What's new

Today's Brew (April 2005)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Rawanda Masaka Margogype Laguna da'Kine Kenta Ethiopian Harar los Santos de la Croix. A very mixed cup indeed.

Have a great day

Live well, laugh often

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm having a combination of two coffees from my first attempt at roasting. Columbian Huila Supremo and Bolivian Organic. I ground some of each to sample last night and neither had enough left over for a full pot this morning so I mixed them together. They were a pretty dark roast so the cup is pretty strong. Stuff's got hair on it!

Mad Dawg

Herf Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started out by - literally - burning a batch of Mokha-Java blend to charcoal last night. Roasted a second batch, ground it this morning....and left the jar of ground coffee on the counter at home. So now, instead of my home roast, I'm stuck with office coffee this morning. :barf:

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Cuban Serrano Supremo, roasted dark. This bean holds up well to the extra roast time.
Full bodied and delicious.

Live well, laugh often

Have a great day

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Dad and I are sampling the results of my second roast this morning. I stopped the roast earlier on these (the first was pretty dark). Both have a very different quality that I can't quite describe but I think may be "brightness". I find it too pronounced in the Bolivian Organic and a little more balanced in the Columbian Huila Supremo. Methinks that on the third round I'll try to hit somewhere between the two roasts I've done so far.

PS: I'm planning on sticking with these two beans until probably after my 4th or 5th roast to try to get the hang of things before I try the other beans I have.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Kenya AA.
This was one of my favorite coffees when I was using "store-bought" beans. I roasted this batch Saturday afternoon and stopped the roast at a little lighter stage than I was used to seeing, but still fairly dark. The difference in flavor is incredible! I can't describe the flavors but I can say this is much more complex and full bodied and doesn't have the bitter, smoky flavor of the store bought beans. I'm likin' it!!!

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Kenya AA Icamara Estate. Nice bright cup. I think next batch will have a little longer roast time, maybe well into 2nd crack.

Live well, laugh often

Have a great day

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Today I tried a new (to me) bean

Rawanda Gatare Grade A. I snagged this one from a box pass on another board. It's a typical Rawandan, full bodied, and delicious. I wish I had more for a better chance to compare it to the Masaka better, and to play with the roast times.

Live well, laugh often

Have a great day

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yemen Mokha - Bany Matar: One of the most unique coffees I've had so far. Very tasty with a sweet undertone. The roasted beans actually smelled like they were covered in pancake syrup so I was very curious to see how it would taste. The sweetness was definitely there but in the background and not at all overpowering. This could become one of my favorites.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
hello windowrx and mad dawg, what are y'all drinking?

I'm having Kenya AA Icamara Estate today.

Live well, laugh often

Have a great day

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Well, what are you two drinking today?

I'm still in Kenya, today is the AA Tegu. I like it a little better than the Icamara in terms of it has less acidity. Those Kenyans do grow some good beans.

Live well. laugh often.

Have a great day

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm finishing up the Columbian Supremo - Huila Valencia . Pretty good!
On a side note in the Kenyan vein, the first Kenya AA I had was Kangocho. Last night I roasted some Ichimara to try this weekend. Now I'll have to hunt up some Tegu. This is as bad as cigars, man!

Mad Dawg

Herf Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80% Java Blawan Estate/20% Yemen Mokha Ismaili blend, taken about 10 seconds into second crack. I've been playing with the proportions in this classic blend for a long time, and I think this is my favorite so far. The Mokha is incredibly intense, so it really needs toning down most days. This blend lets the spicy/fruity/floral qualities of the Mokha shine through without being overwhelming, while adding the body and earthiness of the Java. If I'd had any Ethiopia Harar, I would have added a bit of that as well, just for that subtle blueberry essence.

Dayum - there just isn't much that beats a great cup of truly fresh coffee! :grin:

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Pele Plantation Kona Pearlman Estate. You just can't beat a kona coffee and Pele carries some of the best on the planet.

Live well, laugh often

Have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.