What's new

Today's Bourbon

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As a newbie to high-proof bourbon, I learned the other day that they are capable of removing the finish on cheap Ikea wooden furniture when spilled. :oops: Therefore, I present to you gentlemen my logical solution: a bar mat on my nightstand. I don't know how long it'll be until the wife notices my new decor (or worse, the perma-stain that it only halfway conceals)...

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
High proof is where it's at, Travis. ;)

First pour was a bottle kill of Elijah Craig BP C920. A good bottle but probably my least favorite of the 3 2020 batches.

After that went to have a pour of Booker's (Dot's Batch, 15-02). The cork broke and a piece fell into the bottle. I decanted it into an empty vessel, and had my pour.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Been thinking about a bottle. What do you get out of it?
It's like...you can tell It's high-proof when you smell it and on the finish, but in between it has a LOT of the rum-like notes that I love. The caramel, butterscotch, vanilla type stuff. Super smooth then at the end it kinda bucks up and is like "don't forget I'm 120 proof, hoss" but in the best way possible. I STRONGLY recommend, especially at the price point.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Bourbon and nerdin'. That's how we roll.

I friggin LOVE this stuff. Tom, @icehog3 - you tried it? Sweet and smooth as butter.

View attachment 167461
I have not had any version of Wilderness Trail, Carlos. There are picks available locally, both store picks (Binny's, Garfield's, Antioch) and one of my local groups has a pick out as well. Group pick is 99 proof, and said it is soft on the palate, so I am guessing that pick is not for me.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I cracked my new Barrell Cask Strength single barrel pick from Total Wine and More in DFW. I finished a local pick that’s no longer available (and was delicious) so when I saw this one that was also 14 years and very similar proof, I figured it was worth it gamble.

I tempered my expectations a bit, as my other pic didn’t get really good until it had been open a while. Wow… this one was even better than that right out of the hopper. Probably paid 10-15 over what it retailed for, but we’ll worth the gamble.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have not had any version of Wilderness Trail, Carlos. There are picks available locally, both store picks (Binny's, Garfield's, Antioch) and one of my local groups has a pick out as well. Group pick is 99 proof, and said it is soft on the palate, so I am guessing that pick is not for me.
That's fair. It is most definitely soft on the palate. I've been having a pour of it as a change of pace in between high-proof stuff. Which, I gotta say, are my new favorites. I especially like nosing one of those suckers and getting that big ol' smack that says "Yup, this is well north of 100, dude. Prepare thyself." :D