What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
When nosing a rocks glass, I make sure to nose the upper rim of the tilted glass, not the lower one. The alcohol vapors are heavier than air, and concentrate more at the bottom. When you pause with the tilted glass for a second or two, it leaves a tamer, "lower alcohol nose" at the top rim. I enjoy this technique more on day-to-day pours. When I'm trying something new, or a favorite pour I want to immerse in, the glencairn offers the full experience.

Not right or wrong- no such thing. Just my preferred way...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When nosing a rocks glass, I make sure to nose the upper rim of the tilted glass, not the lower one. The alcohol vapors are heavier than air, and concentrate more at the bottom. When you pause with the tilted glass for a second or two, it leaves a tamer, "lower alcohol nose" at the top rim. I enjoy this technique more on day-to-day pours. When I'm trying something new, or a favorite pour I want to immerse in, the glencairn offers the full experience.

Not right or wrong- no such thing. Just my preferred way...
That's a good tip, I'll have to try that next time. What I like best about my Glencairn (opposed to the Rocks Glass) is that it's more of a one on one event. I tend to concentrate more when I'm with a group, but even more when I'm by my lonesome. It's also one heck of a conversation piece when everyone else is using run of the mill rocks glasses. I'm quite known at my cigar lounge for bringing my own glassware, even though they have two cabinets dedicated to all different types of spirit, beer and wine glasses.....but no Glencairn's lol.

nc_6789

Nick
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Nice!! Have you had Stagg Jr before? How was it? I wasn’t a fan of my first batch last year, it was too hot on the palate & finish for me & never really softened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely has a hot finish, but I had another glass yesterday with an ice cube and it was much better lol

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A small pour while grilling and cooking dinner. Another good value pour IMO. Actually prefer this to SiB version, which tends to drink hotter than it's proof.View attachment 126563
Nice, I haven't had any of the Russel's line yet but looking forward to trying it. Also I spy Booker's hiding in the background, the telltale annoying waxed cap was the giveaway for me. My wax cap remover was defective so I had to remove it with a knife and pluck it with a pair of pliers...not very elegant.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Nice, I haven't had any of the Russel's line yet but looking forward to trying it. Also I spy Booker's hiding in the background, the telltale annoying waxed cap was the giveaway for me. My wax cap remover was defective so I had to remove it with a knife and pluck it with a pair of pliers...not very elegant.
That Bookers is Annis' Answer batch (wedding ring on label). It's been open for awhile now. I'm not a big fan of Beam products, other than the KC store picks that are 12+ year. The grain/popcorn/"beam funk" finally disappears in the older barrels.

Like all WT, there is a lot of spiciness to the Russels lineup. I've only had a store pick for the RR SiB, and it drank hot. Could have been that particular barrel, idk, but it wasn't an easy one to drink neat... The 10 yr has a great balance of oak, spice, and sweetness, and is very affordable.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That Bookers is Annis' Answer batch (wedding ring on label). It's been open for awhile now. I'm not a big fan of Beam products, other than the KC store picks that are 12+ year. The grain/popcorn/"beam funk" finally disappears in the older barrels.

Like all WT, there is a lot of spiciness to the Russels lineup. I've only had a store pick for the RR SiB, and it drank hot. Could have been that particular barrel, idk, but it wasn't an easy one to drink neat... The 10 yr has a great balance of oak, spice, and sweetness, and is very affordable.
Awesome I will be on the lookout for one at a good price. I think my trepidation for them prior was the price. Also are you talking about Jim Beam Whiskey or Beam Suntory Products. Booker's, Basil Hayden, OGD, Maker's 46 are among my favorite readily available bourbons on the shelf, especially Booker's & Maker's 46. I haven't had much readily available Barrel Proof so I don't have much to compare Booker's to (Elijah Craig, EH Taylor, 4 Roses), which aren't available to me apart from 4 Roses Barrel Proof. Booker's for me was as good as Barrel Proof gets (readily available speaking). In no way am I comparing it to George T. Stagg or William LaRue Weller; both of which I've had. Those are my top two favorites so far.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice compliment to the Blanton's
I gotta play Battlefield 5 considering it's such a great compliment to Blanton's ;). I've been delaying getting a PS4 for a couple of years, due to Rockstar's lackadaisical position they've taken on releasing GTA 6. But with the release of Red Dead Redemption 2, I might let them slide on that as the game looks awesome.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Also are you talking about Jim Beam Whiskey or Beam Suntory Products. Booker's, Basil Hayden, OGD, Maker's 46 are among my favorite readily available bourbons on the shelf, especially Booker's & Maker's 46. I haven't had much readily available Barrel Proof so I don't have much to compare Booker's to (Elijah Craig, EH Taylor, 4 Roses), which aren't available to me apart from 4 Roses Barrel Proof. Booker's for me was as good as Barrel Proof gets (readily available speaking). In no way am I comparing it to George T. Stagg or William LaRue Weller; both of which I've had. Those are my top two favorites so far.
Yeah, I'm talking Jim Beam in general. I've enjoyed Bakers and BH in the past (although the 80 proof BH tasted a bit watered down for me). It's been awhile since I've tried them, so I need to revisit. Bottles like White, Black, Distillers Cut and Bookers all have that grain flavor I'm speaking of. Standard KC does too. And off-the-shelf KC SiB usually does to a lesser extent. I think I spoiled my palate for Beam products when I was invited to help with my first barrel picks. Tasting different SiB samples side by side gives opportunity to really explore personal preferences, and the differences really stand out. Once I noticed that grain note, or Beam "funk" as its commonly called, I couldnt miss it in subsequent opportunities to drink their lineup... Not to say it's bad, by any means, but just not my preference.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I gotta play Battlefield 5 considering it's such a great compliment to Blanton's ;). I've been delaying getting a PS4 for a couple of years, due to Rockstar's lackadaisical position they've taken on releasing GTA 6. But with the release of Red Dead Redemption 2, I might let them slide on that as the game looks awesome.
RDR2 is incredible as well!! Ha

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
In Vegas for a work conference and have had some solid pours so far. Last night I had a pour of Makers Mark private barrel (which have become one of the private barrels program I’m most interested in tasting as staves and cask strength really step it up compared to regular Makers), a pour of Yellowstone 2018 Limted Edition at the recommendation of the bartender which was amazing, and then smaller pour of Weller 12 he gave me on the house. I thought the Yellowstone was much better than the Weller.

Yellowstone on the left; Weller on the right (had drank most it by the time I took the picture)

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
In Vegas for a work conference and have had some solid pours so far. Last night I had a pour of Makers Mark private barrel (which have become one of the private barrels program I’m most interested in tasting as staves and cask strength really step it up compared to regular Makers), a pour of Yellowstone 2018 Limted Edition at the recommendation of the bartender which was amazing, and then smaller pour of Weller 12 he gave me on the house. I thought the Yellowstone was much better than the Weller.

Yellowstone on the left; Weller on the right (had drank most it by the time I took the picture)

Nice. Kudos to the wife for letting you go and leaving her with the kiddos. enjoy.