What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Also did my first ever drain pour yesterday with about 2/3rds of a bottle of Basil Hayden Dark Rye finding the sewer. Tried it one last time....if I want port flavor, I'll drink port.
I have one of those floating around the cabinet. Same bottle. I used it to good effect for hot toddies when I had a cold in January, but that's the limit of its usefulness.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last night while finishing John Wick 2 and catching up on Better Call Saul. Well deserved after finally getting the damn squirrels out of my attic yesterday as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fellow John Wick and Better Call Saul fan. Today was a bit of a throwback for me with the 1990 movie “Navy SEALs”.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I think my love for high proof bourbons and ryes have ruined me for pours below 100 proof (with a few exceptions). This was a gift, it is smooth but just isn't doing it for me. It won't be replaced when done.

Also did my first ever drain pour yesterday with about 2/3rds of a bottle of Basil Hayden Dark Rye finding the sewer. Tried it one last time....if I want port flavor, I'll drink port.
Pouring stuff down the drain is almost never fun, especially whiskey. I haven’t done this yet, well there was that one time with Avion Tequila. No going back but for future sake would you consider giving my Infinity Bottle Project a try? It’s the best way to get rid of a whiskey you have no love for and also potentially improve it in the process.

I have three going at the moment. I used 2 ounces of my Proper No. Twelve for my Irish + Scotch Bottle. Had I not been so into these Infinity Bottle projects, I almost certainly would’ve given that bottle away. It’s one of my least favorite Irish Whiskies.

See anything familiar on the Bourbon and Rye Lists?

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Pouring stuff down the drain is almost never fun, especially whiskey. I haven’t done this yet, well there was that one time with Avion Tequila. No going back but for future sake would you consider giving my Infinity Bottle Project a try? It’s the best way to get rid of a whiskey you have no love for and also potentially improve it in the process.
I actually have an infinity bottle going, it has both straight and rye bourbons in it...but I don't put any finished bourbons in, I just don't want the port/rum/wine/ etc. flavors in there. It's an extra large decanter as well (36 oz).

See anything familiar on the Bourbon and Rye Lists?
Did you try the NR or Tommy's, or just put them in the Infinity bottle?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually have an infinity bottle going, it has both straight and rye bourbons in it...but I don't put any finished bourbons in, I just don't want the port/rum/wine/ etc. flavors in there. It's an extra large decanter as well (36 oz).

Did you try the NR or Tommy's, or just put them in the Infinity bottle?
Review upcoming. I only added a sip of each to the Infinity Bottle.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@icehog3 was very generous in sending me not one, but three whiskey samples to me. He had heard the call of me not trying any of New Riff’s profile, as it’s not readily available in my area as of yet, and answer the call he did. Included are New Riff Bottled in Bond, New Riff Single Barrel Rye and also a sample of Booker’s Tommy’s Batch. Thanks Brother!!! I promised I would scribble down some tasting notes so here they are.

This was my first whiskey after another voluntary 2 week hiatus. So I wanted to start things off right here.

1. New Riff Single Barrel Rye 15-5356

Proof: 112.4
Appearance In Glass: Caramel
Nose: Graham cracker, baking spices, brown sugar
Palate: A tornado of flavors; clove, grassy, herbal mint.
Finish: Loooong

Note the stickers on the bottles. There was a cue card included explaining which is which. This was a new one for me and I found it fun.

2. New Riff Bottled in Bond Bourbon

Proof: 100 (Duh)
Appearance In Glass: Copper
Nose: Some Booker’s peanut butter funkiness, vanilla, cigar box
Palate: Peppercorn bomb, peanut brittle, baking spices
Finish: Medium

3. Booker’s Tommy Batch vs Booker’s Teresa’s Batch Showdown

First time I have had two Booker’s lined up so I figured why not see how they match up in a duel:

Tommy’s Batch 2017-01
Proof: 128.5
Age Statement: 6 Years+4 Months+6 Days
Nose: Very potent & not for a beginner. Beam Funk, baking spices, tobacco
Palate: Viscous and oily. Waves of spices, vanilla extract, cigar box, peanut butter
Finish: Chewy and long

Teresa’s Batch 2019-01
Proof: 125.9
Age Statement: 6 Years+3 Months+1 Day
Nose: Peanut brittle, bakers dark chocolate, caramelized brown sugar
Palate: Bready, yeasty, Jif peanut butter, cigar box
Finish: Long with a surprise showing of yet even more funk on the backend.

Results: Tommy’s Batch was much more potent on the nosing. The palate of Teresa’s Batch was more nuanced with more viscosity. The Finish was all Teresa again, lasting longer despite less time in the barrel and a lower proof. However I don’t think you could go wrong with either, and I have yet to try a Booker’s I couldn’t finish.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@BourbonBinder , I'm glad you had fun with the samples! So were either of the New Riffs something you'll look to purchase in the future?
Definitely! Especially the Single Barrel Rye. It’s up there for sure among the best Ryes I’ve tried.

Speaking of Ryes. Uncorked this one finally. Flavors were muted at first but there’s something there, gonna see how it develops before writing it off.

Killed this bottle after 5 months. One less bottle in the collection, but I haven’t bought any bottles this month, so I am due. All this bourbon and rye and my break from all alcohol, had this one developing an unpleasant saltier taste then what I was use to with it.