What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think this qualifies as a prophecy. Glad I was able to make this happen, almost didn’t. Instead of waiting till today I rushed to the store on Wednesday, only to find both batches outside of the secured glass cabinet and on the shelf. What I soon found out was the the batch that I wanted (B518) was on the last bottle, and on the open shelf, waiting to be snatched. Lucky me:

Both Scotches are finished, so I introduce to you my next two bottles:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(y)

Ironically, last October I bought a bottle of the B518 batch from Roy’s Liquors in Las Vegas but was disappointed when I realized I was supposed to be looking for the B517. After reading the review, glad I made that “mistaken” purchase.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am doing a "Sweet 30 Single Elimination " competition of the bourbons currently in my bar. No real rules except if the neat pours are very similar I will add a touch of water to both and then try to select one.

First pairing was of two Small Batch bourbons with Colonel EH Taylor beating out 1792

Couple of days later I did a pairing of another two Small Batch Bourbons Four Roses beating out Elijah Craig

Baker's 7 easily beat out Buffalo Trace

Eagle Rare walked all over Cooper's Craft

The goal of the competition is to select my preferred bourbon but there is an additional benefit of being able to drink two bourbons at a time!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1792 Full Proof

How was it, was thinking about picking a bottle up myself one day?

I had an upset stomach last night after eating a bourbon ice cream, with actual bourbon in the ingredients, so I couldn't properly enjoy a pour of my newly acquired Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Tonight I will hopefully crack it, but it's going to be difficult, as today is our family's celebration of Ukrainian Easter. Lots of horseradish, onions, cabbage, butter, kielbasi and Babka bread, so I might not be in a Barrel Proof kind of mood.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am doing a "Sweet 30 Single Elimination " competition of the bourbons currently in my bar. No real rules except if the neat pours are very similar I will add a touch of water to both and then try to select one.

First pairing was of two Small Batch bourbons with Colonel EH Taylor beating out 1792

Couple of days later I did a pairing of another two Small Batch Bourbons Four Roses beating out Elijah Craig

Baker's 7 easily beat out Buffalo Trace

Eagle Rare walked all over Cooper's Craft

The goal of the competition is to select my preferred bourbon but there is an additional benefit of being able to drink two bourbons at a time!
What an exciting idea for when I start to build my collection, right now I live 2 bourbons to 2 bourbons, as space & my budget are very limited.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What an exciting idea for when I start to build my collection, right now I live 2 bourbons to 2 bourbons, as space & my budget are very limited.
Thanks, obviously I'm starting a similar competition with the Scotch and Rum in my liquor cabinet. I'm trying to group the liquors into categories so I can find the "best of". Scotch is fairly easy since the distilleries are identified regionally, Bourbon not so difficult but dark rum is a killer with all the different regions, levels of added sugar, distillation processes etc. I think I'll compare the rums by amount of sugar unless someone has a better idea?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
How was it, was thinking about picking a bottle up myself one day?

I had an upset stomach last night after eating a bourbon ice cream, with actual bourbon in the ingredients, so I couldn't properly enjoy a pour of my newly acquired Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Tonight I will hopefully crack it, but it's going to be difficult, as today is our family's celebration of Ukrainian Easter. Lots of horseradish, onions, cabbage, butter, kielbasi and Babka bread, so I might not be in a Barrel Proof kind of mood.

The full Proof is good IMO. Not the best barrel proof I've had but it's good. The bottle started very hot but as it has breathed it has been very good.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thanks, obviously I'm starting a similar competition with the Scotch and Rum in my liquor cabinet. I'm trying to group the liquors into categories so I can find the "best of". Scotch is fairly easy since the distilleries are identified regionally, Bourbon not so difficult but dark rum is a killer with all the different regions, levels of added sugar, distillation processes etc. I think I'll compare the rums by amount of sugar unless someone has a better idea?
I'd sort your rums by country. Jamaican, Bajan, Guyanan, etc. Many regions or countries have rules in place that govern the product or simply have traditional methods that produce a certain style. Some rules dictate sugar added, some dictate truth in age statement, etc. Unless buying a product you know to be truthful, dont put any credence in ages. Many blend, or solera age, and report the oldest in the mix. Might be 0.0001% 25 yr, but that's what's on the label...

A couple of good resources for the rum drinker are http://thefatrumpirate.com (for honest reviews), and http://rumproject.com/rumforum/ for good info on sugar/glycerin/flavoring.

Last edited: