What's new

Today's Scotch

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I didn't realize the Laphroaig 10 was on that end of the peat spectrum. I'll look into your recommendations. The number of Balvenie bottles on my "to try" list keeps getting larger and larger.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize the Laphroaig 10 was on that end of the peat spectrum. I'll look into your recommendations. The number of Balvenie bottles on my "to try" list keeps getting larger and larger.
Though some swear by it, personally, I find Laphroaig revolting. I own it, but bought it on a dare and use it when showing my friends who are new to scotch how varied single malts can be.

Make sure 21 is on your Balvenie list. Damn expensive but oh so wonderful.

Trout

Ps. This was from a tasting session I did with a buddy Wednesday. Thursday was tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it a tasting session or a drinking session?? When you get a friend involved I find tasting sessions become drinking events!!
Oh geez. I just realized there is damn near a grand worth of scotch represented on that counter.

No wonder I ain’t got no money.

Trout

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm new to peaty scotch. The Laphroaig 10 I tried a couple of weeks ago was just so much peat it was tough to drink. Until I lit a cigar and had my third dram, then it was delightful. The Talisker Storm I first had last night was similar, just obvious peat and smoke, kind of put me off. I tried again tonight and the taste just transformed overnight after being opened. The peat and smoke where what I expected when I purchased the bottle. Present but not overpowering, very nice. I like the bit of honey and salt in the Talisker Storm.

Does that "head space" in an opened bottle change the liquor that much or are my taste buds just changing that quickly?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to peaty scotch. The Laphroaig 10 I tried a couple of weeks ago was just so much peat it was tough to drink. Until I lit a cigar and had my third dram, then it was delightful. The Talisker Storm I first had last night was similar, just obvious peat and smoke, kind of put me off. I tried again tonight and the taste just transformed overnight after being opened. The peat and smoke where what I expected when I purchased the bottle. Present but not overpowering, very nice. I like the bit of honey and salt in the Talisker Storm.

Does that "head space" in an opened bottle change the liquor that much or are my taste buds just changing that quickly?
Once bottled, it won’t change.

Talisker is an Island, not Islay so is less medicinal than the Laphroaig.

Laphroaig is just nasty, IMO.

Trout

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well this was an unexpected surprise. If you like sherried cask strength whisky, you will like this. Reminiscent of Tamdu Cask Strength but probably younger(both are NAS).

And though I generally believe all scotch has enough water in it already, this benefits from a few drops, again likely due to its youth.

Trout

Rating - 100%
65   0   0

Well this was an unexpected surprise. If you like sherried cask strength whisky, you will like this. Reminiscent of Tamdu Cask Strength but probably younger(both are NAS).

And though I generally believe all scotch has enough water in it already, this benefits from a few drops, again likely due to its youth.

Trout

had this tonight... solid bottle

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
solid bottle... whats the story behind the glass?

Oh, that is not a short story.

I have a friend that lives on Harris, Outer Hebrides, Scotland. He is my Single Malt Scotch Whisky mentor, or as they call it, whisky.

He has an enviable collection of whisky’s, over 120 different bottles.

He taught me a number of important things:

1. Whisky already has enough water in it.

2. Not all Islay’s suck.

3. Cask strength whiskies typically have more character and complexity than non cask strength.

4. Hold the glass of whisky firmly in your hands to warm the whisky. As the whisky warms, it just gets better and better.

He had a set of glasses like the above that just felt so good in my hand but they were also optimal for heat transfer.

Actually, the ones he had me use were his second set. He had originally acquired a set at their equivalent of Macy’s, but after many years the originals had been lost, broken, etc. and when he looked for replacements, none could be found.

For his 70th birthday, my friend’s wife had a company in London make a set of 4 hand blown glasses to match the originals.

My friend gave me the name of the company that made the replacements, specs for the glasses, etc, and when I got back to the states, I contacted them.

To make a set of four was going to be around $100, but shipping was going to be almost that much again.

So I started searching for a similar glass in the states without success. This past spring when I went back, I looked all over Scotland, still no luck.

Finally I stumbled upon these:

https://www.amazon.com/Schott-Zwiesel-Collection-Cocktail-4-6-Ounce/dp/B002ACOPWK

Pricey but perfect.

Don’t you wish you hadn’t asked?

Trout

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Oh, that is not a short story.

I have a friend that lives on Harris, Outer Hebrides, Scotland. He is my Single Malt Scotch Whisky mentor, or as they call it, whisky.

He has an enviable collection of whisky’s, over 120 different bottles.

He taught me a number of important things:

1. Whisky already has enough water in it.

2. Not all Islay’s suck.

3. Cask strength whiskies typically have more character and complexity than non cask strength.

4. Hold the glass of whisky firmly in your hands to warm the whisky. As the whisky warms, it just gets better and better.

He had a set of glasses like the above that just felt so good in my hand but they were also optimal for heat transfer.

Actually, the ones he had me use were his second set. He had originally acquired a set at their equivalent of Macy’s, but after many years the originals had been lost, broken, etc. and when he looked for replacements, none could be found.

For his 70th birthday, my friend’s wife had a company in London make a set of 4 hand blown glasses to match the originals.

My friend gave me the name of the company that made the replacements, specs for the glasses, etc, and when I got back to the states, I contacted them.

To make a set of four was going to be around $100, but shipping was going to be almost that much again.

So I started searching for a similar glass in the states without success. This past spring when I went back, I looked all over Scotland, still no luck.

Finally I stumbled upon these:

https://www.amazon.com/Schott-Zwiesel-Collection-Cocktail-4-6-Ounce/dp/B002ACOPWK

Pricey but perfect.

Don’t you wish you hadn’t asked?

Trout

Such a wise mentor.... im glad i asked and can agree with those points completely. I always thought of myself as a "purist" (for lack of a better term) single malts, no water, no ice, so its good to hear im not alone.