What's new

Today's Bourbon

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
For a whiskey that always seemed like i was getting cherry flavored robatussin from it, I can’t believe how far ahead it’s moved up the ranks. It’s quickly becoming my favorite line. Actually coincidentally this was my most recent pour last night:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This one is the best of the OF lineup imo

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Which batch to you have currently? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you revisit.

I only have batches going back to 2017, I've seen some unreal Booker's collections on a FB group. That being said, I am a drinker and not a collector, so my bottles won't last forever.

I've picked up all the older bottles within the last couple months, so there are older batches out there. Find the little stores with a few bottles and good possibility you'll find something 2-3 years old. That being said, two of my 3 favorite batches are from 2019, Teresa's and Country Ham.

Story card

It’s my one and only Bookers. It started off with caramel and lots of cinnamon heat. I don’t normally add water to my whiskey however this was really hot and I wanted to be able to give y’all some flavor profile. After a few drops of some Kentucky lime stone water the hints of cherry came around with some subtle vanilla and baking spice. I really like this batch, although it’s my only one. I have tried the Blue Knights Batch 2 2017. Going off of memory from a few years ago the Blue Knights was more flavorful with a touch less heat. Overall, I’ll be looking to expand my Bookers selection.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
It’s my one and only Bookers. It started off with caramel and lots of cinnamon heat. I don’t normally add water to my whiskey however this was really hot and I wanted to be able to give y’all some flavor profile. After a few drops of some Kentucky lime stone water the hints of cherry came around with some subtle vanilla and baking spice. I really like this batch, although it’s my only one. I have tried the Blue Knights Batch 2 2017. Going off of memory from a few years ago the Blue Knights was more flavorful with a touch less heat. Overall, I’ll be looking to expand my Bookers selection.
Thanks for the review! That's one I haven't come across yet, but I'm always on the lookout.

Opened my "Kitchen Table" last night, another good Booker's.

Then took some inspiration from @BourbonBinder for my second pour.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone have or seen this one yet? If they listen to feedback like this, I think this bourbon only stands to get better. Because coming from this reviewer, 2.5 barrels isn’t working for me at that price point.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Anyone have or seen this one yet? If they listen to feedback like this, I think this bourbon only stands to get better. Because coming from this reviewer, 2.5 barrels isn’t working for me at that price point.
Hadn't even heard of it until now. The single barrel doesn't intrigue me too much based on the review, but if they get their shit together on the Barrel Strength version, that might compete with the 1920 for space on the bar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hadn't even heard of it until now. The single barrel doesn't intrigue me too much based on the review, but if they get their shit together on the Barrel Strength version, that might compete with the 1920 for space on the bar.
Agreed on the single barrel OF, i’ve had two of their selections and wasn’t a huge fan.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
How is that High West stuff? I’ve never tried it or have been tempted to buy any. I believe my shop has their full lineup, or close to it.
I have liked everything I've tried with the exception of the Yippee Ki-Yay, which was finished in vermouth and sherry barrels. They do make the only finished rye I've ever really loved, the Mid Winter Night's Dram.

I've found the Double Rye on sale for $19, it's got some good spice and flavors but at 92 proof, not necessarily in my wheelhouse anymore. The Bourye is just fantastic, but again, it's pricey. Actually received this bottle as a gift.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have liked everything I've tried with the exception of the Yippee Ki-Yay, which was finished in vermouth and sherry barrels. They do make the only finished rye I've ever really loved, the Mid Winter Night's Dram.

I've found the Double Rye on sale for $19, it's got some good spice and flavors but at 92 proof, not necessarily in my wheelhouse anymore. The Bourye is just fantastic, but again, it's pricey. Actually received this bottle as a gift.
Awesome! Thanks for the knowledge on it. I’ll be on the lookout for it when on sale.

Added a few (meaning three) whiskies to my collection. Last bottle I bought was a very disappointing Tin Cup Rye (i like their bourbon), which was in mid March. That all changed today when I visited two local stores.

I obviously needed to restock my beloved OF Rye, and the Evan Williams Single Barrel was a toss up between Russell’s 10 Year and Pinhook. Since I really loved my last EVSB-Vintage I went with that. Plus its Barrel # was the only one of its kind on the shelf (1280), so I’ll see how lucky I am. The big player was OF BiB, which I got for $51. I saw it after for $47, but it was already too late and I didn’t want to go back to match it.

I’ve heard amazing reviews of the BiB.

I also needed some beer and Malbec, so while I was there I helped myself. I know this isn’t a beer/wine forum, but oh well. I chose to support one of the local breweries in Cape May, so I’ll have to see if I made the right choice.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@BourbonBinder, I think the 1920 is the only OF I've ever tried (and purchased). I think I'll have to put that BiB Rye on the short list.

Last night I killed my New Riff Bib. Though I enjoyed it, I'll likely stick to their SiB Rye (or try the BiB Rye) in the future.

I highly recommend the OF Rye, only it’s not actually BiB. Old Forester just chose 100 to be its proof. Kind of confusing because BiB is always 100 Proof as you know. I’m in a way glad it’s not BiB; this gives Chris Morris (Master Distiller) more leeway on refinement as BiB uses strict standards and can in a way inhibit innovation and creativity

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I highly recommend the OF Rye, only it’s not actually BiB. Old Forester just chose 100 to be its proof. Kind of confusing because BiB is always 100 Proof as you know. I’m in a way glad it’s not BiB; this gives Chris Morris (Master Distiller) more leeway on refinement as BiB uses strict standards and can in a way inhibit innovation and creativity
Makes sense, Matt. It's a no-brainer for me to try at under $25. (y)

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Last night I drank ascending proof pours. Had a couple of each of the first two, then one of the last before falling up the stairs to bed. :LOL:

OF 1920 - 115 proof

Bookers 2019-01 (Teresa's Batch) - 126 proof

ECBP C919 - 136 proof

Can anyone recommend a good 140+ proof bourbon/rye I can get for next Friday? :LOL: