What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And he steps off the ledge, wind whistling past, and accelerates until he reaches terminal speed...

Wow, that's a hard question to answer. Wish I knew what was available at your local LS... maybe try to find an Eagle Rare, same mashbill as BT but aged 10 years. Elijah Craig would be lateral move on the shelf from BT, but from a different distillery. 4roses Small Batch. WT101 or Russels Reserve 10 yr. All those should be similar proofs.
Between the two I definitely liked Eagle Rare 10 more, but it’s still far from my favorite bourbon. It was actually my 2nd Bourbon I’ve ever had. Finish was bold but short. Buffalo Trace was on the lower spectrum for me. Had a certain characteristic that I wasn’t able to put my finger on. I’ll revisit it one day to see if that’s changed. I had a chance to try Eagle Rare 10 again and it only confirmed my original feelings. Great orange peel notes, but finish was hot and quick. Both are great for their price point though, and when it’s time to start building my collection, I definitely will include them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm confused by the title of the offering "Family selection single barrel" is that another way of saying Barrel Select?
Yeah, Joe Canal's is a chain of independently operated stores, so each group of stores is called a "Family". It's easier to do it this way instead of listing each store on the limited space of the sticker lol

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
And he steps off the ledge, wind whistling past, and accelerates until he reaches terminal speed...

Wow, that's a hard question to answer. Wish I knew what was available at your local LS... maybe try to find an Eagle Rare, same mashbill as BT but aged 10 years. Elijah Craig would be lateral move on the shelf from BT, but from a different distillery. 4roses Small Batch. WT101 or Russels Reserve 10 yr. All those should be similar proofs.
Yeah, I know that’s a question begging for a million different answers. Still fun to hear what all the experienced drinkers think is a good next move. I’m thinking either the Small Batch Elijah Craig or Four Roses is a good way to go. Both under $30 here, so the price is right. I’d like to try the Eagle Rare as well, but I figure I’ll try a different distillery this time around. Looks like I’ll be needing to find a dedicated spot in the house to place all my bottles, lol.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I know that’s a question begging for a million different answers. Still fun to hear what all the experienced drinkers think is a good next move. I’m thinking either the Small Batch Elijah Craig or Four Roses is a good way to go. Both under $30 here, so the price is right. I’d like to try the Eagle Rare as well, but I figure I’ll try a different distillery this time around. Looks like I’ll be needing to find a dedicated spot in the house to place all my bottles, lol.
The Elijah Craig Small Batch might be a Little too bold for your current palate, given that Basil Hayden’s was. I would say try 4 Roses Small Batch or Woodford Reserve Distillery Select.
Old Forester 86 isn’t bad either, if you like cherry notes.

Last edited:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
If you are going for that same MGP 95% profile, make sure to read the label for Distilled in IN. WP also sources from other places, including Canada.

The discussion of "why pay more for the same thing" definitely comes into play when it comes to sourced whiskey. Compare your options by doing a little homework. If all are sourced from the the same place, same age, etc, why spend $60 when you can spend $25?... WhistlePig is one that really inflates the prices. They are the poster-child for sourcing whiskey and marking it up, sometimes after finishing to add value. Not saying you shouldn't buy it, just educate yourself on what it is you're getting into...

Again, if trying to find that same spice you experienced before, try to match the details. Look for MGP 95%, aged 2-2.5 yrs. Brands I know meet those specs that jump to mind are the JE Pepper, Redemption (entry level). I know there's more... when you start aging longer, or finishing, or adding flavors (Templeton), the profile intentionally moves away from the boldness you tasted.
Picked up a bottle of the Redemption today, grocery store had it for $29. Looking forward to trying it this weekend, it is distilled in Indiana. Thank you for the knowledge.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Went with a MM PS tonight as well man.
Finally put my finger on a good comparison, got a chili chocolate note going. Love it.

Nice man. I know we are past due, but we need to get together for a smoke and maybe compare the two MM Private Selects to see how different they are based on the staves.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0

Opened the Redemption tonight. Nice smooth rye with a little heat. No cayenne, but I still enjoyed it and will put it in the current rotation.
Dammit, @icehog3 , now you got me thinking about that cayenne note. My hangover tomorrow will be your fault...

First up, Bulleit Rye. Known to be MGP. Its grassy to me. Some spice, but bakers spice, cloves, more that cayenne. Guessing a bit more age than you want.

I'll rule out and skip EH Taylor Rye and baby Saz, as both are Buffalo Trace, and Kentucky style rye, with near minimum % rye mashbill. Tried before, and spice isnt a component.

I'll open a Old Forrester Rye I just bought, more out of curiosity, but its Kentucky style AFAIK. Not as grassy as the 95% Bulleit, but more spice. Not sure, after one sip, if it's the 100 proof, or the flavor. Ok, sip number two finishes the pour. Wow. Pour some more... this is as good as I'd heard... Slight grassy taste, enough to let you know it's a rye, but plenty of back-of-tongue spice that lingers. Baking spice that burns. Damn, great pour... do this again...

Basil Haydens rye, the first one (not finished) is expected to be KY style too. Rye must be 51%+ rye mash by law, and KY style is usually pretty close to that minimum. It gives more room for corn to sweeten the flavor. And make it more bourbon-like. The BH, on first impression is a bad version of that... take rye, make it more bourbon-like, but dont age it enough. A little grassy, spicy rye, but its overpowered by the youthful corn note. I dont like young bourbon, and rye is even lower on the list. I'll finish the glass, but will feed the rest to @GoBison and @Pennywise827 for the DRP. Should be appropriate with what we will be smoking...

Skip the Knob Creek Barrel proof rye. It's awesome. 119.6 proof, but drinks like bourbon.

James E. Pepper Rye is MGP "at least 2 years old" and it is a brash version of the 95% rye. I always liked both HWDR and JEP 1776 rye as a mixer back when I cocktailed in my early days, so I'd guess the 1776 is your best guess to replicate. @icehog, you need this one. Its your best chance to relive the spice you enjoyed. The Old Forester is a great one too. Should be close to your target, and if a miss, is still awesome to me. I'd put it next to the KC in my book, unique but awesome...15581570300287481991468539634758.jpg

Last edited:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Dammit, @icehog3 , now you got me thinking about that cayenne note. My hangover tomorrow will be your fault...

First up, Bulleit Rye. Known to be MGP. Its grassy to me. Some spice, but bakers spice, cloves, more that cayenne. Guessing a bit more age than you want.

I'll rule out and skip EH Taylor Rye and baby Saz, as both are Buffalo Trace, and Kentucky style rye, with near minimum % rye mashbill. Tried before, and spice isnt a component.

I'll open a Old Forrester Rye I just bought, more out of curiosity, but its Kentucky style AFAIK. Not as grassy as the 95% Bulleit, but more spice. Not sure, after one sip, if it's the 100 proof, or the flavor. Ok, sip number two finishes the pour. Wow. Pour some more... this is as good as I'd heard... Slight grassy taste, enough to let you know it's a rye, but plenty of back-of-tongue spice that lingers. Baking spice that burns. Damn, great pour... do this again...

Basil Haydens rye, the first one (not finished) is expected to be KY style too. Rye must be 51%+ rye mash by law, and KY style is usually pretty close to that minimum. It gives more room for corn to sweeten the flavor. And make it more bourbon-like. The BH, on first impression is a bad version of that... take rye, make it more bourbon-like, but dont age it enough. A little grassy, spicy rye, but its overpowered by the youthful corn note. I dont like young bourbon, and rye is even lower on the list. I'll finish the glass, but will feed the rest to @GoBison and @Pennywise827 for the DRP. Should be appropriate with what we will be smoking...

Skip the Knob Creek Barrel proof rye. It's awesome. 119.6 proof, but drinks like bourbon.

James E. Pepper Rye is MGP "at least 2 years old" and it is a brash version of the 95% rye. I always liked both HWDR and JEP 1776 rye as a mixer back when I cocktailed in my early days, so I'd guess the 1776 is your best guess to replicate. @icehog, you need this one. Its your best chance to relive the spice you enjoyed. The Old Forester is a great one too. Should be close to your target, and if a miss, is still awesome to me. I'd put it next to the KC in my book, unique but awesome...View attachment 135823
I truly appreciate the drinking you did on my behalf! :D
Looks like 1776 and OF are next up on the shopping list....as you implied, even if I don't get that exact note I am looking for, I should have two more ryes that I'll enjoy. Thank you!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

James E. Pepper Rye is MGP "at least 2 years old" and it is a brash version of the 95% rye. I always liked both HWDR and JEP 1776 rye as a mixer back when I cocktailed in my early days, so I'd guess the 1776 is your best guess to replicate. @icehog, you need this one. Its your best chance to relive the spice you enjoyed. The Old Forester is a great one too. Should be close to your target, and if a miss, is still awesome to me. I'd put it next to the KC in my book, unique but awesome...View attachment 135823
This new interface is trippy. Impressive lineup. Can you elaborate more on the Knob Creek Cask Strength? I heard it drinks kinda muted, especially for its proof. I forget why isn't Rittenhouse in your lineup, that stuff is pretty solid (at least for me), and for a bit more then Bulleit Rye, it's tough to beat.

Review I'm basing my claims on (the channel I follow). They've been spot on with many things I've tried, batting close to 1000

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
This new interface is trippy. Impressive lineup. Can you elaborate more on the Knob Creek Cask Strength? I heard it drinks kinda muted, especially for its proof. I forget why isn't Rittenhouse in your lineup, that stuff is pretty solid (at least for me), and for a bit more then Bulleit Rye, it's tough to beat.

Review I'm basing my claims on (the channel I follow). They've been spot on with many things I've tried, batting close to 1000

I think the KC CS drinks like a spicy, high-rye bourbon. If looking for a slap in the face, lots of spice, grassy rye, it's not that by a long shot. That's probably why l like it. Give me the spice, but hold the grass...

Rit and its older brother Pikesville are absent because I drank them all. Both are good, with Pikesville being in the same class as the KC CS. Rit is a small step below.

I'll restock the Rit or Pikesville once I clear out some of these other ryes. Too many I'm not drinking through taking up space on the shelf.