What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just out of curiosity, since I'm a newb to the whole Bourbon world, how do you find Pappy Van Winkle Bourbons at a decent price? Everything here in California is $$$$$!
I have developed a very strong relationship with my liquor store and I am always on the list for Van Winkle bourbons. I purchase a lot of stuff there and they try to take care of their good customers. That being said Van Winkle is always allocated. My store only got a few bottles the last allocation and all of it was Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old. The price set by the distributor was $65. So it is never cheap that's for sure. I will tell you that it is all made at Buffalo Trace and they have only ONE wheated mashbill that is used for Old Weller Antique, WL Weller 12, William Larue Weller from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, Weller Special Reserve and all of the Van Winkle line. It's all the SAME mashbill. It's just a matter of barrel selection that makes the difference. If you can get Weller 12 or Old Weller Antique you won't be missing much. Of course they get hard to find very once in a while (like right now) but they will be back. The legend of the Van Winkle came about because there was a huge amount of whiskey owned by the Van Winkle family after the sell of the old Steitzel-Weller distillery and they bottled and sold it. It got huge press reviews and became a legend. There is none of that old whiskey left. 99% of all the whiskey in a Van Winkle bottle is coming from Buffalo Trace.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I have developed a very strong relationship with my liquor store and I am always on the list for Van Winkle bourbons. I purchase a lot of stuff there and they try to take care of their good customers. That being said Van Winkle is always allocated. My store only got a few bottles the last allocation and all of it was Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old. The price set by the distributor was $65. So it is never cheap that's for sure. I will tell you that it is all made at Buffalo Trace and they have only ONE wheated mashbill that is used for Old Weller Antique, WL Weller 12, William Larue Weller from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, Weller Special Reserve and all of the Van Winkle line. It's all the SAME mashbill. It's just a matter of barrel selection that makes the difference. If you can get Weller 12 or Old Weller Antique you won't be missing much. Of course they get hard to find very once in a while (like right now) but they will be back. The legend of the Van Winkle came about because there was a huge amount of whiskey owned by the Van Winkle family after the sell of the old Steitzel-Weller distillery and they bottled and sold it. It got huge press reviews and became a legend. There is none of that old whiskey left. 99% of all the whiskey in a Van Winkle bottle is coming from Buffalo Trace.
Its amazing what a particular barrel can do to a whisky - I second this statement in looking for Weller (the 12year is near impossible to find lately)

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thank you very much, @Tennessee Dave. That is some fine and informative advice.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I need to become friends with @Tennessee Dave liquor guy. Lot of good stuff you're drinking that's flat out unavailable in Chicago unless you have a horseshoe up your ass.
I can not stress enough the importance of a strong relationship with your store's manager. I buy everything in the way of wine and liquor there. They do not have the cheapest prices around. Most everything cost $2-$3 collars per item more but they know they are my store and that loyalty is reciprocated. Here is a little eye candy. They are out there.
IMG_3381.jpg

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I can not stress enough the importance of a strong relationship with your store's manager.
Agreed 100% and the rarer bottles I am able to get I do through this relationship. The problem is that I got into the game too late and there's more than a few folks ahead of me with this type of relationships. When a store only gets 1-2 unicorns in I'm to far down the list to have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I can not stress enough the importance of a strong relationship with your store's manager. I buy everything in the way of wine and liquor there. They do not have the cheapest prices around. Most everything cost $2-$3 collars per item more but they know they are my store and that loyalty is reciprocated. Here is a little eye candy. They are out there.
View attachment 82475
OMG!!

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Agreed 100% and the rarer bottles I am able to get I do through this relationship. The problem is that I got into the game too late and there's more than a few folks ahead of me with this type of relationships. When a store only gets 1-2 unicorns in I'm to far down the list to have a chance.

I feel this PAIN !!!

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I'm convinced that the bourbon craze isn't going to end anytime soon, so I'll make due with the "readily" (at the moment) available ones that I have to enjoy. I've tried Pappy and some of the BTAC before (thx @Dustinspo) and although very very good, there are a lot of other good available ones out there that get less hype. Sucks though because EH Taylor and regular BT are getting to be htf too.

My cabinet looks like:

- KK33

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm convinced that the bourbon craze isn't going to end anytime soon, so I'll make due with the "readily" (at the moment) available ones that I have to enjoy. I've tried Pappy and some of the BTAC before (thx @Dustinspo) and although very very good, there are a lot of other good available ones out there that get less hype. Sucks though because EH Taylor and regular BT are getting to be htf too.

My cabinet looks like:

- KK33
Beautiful collection!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm convinced that the bourbon craze isn't going to end anytime soon, so I'll make due with the "readily" (at the moment) available ones that I have to. enjoy
I'm not a hipster, and have no problem with hipsters--but why do they f***ing love Bourbon?!?!? Lol! They've made Bourbon fashionable again after 60 years of relative oblivion. It must have something to do with the whole 19th Century retro-style thing. :)

I've also heard that the new wealthy middle class in China loves Bourbon too and is buying up all of it.

The Chinese and Hipsters! Go figure.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

My cabinet looks like:

That's a beautiful sight brother!

- KK33