What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked up the latest Booker's, Granny's Batch.

Your Booker’s collection is growing! How many bottles does this make it now? How did you like the first release of 2020? Was it as good as some of the other first year releases; namely Teresa’s and Tommy’s?

I’ve been sipping on my Proper No. Twelve these past few whiskey pours. Trying to use this time to go through some of my lesser likable whiskies to make room for new bottles and also maybe find some new appreciation for them. Although Proper No. Twelve just doesn’t really do anything for me. Still wondering why i even bought the bottle, as I’ve sampled it several times prior to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
@BourbonBinder , I've never tried the Proper No.12, waiting to see it on the bar at a BBQ or herf. Only Irish whiskey I've been hitting semi-regularly is my Jameson 18 Year, which I think is delicious....but oh those prices have gone up since I bought this bottle.

I've only got 4 different Booker's... Tommy's, Teresa's (2 bottles), Country Ham and Granny's. I haven't cracked the Granny's yet, maybe tonight. I have tried the other 2019 releases at my GF's bar, and I gotta say, I've never met a Booker's I didn't like. Ditto for the Little Book. If I had to pick one bourbon for a deserted island , at this point it would likely be Booker's. Does this mean I am becoming a Booker's "fan boy"? :LOL:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@BourbonBinder , I've never tried the Proper No.12, waiting to see it on the bar at a BBQ or herf. Only Irish whiskey I've been hitting semi-regularly is my Jameson 18 Year, which I think is delicious....but oh those prices have gone up since I bought this bottle.

I've only got 4 different Booker's... Tommy's, Teresa's (2 bottles), Country Ham and Granny's. I haven't cracked the Granny's yet, maybe tonight. I have tried the other 2019 releases at my GF's bar, and I gotta say, I've never met a Booker's I didn't like. Ditto for the Little Book. If I had to pick one bourbon for a deserted island , at this point it would likely be Booker's. Does this mean I am becoming a Booker's "fan boy"?
It’s definitely not my favorite Irish, that honor goes to SLANE. I’ve owned two bottles of Redbreast, the 12 & Lustau, and while I enjoyed both, they’re priced above what I think they’re worth. I’d much rather invest it towards Bourbon/Rye. I might be with you on a “deserted island” bourbon. However it would have to be several years worth of releases, just to keep it interesting. That’s what I love about Booker’s; each one has a different profile despite a small variation of maturity & proof.

Speaking of Rye. I just couldn’t reach for the Proper No. Twelve two nights in a row. Trying to finish this so I can replace it with my favorite readily available Rye; Old Forester 100 Proof

Zesty orange peel coated with brown sugar & cinnamon

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

Couldn't wait so I cracked my Granny's Batch last night.

Obviously a neck pour so I'll reserve total judgement until after another pour or two.

First couple sips neat were a bit tame, with a pretty dry and short finish. A couple drops of water really improved both the flavor and the finish...seemed to actually have more good heat after the add.

Of the Booker's I've had, I'd say this most closely compares to Tommy's Batch. For my palate, not as good as the Country Ham or Teresa's Batch....but still better than 90% of everything else out there.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
@WhiteLightning , I'd love to hear your take on the Noah's and KO Rye.
IMO the Noah’s Mill has a raisiny taste to it, smooth and you can feel the alcohol in a good way. It’s a unique whiskey and it stands out compared to your standard bourbon.
The KO Batch 1 is super smooth and ends in rye spice. Super drinkable at 110 proof. Drinks like a lower ABV. Super approachable.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 148607
Next up. Apparently it’s rye kind of day
That’s my favorite Rye and in my top 5 of all time. I’ve had two bottles so far. It’s allocated near me, so I usually only have a couple of opportunities a year to buy. That Pikesville Rye is also really good and drinks at its proof. I’ve only had a sample of it though, one of those Christmas gift sets. You’re spot on with Noah’s Mill. It’s definitely high on my list and probably in my top 10. Although I get a good dose of dark chocolate from it.

Note the change in volume of my 2017 GTS

106.6 Proof - 2018 Release

112.8 Proof - 2019 Release

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
That’s my favorite Rye and in my top 5 of all time. I’ve had two bottles so far. It’s allocated near me, so I usually only have a couple of opportunities a year to buy. That Pikesville Rye is also really good and drinks at its proof. I’ve only had a sample of it though, one of those Christmas gift sets. You’re spot on with Noah’s Mill. It’s definitely high on my list and probably in my top 10. Although I get a good dose of dark chocolate from it.

Note the change in volume of my 2017 GTS

106.6 Proof - 2018 Release

112.8 Proof - 2019 Release

I can see how you get chocolate flavor. I’m in NC and we don’t get any Willett product here. I went all the way to KY to get it at the distillery. Wish I bought more.
Nice job working on that GTS!