What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Once pours get over 100 proof I find the alcohol gets overwhelming. I think adding local spring water alters the liquor and I lose the blender's intent.

Going back to Kentucky for Mardi Gras and in addition to working on my "find" list I'm going to try and find some bottled Kentucky spring water. Curious how using the water the liquor is made with will affect the taste.
What type of glass are you using for the higher proofs? I personally use GlenCairn glasses for anything 100 and under. And I use Canadian whisky glasses for anything over 100 proof. I find that the wider mouth of the Canadian glass helps get rid of the overwhelming nose of alcohol and allows me to enjoy barrel proofs more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What type of glass are you using for the higher proofs? I personally use GlenCairn glasses for anything 100 and under. And I use Canadian whisky glasses for anything over 100 proof. I find that the wider mouth of the Canadian glass helps get rid of the overwhelming nose of alcohol and allows me to enjoy barrel proofs more.
That's a good point, I've been told that before and have simply fallen into the habit of using the same Glencairn glass all the time, never adjusting the glassware for the liquor. Sounds like my next tasting will be a higher proof whiskey with different glass types. Thanks for the reminder

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, Weller comes in lots of sizes...View attachment 131230
750, 1.0, 1.75
That's more Weller then I've ever seen in one place before. Getting a bottle here in NJ is pretty hard (at least the places I've been to), you gotta know the right people or be patient enough to wait the months it takes to acquire a bottle. I might have a good source right, as he said he can get me a bottle of any Weller (short of WLW), but this guy sucks at email and he's never at the store when I'm there. Luckily his selection is best in state, so while I wait I can earn some loyalty points for the BTAC.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

LOL I'm the opposite. I use a wide rocks glass for anything 100 proof or lower and a Glencairn for Barrel Proof, as the tulip shape helps block the alcohol from my nose when sipping. Plus I find that the glencairn is easier to aerate when nosing. I have used a Rocks Glass more over this past year, which is to say that before last January I never used one. So this year I will be experimenting with barrel proof in a rocks glass once I acquire one

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
@irratebass @Boudie @btort
You may want to try it’s older brother at 115 proof as well. I personally have never tried them back to back but I do like some Noah’s Mill. :hungry:
View attachment 131204
I like this one alot. I get lots of caramel notes from this one. Good finish on it too.
A 1.75oz bottle of Weller? I had no idea such a beautiful thing existed. I actually had Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill back to back, in that order, and I must say that I highly enjoyed Noah's Mill the best. Deep chocolate notes and a long finish, it has one of the most unique bourbon profiles I have ever tasted.
Thanks guys, I'm going to seek both of these out, is the Noah's Mill readily available?

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I have to remember to try this

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
LOL I'm the opposite. I use a wide rocks glass for anything 100 proof or lower and a Glencairn for Barrel Proof, as the tulip shape helps block the alcohol from my nose when sipping. Plus I find that the glencairn is easier to aerate when nosing. I have used a Rocks Glass more over this past year, which is to say that before last January I never used one. So this year I will be experimenting with barrel proof in a rocks glass once I acquire one
Interesting!!

Certainly a different point of view! For me personally it helps me actually nose the high proofs. Another case of different strokes for different folks!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
20190214_175536.jpg

Did notice the difference with the wider glass!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Sipping a little EH Taylor Rye tonight while grilling steaks and cooking dinner.

Who here is well versed in ryes? I tried a lot of them but it was several years ago, and mostly used in cocktails (which rye excels at). I'll sip a little Pikesville, Rit, KC Cask Strength on occasion, but curious what others are good sippers. Not big on the MGP rye as a sipper (Bulleit, etc, etc).

Edit: Not looking for a self-proclaimed expert, just "who drinks/prefers rye?" I know @Unpossible_1 does...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sipping a little EH Taylor Rye tonight while grilling steaks and cooking dinner.

Who here is well versed in ryes? I tried a lot of them but it was several years ago, and mostly used in cocktails (which rye excels at). I'll sip a little Pikesville, Rit, KC Cask Strength on occasion, but curious what others are good sippers. Not big on the MGP rye as a sipper (Bulleit, etc, etc).

Edit: Not looking for a self-proclaimed expert, just "who drinks/prefers rye?" I know @Unpossible_1 does...
Far from an expert but I love Rye. Finding a good one to enjoy daily was tough. However I gotta say Rittenhouse has gotta be the best most readily available Rye on the shelf, and with the best price point. Rye’s I stay away from would be Bulliet and Woodford. Looking forward to trying Basil Hayden, Sazerac, and Clyde May ryes soon. Be trying the Sazerac this afternoon

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looking at my bottles I have to say Templeton, Sazerac and Redemption are readily available and on the less expensive side in my neck of the woods. I find Ryes are a great complement to spicy cigars, they overpower milder cigars. Still have a lot to try but if you're just getting into them there are some inexpensive ryes that are very drinkable.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Looking at my bottles I have to say Templeton, Sazerac and Redemption are readily available and on the less expensive side in my neck of the woods. I find Ryes are a great complement to spicy cigars, they overpower milder cigars. Still have a lot to try but if you're just getting into them there are some inexpensive ryes that are very drinkable.
LOVE Templeton, so far nothing has been able to touch it other than Angels Envy & Basil Haden, but even with those two I can only have 1, with Templeton I could drink more than 1, and daily......the AE & BH is more of an every once of month kind of thing......to me.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Far from an expert but I love Rye. Finding a good one to enjoy daily was tough. However I gotta say Rittenhouse has gotta be the best most readily available Rye on the shelf, and with the best price point. Rye’s I stay away from would be Bulliet and Woodford. Looking forward to trying Basil Hayden, Sazerac, and Clyde May ryes soon. Be trying the Sazerac this afternoon

Oooo Forgot about Rittenhouse, yes that is a good tasty Rye, so good I don't want to drink it so I still have some left