What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Here's some Bookers for me. From the inlaws. I haven't purchased Bookers since the price increase. It's delicious but not 65-70 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$65 - $70 would be an improvement here in NJ. I see it regularly for $85, which I don’t think is worth it. I wish Jim Beam would ditch the wooden display box for something cheaper (like Blanton’s or Bulleit now does). That would help lower the price I think.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
You can’t go wrong with Maker’s 46. It’s night & day different to standard Marker’s Mark (which is my least favorite bourbon). Usually can be found for $35. I’d say for $35 and under its near the top of my list, considering Henry McKenna BiB is now $38 lol

Yea I like Maker’s 46 I just forget about it because, like you, I’m not a fan or regular Maker’s. For me the regular Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, & Maker’s Mark are for mixing with coke or something, not drinking straight. Gentlemen Jack, Maker’s 46, Wild Turkey 101, & rare breed are pretty good straight.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I’m open to suggestions for my next purchase if you got any in that price range. Normally Wild turkey 101 is my go to, but I was in the mood for something different so I settled on this one. I also like Bulliet, Tin Cup, & Knob Creek. Still would like to find a few others that I like around that price.
My value bourbons include Virgin 101 $13, Elijah Craig Sm Batch $28, Eagle Rare $33, H McKenna 10 $33, Russels Reserve 10 yr $32, 4Roses Sm Batch $28, 4Roses SiB $38, Buffalo Trace $25. Makers 46 is hit and miss for me. Some days it's good, others it's bad...

Those prices are normal $ for my area. Sometimes I see higher, sometimes lower...

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
My value bourbons include Virgin 101 $13, Elijah Craig Sm Batch $28, Eagle Rare $33, H McKenna 10 $33, Russels Reserve 10 yr $32, 4Roses Sm Batch $28, 4Roses SiB $38, Buffalo Trace $25. Makers 46 is hit and miss for me. Some days it's good, others it's bad...

Those prices are normal $ for my area. Sometimes I see higher, sometimes lower...
I’ve had the four roses small batch, Buffalo trace, & Elijah Craig before. I remember liking them but don’t remember details. I’ll have to revisit them soon. The Eagle Rare seems to get mentioned a good bit too. I think I’ll try it next.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I didn't realize something as mainstream as Maker's 46 could possibly be a "hit or miss" bourbon. Doesn't Maker's Mark have a propitiatory system for producing a standard (or close to it, taste profile? This would of course be the opposite end of the spectrum like Evan Williams Single Barrel, which sees different taste profiles from batch to batch, sometimes being pretty sizable.
This might sound like blasphemy here but I am not a fan of the standard Buffalo Trace. I was expecting a lot more when I bought my bottle, considering how much it's raved about. Maybe one day I will return to it

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Has anyone ever tried this one before? The price point ain’t bad either

I’ve had a sample of it a coworker shared with me. It’s good and I would consider picking up a bottle if you like port finished bourbons. However it is pretty sweet. In my opinion (and from what I can remember) it much more sweet than Highwest MWND and more of a pronounced port finish than Angel’s Envy.

If you like port finishes or are curious about how that can impact a bourbon, I’d say pick it up. But if you don’t like a sweeter bourbon or only want the traditional bourbon notes, you may not dig this one as much.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I didn’t sang a picture while pouring this glass, but sipping on this Makers Mark Private Select I grabbed today. I was able to sample some of the private barrel picks in store and enjoyed this one, but its even better as a full pour. Absolutely loving this.

The stave selections and barrel proofing do amazing things to the standard Maker’s Mark, and have made this one of my favorite private barrel offerings out there. If you see one of these out there and we’re going to pass it up due to regular Makers being pretty boring, I’d highly recommend thinking twice. The ability to sample definitely helps though, as store I bought these from had two Makers private picks and while I really liked this one, the other wasn’t as much in my preferred flavor profile. At $69.99 this definitely isn’t cheap, but one pour in and I already think I’d buy another bottle.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I didn't realize something as mainstream as Maker's 46 could possibly be a "hit or miss" bourbon. Doesn't Maker's Mark have a propitiatory system for producing a standard (or close to it, taste profile? This would of course be the opposite end of the spectrum like Evan Williams Single Barrel, which sees different taste profiles from batch to batch, sometimes being pretty sizable.
This might sound like blasphemy here but I am not a fan of the standard Buffalo Trace. I was expecting a lot more when I bought my bottle, considering how much it's raved about. Maybe one day I will return to it
It's not variation in the bourbon, it's my palate. I've had numerous pours that have a nice, pronounced oakyness that really hits the spot. I've also had pours that have a musty taste, like driftwood, that's a turn off. All pours were the same bottle. Last time I tasted the musty flavor, I poured the last 1/4 bottle into the Makers handle I keep in the bar for mixing. I'm sure my BIL will dispose of it for me over Christmas.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not variation in the bourbon, it's my palate. I've had numerous pours that have a nice, pronounced oakyness that really hits the spot. I've also had pours that have a musty taste, like driftwood, that's a turn off. All pours were the same bottle. Last time I tasted the musty flavor, I poured the last 1/4 bottle into the Makers handle I keep in the bar for mixing. I'm sure my BIL will dispose of it for me over Christmas.
Lol I hear what you’re saying now.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
To me... I wish I bought basil Hayden's for the same price. Oh well, need something to drink while rolling.

Anyone grab the BH 10 year release yet?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I've passed a couple times on it. At 80 proof, it just doesn't trip my trigger. And at nearly twice the price for only 2 more years of aging, I can't do it... I'm sure its good, just not sure its $65 good...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me... I wish I bought basil Hayden's for the same price. Oh well, need something to drink while rolling.

Anyone grab the BH 10 year release yet?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Basil Hayden punches way above its weight class for me, even with all my exposure to Barrel Proof. My best friend gives it to me as a Birthday/Christmas gift for the last 3 years, so I have had quite an exposure to it along my bourbon journey. I'd say it drinks a lot like the average 94 proof and has some pretty nice depth to it. I'm looking forward to trying out their Dark Rye, as it has gotten some pretty good reviews from my #1 Bourbon Reviewer, among others.

http://breakingbourbon.com/basil-haydens-dark-rye.html

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
$65 - $70 would be an improvement here in NJ. I see it regularly for $85, which I don’t think is worth it. I wish Jim Beam would ditch the wooden display box for something cheaper (like Blanton’s or Bulleit now does). That would help lower the price I think.

Sure, I hear that and agree with the packaging remark.

Even at $70, I'm still just put off only because I KNOW it's not any different than it was before. Now you're charging 50%-75% more? No thanks. Love the stuff, but it's probably more out of principal.