Rating - 100%
29   0   0

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
This is a good place to start with bottom shelf bourbons. I think the closest thing I’ve had to “bottom shelf” bourbon is OGD Bonded and Bulleit, so yeah not much experience to say the least.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/12/13-of-the-best-bottom-shelf-cheap-bourbons-blind-t.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want to try the Barton but my county stores only have the 1.75. Granted it’s only $19.99 but don’t want to buy a half gal to try it. Been meaning to pick up some EW BiB.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I own 4 out of that list
Are they sippers or mixers for you? I haven't seen any of the Benchmark anywhere or the Very Old Barton, so I'll have to start stopping in more places to see if it's in stock. I can't wait to see the reaction at my cigar lounge when i pull one of these bottles out of my satchel. Especially after bringing Sazerac and Noble Oak Double Oaked as my last two bourbons. It's gonna be amusing.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to try the Barton but my county stores only have the 1.75. Granted it’s only $19.99 but don’t want to buy a half gal to try it. Been meaning to pick up some EW BiB.

I hear what you're saying. That Henry McKenna Sour Mash is also 1.75 and I'd be breaking my rules as it's $27.99. I'm going to have to utilize bringing a flask with a finite amount of bourbon in tow, this way I don't over-consume, one of the drawbacks of lighter whiskey with short/nonexistent finishes

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Are they sippers or mixers for you? I haven't seen any of the Benchmark anywhere or the Very Old Barton, so I'll have to start stopping in more places to see if it's in stock. I can't wait to see the reaction at my cigar lounge when i pull one of these bottles out of my satchel. Especially after bringing Sazerac and Noble Oak Double Oaked as my last two bourbons. It's gonna be amusing.
Sippers? No I drink that shit straight lol. Just tell em to drink it and shut up, it's free ha

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Link and title sounds negative but this is a nice little video about the sourcing of bourbon. Gotta watch the whole thing to appreciate it but it isn't that long.

MGP for the win....
Not trying to sound like a condescending dick but I probably finish 50 bottles of bourbon a year right now. The 2018 M10 is the only bottle I’ve paid secondary ever, at 150.00 shipped (after my first one at retail of 120.00)

Attachments

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Link and title sounds negative but this is a nice little video about the sourcing of bourbon. Gotta watch the whole thing to appreciate it but it isn't that long.

Ugh that guys voice was like nails on a chalkboard. There’s actually not a ton of mainstream Bourbon & Ryes (non boutique brands) that are MGP sourced. How often does one come across “Bone Snapper Rye” or “Big Ass Bourbon” on their local shelf?

https://www.great-taste.net/tidbits-kudos/industry-news/whisky-brands-that-are-made-at-mgp/

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ugh that guys voice was like nails on a chalkboard. There’s actually not a ton of mainstream Bourbon & Ryes (non boutique brands) that are MGP sourced. How often does one come across “Bone Snapper Rye” or “Big Ass Bourbon” on their local shelf?

https://www.great-taste.net/tidbits-kudos/industry-news/whisky-brands-that-are-made-at-mgp/

Well after tasting ryes at the distilleries all week I was under the impression that the majority of readily available ryes are made by MGP or some other bulk distiller. What the distilleries do with it once they get it makes them different from each other. The large distillers run column stills and don't want to interrupt production to run a lower volume product like rye whiskey. I think some distilleries even source rye blends to add to their existing distillate to make high rye bourbon but then they can't call it Kentucky bourbon or BIB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well after tasting ryes at the distilleries all week I was under the impression that the majority of readily available ryes are made by MGP or some other bulk distiller. What the distilleries do with it once they get it makes them different from each other. The large distillers run column stills and don't want to interrupt production to run a lower volume product like rye whiskey. I think some distilleries even source rye blends to add to their existing distillate to make high rye bourbon but then they can't call it Kentucky bourbon or BIB
True, there are definitely way more mainstream Ryes on that list i provided as compared to Bourbon (Angel’s Envy, Bulleit, Whistlepig, Dickel, Templeton, Willett, etc). My response was mainly targeting bourbon . However Basil Hayden, Woodford, Sazerac, Knob Creek, EH Taylor, Booker’s, Rittenhouse Ryes are not on that list, so i still wouldn’t say the majority of the Rye market