experience. I expect this to vary (at least somewhat) when the weather breaks and I'm smoking more outdoors, but so far indoors...

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I have always done this in one way or another. What ha changed for me is cutting after toasting/lighting rather than before. Early on I could not figure out why my cigars never burned even. The B&M owner at the time took a few minutes to educate me on proper lighting (i.e. getting the entire foot to glow red before puffing). Only recently have I started to hold my torch further away and even started using a soft flame when the wind gods allow it.
Biggest different for me... less bitter/burnt flavor blasts on the first couple puffs.

As a Facebook friend posted the three matches video recently and I commented that "I smoke cigars to relax. Taking an extra minute to light it up and get my mind to slow down is not a bad thing".