What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Congratulations that’s quite a special occasion bottle to have in the collection! Low secondary prices I hope! I’ve had a sample of the 2016 GTS, which was the 2nd highest proofed in its long history in the BTAC, actually by only 0.07 proofs at 144.1. I enjoyed mine neat both glasses.

As far as the 2019 being disappointing...hey it’s a GTS, which no matter how it is by comparison to mine or the 2016, I’m going to enjoy it no matter what, because to most people, it’s a rare occasion and a privilege meant for enjoyment. After all there are only 19 separate George T Stagg releases since 2002, that’s a pretty exclusive club to be a part of.

If I ever get to the point of being overly critical with something as rare as George T Stagg, then that will be the end of my Bourbon journey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tasting something 100 times and it not tasting right the 101st time is hardly over critical. When you grow to love something it’s ok to have an expectation and definitely understandable and almost a requirement to notice when that expectation isn’t met.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, got home today finally from a great bourbon experience. The boss and I couldn’t sleep so we hit the road this morning around 2 AM for the 7 hour drive home.

Here is the final haul of the trip. We got to dip the bottles of Makers we bought for a couple of friends of mine. Those are special batches only available at the distillery.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I saw Mayor Pingree Blue Label, which is cask strength SFTB. Sounds like that might suit my love for high proof...have you tried that one?
One I have not. Searching for the 13yr black label. Taking 2oz onto the course today. Grabbed a 5yr rye and bourbon last week. They sell in minutes here.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Anyone have any experience with the Knob Creek Single Barrel bourbon (120 proof) store picks? There are a couple different ones at Binny's about 11 years old. I've heard great things about the 14 year old sps, but not much about the 11 year.
I love them, been stocking up on them all year. I think it was Craig @gurgalunas that got me started on them.
There’ve been great ones all the way from 9 year to 15. I really think 12-14 should be the sweet spot, but individual barrel differences vary too much for that to be a hard and fast rule. Some of the 15’s have been a little heavy on the oak, but not to the point of detriment.
A couple bottles have drank a little hotter than I prefer, and a couple haven’t been as impressive as most, (usually the 9 yrs) but all of them seem to get magically better as you work your way down the bottle and it gets more air. Pretty heart breaking to drink that last pour. :LOL:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I love them, been stocking up on them all year. I think it was Craig @gurgalunas that got me started on them.
There’ve been great ones all the way from 9 year to 15. I really think 12-14 should be the sweet spot, but individual barrel differences vary too much for that to be a hard and fast rule. Some of the 15’s have been a little heavy on the oak, but not to the point of detriment.
A couple bottles have drank a little hotter than I prefer, and a couple haven’t been as impressive as most, (usually the 9 yrs) but all of them seem to get magically better as you work your way down the bottle and it gets more air. Pretty heart breaking to drink that last pour. :LOL:
Sounds like you have a bunch of them, Jeremy, congrats! I just have 4 different 14+ year store picks and one 9 year store pick. Hope to see some more 14-15 in the wild, but sounds like they're getting scarcer since the 15 year in the wooden box came out.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Sounds like you have a bunch of them, Jeremy, congrats! I just have 4 different 14+ year store picks and one 9 year store pick. Hope to see some more 14-15 in the wild, but sounds like they're getting scarcer since the 15 year in the wooden box came out.
Heh, I probably have more than a bakers dozen, even after finishing off several. Picked them up all over, from FL to CT, and even a few muled from great BOTL’s.

I think that’s a lot of people’s fear, and that’s how it seems to be playing out. Seeing a lot more 9’s. But 15’s are still coming through.

I’m looking for that perfect 13 or 14 then I want to get a case... :LOL:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Picked up some store picks / group picks this afternoon. I really liked the Old Haymarket in the 120 proof small batch so I grabbed one of the single barrel picks at 114 proof (that everyone says was the best of the 5 barrels). Also snagged a couple different Whistlepig picks.

The got a message this evening that my local Binny's got in their allocation of the latest ECBP. One per customer, so I grabbed one....and now they're sold out.