What's new

"Toasting" the end

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Watched that video and I can see how applying this method does slow your head down in order to enter the relaxation of the smoke. My only indoor smoke happens at my B&M's lounge, so I may give it a try there, but for every day, 3 times a day, I'll likely go on with my normal method. Good topic and video!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I was smoking before a friend who was a total cigar snob, tried to school me every time we smoked. ruined it for me so we stopped hanging out. you're holding it wrong, do this, do that, I prefer this way. that cigar sucks you need to buy these... you know what I mean?
anyways, one habit I picked up from him was "Toasting" the end before lighting. Does this actually add anything? I still do it. but is there actually a point?
just curious.
Matt
Excellent 1st thread!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
like most guys have said, trying to make sure the ENTIRE head of the cigar is EVENLY lit, using the minimum of heat, over the smallest area, is one of the best ways to preserve and promote flavor from the start of a smoke. slowly toasting the foot with a torch first is the easiest and most accessible way of doing this for most of us. FWIW, that is why i LOVE my lighter; something with both a torch and soft flame allows for the toasting to an even char, then a soft gradual lighting of the smoke, at a substantially lower temp, with the soft flame. if you can find a lighter that has this feature, i HIGHLY recommend it.

also, this theary works for my pipers as well, and why we use the false/ charring light and true light. brute force is efficient, but results are better with time and finesse. and the nuance of flavor and texture are really what it is about anyway. o)

also, sorry that you had a mentor who tried to micromanage everything on you. that sucks. it is one thing to instruct, but he kinda sounded like an ass...

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I only use single flame torch and toast the cigar holding it about an inch away from the very tip of the flame and toast it until lit. I lightly breathe on the end until its uniform then wiat a few seconds and take my first draw. Always fantastic.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to try toasting sometime. If anything I think it makes it easier to use less conventional courses (like a zippo or matches) since you'd be avoiding drawing the unwanted flavors through. Looking forward to tonight's smoke now!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Oh, I though you meant raising a glass and actually toasting the cigar....
:)
Seriously, I have read many times that the flame should never actually touch the cigar when initially lighting. Yes you use more gas, but the result is an evenly lit, cooler burning, less harsh tasting cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I read alot of articles, and toasting is something I nearly always do, unless its too windy outside and I have only a soft flame. Generally provides a positive experience, but not sure how much it does/could affect taste.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
When I first started I read alot of articles, and toasting is something I nearly always do, unless its too windy outside and I have only a soft flame. Generally provides a positive experience, but not sure how much it does/could affect taste.
I was skeptical at first.
Then I used a torch lighter on a cigarillo, and a match to roast another identical.

They tasted rather different. Since, I always roast. I never rush a cigar, what would be the point? (but, like others, if wind prevent it, then, well, I do what I can)

When I use a torch, I generally taste some charring similar to burnt (instead of toasted) marshmallows...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually toast with a torch but I keep the flame pretty far away and make a real effort not to just cook the end of the cigar, main goal is to get the edge of the wrapper started, then i light the filler.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It seems like everyone posted before me has it covered to a T. So I can definitely say some of the methods I do as well. A peeve of mine that urked me more was seeing how your friend tells you how to smoke your cigar. You smoke it however you'd like to. I never tell someone how they should and shouldn't smoke their cigars especially if their newbies to the cigar smoking world. If they want my guidance or ask me what I prefer or a method I do they'd like to learn I'll gladly show them. We all have our own methods to our madness. And we all share a common hobby, cigar smoking.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Me too; stopped it 25% of the run. What's this guy's creds? Thanks for demonstrating the wrong way to light up!
That's Laurence Davies, owner of Sautter Cigars in London. While I don't recommend his lighting technique, he is very knowledgeable about CC's. I enjoy his reviews. He refers to himself as an industrial cigar smoker, and I can see why. He powers through a robusto in about 25 minutes. It was pretty funny watching him hot box a HUHC in about 13 min. Not my cup of tea. For the life of me I don't see how you can discover the nuances of a fine cigar by hot boxing the shit out of it, but that's just me. But I would not just discount the guy by his style of smoking. I've learned a lot by watching his reviews.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's Laurence Davies, owner of Sautter Cigars in London. While I don't recommend his lighting technique, he is very knowledgeable about CC's. I enjoy his reviews. He refers to himself as an industrial cigar smoker, and I can see why. He powers through a robusto in about 25 minutes. It was pretty funny watching him hot box a HUHC in about 13 min. Not my cup of tea. For the life of me I don't see how you can discover the nuances of a fine cigar by hot boxing the shit out of it, but that's just me. But I would not just discount the guy by his style of smoking. I've learned a lot by watching his reviews.
That's fair, but his technique makes me cringe...