What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just got an email from the new manager at my old go-to store. He just got a bottle of the Willett Family Estate 4 year Rye. I ended up passing. The only problem was their distributor raised the price from $38.99 to now $50.99. I still think it’s worth that price but my budget for the month has been spent already for whiskey. I still think it’s worth $50 as it is probably the best Rye I’ve ever had. Who knows that might change with this Sazerac, although which one is easier to find since both are allocated. Rittenhouse comes 2nd though, and that Is still readily available and $28

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Just got an email from the new manager at my old go-to store. He just got a bottle of the Willett Family Estate 4 year Rye. I ended up passing. The only problem was their distributor raised the price from $38.99 to now $50.99. I still think it’s worth that price but my budget for the month has been spent already for whiskey. I still think it’s worth $50 as it is probably the best Rye I’ve ever had. Who knows that might change with this Sazerac, although which one is easier to find since both are allocated. Rittenhouse comes 2nd though, and that Is still readily available and $28

I have the Sazerac & Rittenhouse, I prefer the Rittenhouse, but my fave Rye is the regular 4yr Templeton.

Alright Bob & Boudie, how is that? I was eyeballing it yesterday and I've been curious for a minute

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@irratebass you can tell it's a higher proof (101) bourbon with a bit of alcohol bite on the palate. Orange overtones, balanced caramel. Nose is very nice and smooth. The finish starts out a bit astringent but as the whisky breathes it mellows out to citrus, caramel and maybe a hint of chocolate. Not bad for a $30+ bourbon.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
@irratebass you can tell it's a higher proof (101) bourbon with a bit of alcohol bite on the palate. Orange overtones, balanced caramel. Nose is very nice and smooth. The finish starts out a bit astringent but as the whisky breathes it mellows out to citrus, caramel and maybe a hint of chocolate. Not bad for a $30+ bourbon.
Sheeeit, sounds good to me, and the price is right.....thanks Boudie

btort

Bob
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
@irratebass @Boudie @btort
You may want to try it’s older brother at 115 proof as well. I personally have never tried them back to back but I do like some Noah’s Mill. :hungry:
View attachment 131204
I really love that one as well. I don't have any of it here in FL but I do have a bottle back in TX where I also have the Rowan's. I've blind tasted both of them with my son and we both preferred the Noah's Mill.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Once pours get over 100 proof I find the alcohol gets overwhelming. I think adding local spring water alters the liquor and I lose the blender's intent.

Going back to Kentucky for Mardi Gras and in addition to working on my "find" list I'm going to try and find some bottled Kentucky spring water. Curious how using the water the liquor is made with will affect the taste.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Once pours get over 100 proof I find the alcohol gets overwhelming. I think adding local spring water alters the liquor and I lose the blender's intent.

Going back to Kentucky for Mardi Gras and in addition to working on my "find" list I'm going to try and find some bottled Kentucky spring water. Curious how using the water the liquor is made with will affect the taste.
Measure the water in drops. A little can affect taste a lot. Once you figure out how much is optimal for a given brand, its easily duplicated...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sipping on some Weller tonight to ease the pain from a long work day... My buddy brought me back a 1.75 bottle back from Texas so we will go ahead and put the 750 bottle out of its misery... :)
View attachment 131205
A 1.75oz bottle of Weller? I had no idea such a beautiful thing existed. I actually had Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill back to back, in that order, and I must say that I highly enjoyed Noah's Mill the best. Deep chocolate notes and a long finish, it has one of the most unique bourbon profiles I have ever tasted.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
How are you liking this one? I nearly bought a bottle had I not found that Sazerac. How present is the Port characteristics?
I like it. It just a little more than subtle but not too much which I think works. Sometimes if things are too subtle you looking for flavors that aren’t there.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
A 1.75oz bottle of Weller? I had no idea such a beautiful thing existed. I actually had Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill back to back, in that order, and I must say that I highly enjoyed Noah's Mill the best. Deep chocolate notes and a long finish, it has one of the most unique bourbon profiles I have ever tasted.
Yes, Weller comes in lots of sizes...15501133924802865161322712799222.jpg
750, 1.0, 1.75