What's new

"Toasting" the end

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Here's even a crazier idea... Light a cigar by just toasting it. Yep, try it youll love it.

The only people I "school" on cigar smoking are newbies that don't have a clue and close family and friends. Otherwise I dont mention anything. Most dudes are set in their ways and too proud to take any advice anyhow.

Your friend was giving you some good advice but most likely was being a douche about it. Its really all about how you say things, so if I see someone scorch the end of their cigar I might make a light hearted joke about it but not totally call them out on it. I've seen guys mash their cigars on an ashtray to put it out, everyone just kind of looked at each other in astonishment. Sooner or later etiquette/technique needs to be communicated but there are worst things in the world than poor smoking habits.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting to note that in the countless videos I've seen of cigar rollers in the various factories, I don't recall any of them "toasting" a cigar first, the just hold a match to them and light 'em up. Matter of fact, when I started smoking cigars in the 80's, I don't recall this affectation then either among cigar smokers. I only came back to smoking cigars a month or so ago and this whole toasting thing is new to me. I've tried it and lighting my cigars the traditional way (holding the flame away from the end and lightly drawing in and rotating the cigar to light it). I'm not sure I can detect much of a difference either way. I also prefer soft flame lighters.

That guy some of you are criticizing probably knows more about cigars than all of us put together.