What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Anyone see or have this yet? 24 years old Rye and Barrel Proof is my kinda language

Also my shop just added this to their collection. I shared this unique idea with the board a couple of weeks ago. Price doesn’t look too bad either, was expecting it to go for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean 24 months? I’ve heard good things but not gonna drop a Benji for a 2 year old rye.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You mean 24 months? I’ve heard good things but not gonna drop a Benji for a 2 year old rye.

:shame: HAHA I completely missed the "months" on the label. I looked real quick and saw 24 and just assumed it was years, especially considering the price. Why not just say 2 years? That's like a mother saying their child is 13 months old, instead of saying a year and one month. 13 months just sounds better I guess.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Stopped by the shops last week and made the remark that I think I've already bought or simply tasted everything rated "good" or better and inexpensive. Looks like the next step is the $80+ stuff. He replied, "it can be an expensive hobby".

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 135670

Enjoyed the Blanton's a lot more. The Evan Williams had very little nose and I tried hard to find the flavors on the palate
Glad the Blanton's was enjoyable. I still remember the first time I had back in 2015. I hear Evan Williams Vintage Single Barrel is hit or miss. Some years it's exceptional and others (like my 2008), it's forgettable

How was that FSG btw? Was thinking about picking up a 5 pack sometime?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Glad the Blanton's was enjoyable. I still remember the first time I had back in 2015. I hear Evan Williams Vintage Single Barrel is hit or miss. Some years it's exceptional and others (like my 2008), it's forgettable

How was that FSG btw? Was thinking about picking up a 5 pack sometime?
I'm a big fan of the FSG but this one was really flakey and a bit messy. Flavors where good, it burned evenly and stayed lit without relights.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Anyone see or have this yet? 24 years old Rye and Barrel Proof is my kinda language

Also my shop just added this to their collection. I shared this unique idea with the board a couple of weeks ago. Price doesn’t look too bad either, was expecting it to go for more.

The Peerless is really well considered in the distilling world. Its unique in that it's a sweet mash whiskey. Sour mash is when they reserve some of the fermented mash to kick start the next batch. Sweet mash starts from scratch with each batch, which adds some variability, but also some interest from batch to batch...

Rye doesnt need nearly as long to age as bourbon, so a two year eye is pretty normal. Paying $130 for it? That's up to you... I'd try and find a sample somewhere if you're concerned.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Peerless is really well considered in the distilling world. Its unique in that it's a sweet mash whiskey. Sour mash is when they reserve some of the fermented mash to kick start the next batch. Sweet mash starts from scratch with each batch, which adds some variability, but also some interest from batch to batch...

Rye doesnt need nearly as long to age as bourbon, so a two year eye is pretty normal. Paying $130 for it? That's up to you... I'd try and find a sample somewhere if you're concerned.
I'm not too concerned, especially with that unapologetic price. It might blow me away but I can get that with Rittenhouse Rye and at only $27. I will however be on the lookout for a sample though. Anything is worth a try

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
To confirm my preference for this one!

71900075-498D-400D-BC9A-7211103F8193.jpeg

Edit: So trying this a second time and being able to compare it to the BH, I can definitely feel the burn with this one as well, but it still goes down smoother with a better flavor profile. I’m excited to try something else. Suggestions on what my third purchase should be?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may not be Bourbon but it’s replacing one, my cigar lounge hooch. It’s by far my favorite Scotch, even more so than the Auchentoshan American Oak.

I would totally buy more of this. Might be one of the best bourbons I’ve tried in the $30 price bracket

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
To confirm my preference for this one!

View attachment 135741

Edit: So trying this a second time and being able to compare it to the BH, I can definitely feel the burn with this one as well, but it still goes down smoother with a better flavor profile. I’m excited to try something else. Suggestions on what my third purchase should be?
And he steps off the ledge, wind whistling past, and accelerates until he reaches terminal speed...

Wow, that's a hard question to answer. Wish I knew what was available at your local LS... maybe try to find an Eagle Rare, same mashbill as BT but aged 10 years. Elijah Craig would be lateral move on the shelf from BT, but from a different distillery. 4roses Small Batch. WT101 or Russels Reserve 10 yr. All those should be similar proofs.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
And the neat thing about buying higher proof whiskey is you can always add water. When deciding between proofs, if price is a concern, remember that if a 120 proof bourbon is less then 150% the cost of an 80 proof bourbon it's cheaper to buy the 120 proof and add water.
also, i get a bit nerdy and dilute higher proofs to lower proofs just to try to find the best expression of flavors. Simple math.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And the neat thing about buying higher proof whiskey is you can always add water. When deciding between proofs, if price is a concern, remember that if a 120 proof bourbon is less then 150% the cost of an 80 proof bourbon it's cheaper to buy the 120 proof and add water.
also, i get a bit nerdy and dilute higher proofs to lower proofs just to try to find the best expression of flavors. Simple math.
Speaking of 120 Proof, I have this on my radar to replace my Elijah Craig Barrel Proof when it’s near finished. This was probably one of my biggest surprises so far in Bourbon, even more so that Breaking Bourbon gave it 4/5 barrels

I found it for $42.99

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/knob-creek-single-barrel-bourbon