What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s not EC12.
Since Elijah Craig removed the age statement from their small batch, which at one point was 12 years I still call it that when I'm feeling lazy. It still technically is 12 years though but who can tell now with supply and demand and distilleries distancing themselves from Age Statements

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Actually, the EC SmB is in the 9-10 yr range these days. It's still solid bourbon at a great price. For reference, the Store Pick I opened yesterday was a 10 yr old barrel. The 12 is being reserved for the EC BP line, which is harder to come by, but excellent for the $60 price. One of my top 5 bourbons...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, the EC SmB is in the 9-10 yr range these days. It's still solid bourbon at a great price. For reference, the Store Pick I opened yesterday was a 10 yr old barrel. The 12 is being reserved for the EC BP line, which is harder to come by, but excellent for the $60 price. One of my top 5 bourbons...
Gotcha. My point was that the Elijah Craig starter Small Batch was once a 12 year but I'm guessing with the demand (and NAS trend in Kentucky) it's now a little lesser then that. Gotta love when they take something away, keep the price where it's at (or raise it), then in this case give it back with a higher proof, which most bourbon drinkers won't touch; myself not included as I prefer Barrel Proof.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Since Elijah Craig removed the age statement from their small batch, which at one point was 12 years I still call it that when I'm feeling lazy. It still technically is 12 years though but who can tell now with supply and demand and distilleries distancing themselves from Age Statements
It’s not 12 years. They took the age statement off because now it’s a mix of 8 and 12 year old bourbon. You can call it EC8 if you want. The Barrel Proof has a 12 year age statement still I believe.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s not 12 years. They took the age statement off because now it’s a mix of 8 and 12 year old bourbon. You can call it EC8 if you want. The Barrel Proof has a 12 year age statement still I believe.
Apparently I type to slow too

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Well, this conversation prompted me to follow through on my promise to compare the 12 vs Store Pick. The 12 is the era of Big Red 12 on front label, not age stated in fine print on back (which is more recent). Both very good, but the 12 definitely was a more refined taste. Not much grain, more caramel, good long finish. The Pick had a touch of grain there, and more butterscotch than caramel. Finish still good.

For the price, I'd definitely recommend the current EC SmB. Its $25-30, and while not as good as it once was, is still solid. If you can find a store pick, even better.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, this conversation prompted me to follow through on my promise to compare the 12 vs Store Pick. The 12 is the era of Big Red 12 on front label, not age stated in fine print on back (which is more recent). Both very good, but the 12 definitely was a more refined taste. Not much grain, more caramel, good long finish. The Pick had a touch of grain there, and more butterscotch than caramel. Finish still good.

For the price, I'd definitely recommend the current EC SmB. Its $25-30, and while not as good as it once was, is still solid. If you can find a store pick, even better.
I buy all of my Bourbon at a pretty large store, practically a regional location (Joe Canals). They had a Single Barrel Select that I should’ve pulled the trigger on months ago but didn’t, now it’s all gone. Wonder how much my memory is gonna test me as I haven’t had any Elijah Craig Whiskey since 2015. Hopefully they improved their cork materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thoughts on the Barrel New Year? I bought one a year or two ago & just havent cracked it yet
I really liked this bottle. I had actually had a pour when this 2017 was released and (granted is was pretty drunk as I had been out celebrating my birthday with a bunch of cousins) remember it tasting like Smokey, maple bacon. When opening this bottle it still had the real nice smokiness to it but not like scotch smokey of that makes sense. More like a sweet smokiness.

It’s hard to say I’d drop another $80-$90 for it again just because there is always other stuff I’m looking to buy, but I definitely enjoyed this bottle as wasn’t disappointed at all with the purchase.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're right. It's tough to look at a bottle and think "that's $1500 sitting there"... I had the same thoughts with my VW15 last year. And I had to break the seal to end my wife's adamant argument that I should sell it.

Then I just remember buying my GTS last year, standing in line with a bunch of guys who were talking about the places they scored bottles, which was worth more, and how much they are going to ask for them. They didnt care what they were buying, could have been baseball cards or beanie babies for all they cared... But those were the guys keeping the interesting booze out of the hands of the average joe.

That bookers box is in the kitchen, and just because I'm lazy. My bar is in the 3rd floor (finished attic) and has the bigger pile of corks on display.View attachment 126154
I like your repurposed Blanton’s bottle. Also I spy some Rye, you must be a fan. How’s the Sazerac? I’ve yet to try it but heard that it’s not what it use to be, is that true?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I forgot to post these new bottles. My little brother muled these for me. Finally got possession over the Thanksgiving holiday.
Big Red Liquors barrel pick Old Scout, Elmer T. Lee, and BeastMasters barrel pick Old Scout “Nose Candy”
View attachment 126182
Is Elmer T Lee readily available where you are? I’ve never seen one before in New Jersey.