What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Followed up with some CEHT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see a bottle of Port Finished Bowman in the background. What's your take on it? Normally like finished Whiskey?

I'm not usually big on finished stuff, but bought a bottle today for a fishing trip. I find finished HW stuff tastes good with a cigar... hoping I made a good choice.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I see a bottle of Port Finished Bowman in the background. What's your take on it? Normally like finished Whiskey?

I'm not usually big on finished stuff, but bought a bottle today for a fishing trip. I find finished HW stuff tastes good with a cigar... hoping I made a good choice.
I think this is only the 2nd bottle of a finished bourbon I have ever bought. The other was Angel’s envy but that was a few years back. It’s been a while but I think I def prefer the Bowman port finish to AE. I like it. The port characteristics are there, a little more than subtle but def not overpowering. Probably not something I’ll would drink every day but for a desert drink or if I want something different. Haven’t had with a cigar yet but I’m sure will work nicely.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All KC SiB is bottled at 120 proof, but I think that one was low 120s straight out of the barrel. One of the keys when doing barrel picks (samples are straight out of the barrel, not diluted) is to realize the effect of adding water at bottling. While they provide distillery water to dilute the samples to bottling proof, the less water added makes for better bourbon in the bottle (generally). Usually, several of the 3 choices are high 120s or low 130s at barrel proof. As long as the lower proof option tastes good to start with, there is less dilution of the flavor, mouthfeel, and other aspects of flavor, and the bottled product will be closer to the sample. You know exactly what you are getting...
Awesome! I was pretty close then, as I had no idea that the SiB was bottled at 120 proof. @erjaq can attest that I’m decent at guessing proofs, down to the decimal point even.

Thanks for sharing all that, I didn’t know that about Barrel Picks

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Have you guys heard about Crown Royal discontinuing Northern Harvest Rye? Was at one of the local stores yesterday and was told by the owner. He bought a bunch (big chain store and big bunch of) and had it on sale for $15 a bottle so picked up a couple. Never tried it, the reviews are decent. Just a heads up if anyone is a fan.