What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Yeah, they’re similar enough that they’re often grouped together. You’ll see a lot of ryes in the bourbon section at the liquor store, or at least in the next section and usually made by bourbon distillers. Take that Sazerac for example, it’s made by Buffalo Tracethat also makes Eagle Rare, Blanton’s, Weller, EH Taylor, and Pappy. A lot of guys prefer the rye’s spicier profile to bourbons which tend to be sweeter.
Ahh wellers the red headed step child of the snobby pappy. Never "good enough" but everybody knows it's character that counts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I finally did my side by side taste comparison for Woodford Reserve. This is something I’ve wanted to do for at least a year and finally pulled the trigger. Everyone loves Woodford for the most part but I love it even more since it’s what got me into this great hobby back in 2015 (Distiller’s Select). Wouldn’t you know but since finishing my first bottle of Woodford I refused to take another sip (even when offered a free glass). I had this image in my mind of something that tasted a bit like heaven and didn’t want to turn it into purgatory, if it didn’t live up to the memory. I made a vow (seriously lol) that the next Woodford Bourbon product I would have was the Double Oaked, but then I had the great idea of buying a D.Select and making it a little more fun.

It was so worth the wait as the Double Oaked not only lived up to the hype, but now has surpassed my love for the Select, which was also amazing. Due to my much more refined palate however, it wasn’t as amazing as I remember.

The Double is much darker in shade, deeper more complex nose and rich in complexity. Love the new bottle design too. I saved my old Distillers Select bottle, before the redesigned labeling. The coolest thing about the Select was that I got a free WR rocks glass that I plan on learning how to make my first Old Fashioned. I’ve been researching materials. If I go about it the same way I did with my first bourbon, I’m sure it will be a win.

Numero Uno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So I finally did my side by side taste comparison for Woodford Reserve. This is something I’ve wanted to do for at least a year and finally pulled the trigger. Everyone loves Woodford for the most part but I love it even more since it’s what got me into this great hobby back in 2015 (Distiller’s Select). Wouldn’t you know but since finishing my first bottle of Woodford I refused to take another sip (even when offered a free glass). I had this image in my mind of something that tasted a bit like heaven and didn’t want to turn it into purgatory, if it didn’t live up to the memory. I made a vow (seriously lol) that the next Woodford Bourbon product I would have was the Double Oaked, but then I had the great idea of buying a D.Select and making it a little more fun.

It was so worth the wait as the Double Oaked not only lived up to the hype, but now has surpassed my love for the Select, which was also amazing. Due to my much more refined palate however, it wasn’t as amazing as I remember.

The Double is much darker in shade, deeper more complex nose and rich in complexity. Love the new bottle design too. I saved my old Distillers Select bottle, before the redesigned labeling. The coolest thing about the Select was that I got a free WR rocks glass that I plan on learning how to make my first Old Fashioned. I’ve been researching materials. If I go about it the same way I did with my first bourbon, I’m sure it will be a win.

Numero Uno

The bottle of Double Oaked I had was really enjoyable. The local liquor stores have a Double Oaked store pick available that is tempting me.

As for the Old Fashioned, I highly recommend picking up a bottle of Fee Brothers Black Walnut bitters. It’s a bit hard for me to describe, but it adds a really nice richness and depth the the drink when compared to something like Angostura bitter which I feel like provides more herbal notes. Maybe I’m way off with the adjectives but just get a bottle lol.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0

Numero Uno

I had some DO Tuesday night and it was amazing, last night I had some Heaven Hill BIB which also very tasty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bottle of Double Oaked I had was really enjoyable. The local liquor stores have a Double Oaked store pick available that is tempting me.

As for the Old Fashioned, I highly recommend picking up a bottle of Fee Brothers Black Walnut bitters. It’s a bit hard for me to describe, but it adds a really nice richness and depth the the drink when compared to something like Angostura bitter which I feel like provides more herbal notes. Maybe I’m way off with the adjectives but just get a bottle lol.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep that in mind when I buy the supplies. I think I will be buying Bulliet Rye for the whiskey; I was gonna go Rittenhouse BIB but heard that it drinks well below it's proof and I want to be able to retain as much Rye spice proof as possible when adding my bitters, sugar and garnish.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey! Ya got one alright! Let me know your thoughts on it.

I did a scotch taste test last weekend and my buddy loved it with the new glass. I have to admit, it does die down the alcohol off the nose allowing you to smell more of the character but I feel like the glencairn does win a bit off the taste for me. My friend thought the opposite so I guess it’s subjective lol. Hence why I’m trying bourbon tonight with it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey! Ya got one alright! Let me know your thoughts on it.

So far I’m really liking this glass with bourbon and I feel like with scotch I do prefer the glencairn just a tad bit more. But I think this glass is geared more towards bourbons, so it makes sense to me.