What's new

Today's Bourbon

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Believe it or not I am having a brand new to me bourbon tonight. I have never read many good reviews of it but I was out and do some restocking of some daily drinkers and saw a small "airline" size bottle and picked it up as well. I am sure you will recognize it. Thought I would give it a try. Simple, not at all complex, sweet corn, a touch of vanilla, a bit of nuttiness, clean and of course at 80 proof short finish. I was pleasantly surprised given all the negative I had heard about this. Can you spot it among today's pickup?
View attachment 82645
I am going to guess Evan Williams. I don't believe I've had it either. I am going to look for that Bernheim when I'm out and about because wheaters have been tasty.

- KK33

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I am going to guess Evan Williams. I don't believe I've had it either. I am going to look for that Bernheim when I'm out and about because wheaters have been tasty.

- KK33
Actually it was the Jim Beam White. In all these years I had never tasted it until last night.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Had a flight of these last night:

Eagle Rare 17yr, 2013
Sazerac 18yr rye, 2012
Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye, 2012
William Larue Weller, 2012
George T. Stagg, 2013

Can't post that and not tell us which you liked best...

Comparatively, I slummed it with some EC12 and SAOS 7. Both were great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can't post that and not tell us which you liked best...
Well, I would never pretend to be an expert, but the Larue Weller--after nosing it for 15 minutes--makes me pray that there is a bourbon distillery in Heaven. It's 128 proof and the long finish lasted for fifteen minutes. Wifey wanted to spoil me on Friday night. Not sure I deserve it, though. ;)

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
BTW, @Tennessee Dave, the bartender was a former sales rep for Buffalo Trace distillery. And he concurs with you 100%, Weller Reserve or Weller Antique are identical to any of the Pappy bourbons, and in blind tastings experts have trouble distinguishing them. So thanks again for the sage advice.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
Well, I would never pretend to be an expert, but the Larue Weller--after nosing it for 15 minutes--makes me pray that there is a bourbon distillery in Heaven. It's 128 proof and the long finish lasted for fifteen minutes. Wifey wanted to spoil me on Friday night. Not sure I deserve it, though. ;)
If there's not some bourbon I'd rather not go.

A little eagle rare for me tonight btw