Today's Bourbon

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Greatly appreciated, @gurgalunas !
I think I've just decided to get a bottle of Whistle Pig, I've been hearing all kinds of good things the last couple weeks. Several options at my local to choose from.
If you are going for that same MGP 95% profile, make sure to read the label for Distilled in IN. WP also sources from other places, including Canada.

The discussion of "why pay more for the same thing" definitely comes into play when it comes to sourced whiskey. Compare your options by doing a little homework. If all are sourced from the the same place, same age, etc, why spend $60 when you can spend $25?... WhistlePig is one that really inflates the prices. They are the poster-child for sourcing whiskey and marking it up, sometimes after finishing to add value. Not saying you shouldn't buy it, just educate yourself on what it is you're getting into...

Again, if trying to find that same spice you experienced before, try to match the details. Look for MGP 95%, aged 2-2.5 yrs. Brands I know meet those specs that jump to mind are the JE Pepper, Redemption (entry level). I know there's more... when you start aging longer, or finishing, or adding flavors (Templeton), the profile intentionally moves away from the boldness you tasted.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
If you are going for that same MGP 95% profile, make sure to read the label for Distilled in IN. WP also sources from other places, including Canada.

The discussion of "why pay more for the same thing" definitely comes into play when it comes to sourced whiskey. Compare your options by doing a little homework. If all are sourced from the the same place, same age, etc, why spend $60 when you can spend $25?... WhistlePig is one that really inflates the prices. They are the poster-child for sourcing whiskey and marking it up, sometimes after finishing to add value. Not saying you shouldn't buy it, just educate yourself on what it is you're getting into...

Again, if trying to find that same spice you experienced before, try to match the details. Look for MGP 95%, aged 2-2.5 yrs. Brands I know meet those specs that jump to mind are the JE Pepper, Redemption (entry level). I know there's more... when you start aging longer, or finishing, or adding flavors (Templeton), the profile intentionally moves away from the boldness you tasted.
I appreciate the help, I definitely need it. I saw the Redemption at my grocers today and almost bought it. Price point around $39? I will pick it up next trip.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I appreciate the help, I definitely need it. I saw the Redemption at my grocers today and almost bought it. Price point around $39? I will pick it up next trip.
They put out several bottles. I'd look close at the label to figure out which one, google it, then decide if it's the 2.5 yr you are looking for. I havent bought it in several years, but I'd expect high $20s to low $30s.

I do have a bottle of peppers in my bar. It's one that I'd try and find. It's a slap-you-in-the-face spicy rye. Lmk if you cant find it and I'll send a sample.
Check around, Both Redemption Rye and the Bourbon run between $21 and $27 down here.
This could be the right range for the entry level one...

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Bought this today. Know nothing about it but will be cracking it sometime this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to see that all the time, but never tried it. Good to see the age statement on it, wasnt there in the past.
Nice to hear that. I’ll have to consider picking up a bottle once my Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is finished. This is the lowest price I could source by me

Those prices look good to me! All of their regular 3 are good. Choose based on your preferred proof.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to see that all the time, but never tried it. Good to see the age statement on it, wasnt there in the past.
Those prices look good to me! All of their regular 3 are good. Choose based on your preferred proof.
Lol you already have a good idea of what my preferred proof is, I got Full Proof and BiB in mind for sure.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
A few pours tonight while having some family over for Mother’s Day. My dad brought over the Jeffersons Reserve and BT. He wasn’t a bourbon fan until I got him into it over the past year or so. Now he really enjoys it and will call me up when he finds interesting bottles like the Makers Private Select to see if I want one.

This is the second Maker’s Private select bottle I’ve owned (but with different stages) and again really like it. The Jeffersons “pick” is bottled for the county since they control liquor sale, but in pretty sure they don’t actually taste the barrels but rather just get a barrel just for them. The JR was good, but was my least favorite of the three. The BT pick from Perfect Pour was awesome. Very creamy feel that I haven’t had in other BT bottles.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Went to my cousin's for MD, thought about picking up some bourbon, but I've brought some the last few times I've been there, and he doesn't really drink bourbon often....so I figured there would be a few choices there.

Apparently they took it all to the Kentucky Derby. So I drank Jamesons, could be worse.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone see or have this yet? 24 years old Rye and Barrel Proof is my kinda language

Also my shop just added this to their collection. I shared this unique idea with the board a couple of weeks ago. Price doesn’t look too bad either, was expecting it to go for more.