What's new

Today's Drink (non-beer)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@highsierrasmokin' Strange they would change wineries. Not even trying to maintain the same taste profile between vintages. Not maintaining a consistent flavor profile is becoming more popular with bourbon now days. Many smaller distillers are doing small batches of what they have of a certain age and putting it on the shelf. What you enjoyed so much last year may not be what you get this year and for that matter what you get with a spring bottling verses a fall bottling.

So if you really like it stock up, no telling if you'll be able to replace it.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
@highsierrasmokin' Strange they would change wineries. Not even trying to maintain the same taste profile between vintages. Not maintaining a consistent flavor profile is becoming more popular with bourbon now days. Many smaller distillers are doing small batches of what they have of a certain age and putting it on the shelf. What you enjoyed so much last year may not be what you get this year and for that matter what you get with a spring bottling verses a fall bottling.

So if you really like it stock up, no telling if you'll be able to replace it.
Kunde may have bought vineyards in Hopland. Who knows. It's still hard to get each year to taste exactly like the year before, at least with wine.
The weather affects the grapes so much. The weather has been very different down there the past 15 years. Much much cooler.
If I remember right, The hotter days and foggy nights make for more sugar in the grapes, where milder days and cool nights don't.
Last summer was a scorcher, so I would assume that the '21's will be very nice??? We'll see...

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
@highsierrasmokin'

If you drank two Zins from a specific region with the same vintage but different vintners do you think you could taste any differences?
Oh yeah! My grandpas Zinfandel tasted very different than the guy's Zinfandel made from grapes on the lot next his.
Of course that guy didn't take care of his vineyard very well either. Weeds growing like crazy down each row.
If the weeds are taking a lot of the water meant for the grapes, then that's another variable.
Then stuff like what are you aging the wine in? Oak barrels? How many years have those barrels been used? My grandpa made some wine in oak barrels and some in food grade drums.
There's just to many variables.

Last edited: