What's new

Today's Scotch

Lunchbox

Gettin back into the game
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A lady at the liquor store suggested this scotch to me yesterday. It’s pretty good. Sweet and caramel flavors. Doesn’t fit her description of the flavor profile at all, but worth trying if it’s on sale I suppose.

Lunchbox

Gettin back into the game
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some Dewars 12 over the weekend. Solid blend- it’s easy drinking and has a light highlands profile. Might become my house scotch at ~30 bucks a bottle here in CO.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all, new to this thread. So a few of my fellow Bourbon guys here already know what will follow, but I figured I’d post this in the right place regardless of how frequent or infrequent I will be posting here. As my name might suggest I have quite an affinity towards Bourbon Whiskey. I’m also a huge fan of most Ryes and Irish Whiskey. If there’s mountain I feel I have yet to quite comprehend, let alone climb, it’s most definitely Scotch. Believe me, I’ve certainly tried to keep an open mind and just keep sampling. There’s a happy end to this story, if you’ll keep reading.

It’s not that I haven’t tried climbing; I’ve even bought a full bottle of Glenfiddich 14 Year Single Malt Bourbon Barrel Reserve to ease myself into the hobby. To me throughout the bottle I got almost nothing but bandaids and brine. I couldn’t have finished that bottle any quicker. Here’s a short list of others I’ve sampled: Macallan 12 & 15, Glenfiddich 12/14/18, Compass Box Peat Monster, Johnny Walker BLUE/Double Black/Game of Thrones, Monkey Shoulder (which I actually liked), Dewar’s 12, Oban 14, Bowmore12, Glenlivet 12 & 15, Highland Park 12, Ardbeg 10, Caol ila 12, Lagavulin 16, Glenmorangie 12. You can’t fault me for not trying.

It might be the Peat, it might be the brine, it might be a little or a lot of both. Be that as it may, I have GREAT news. Besides Monkey Shoulder, which I sampled yesterday for the first time, I have two “go-to” favorite Scotch Whisky’s, which is more then what I was after. For awhile I thought my palate was broken, or that I’ve enjoyed one to many 120+ Barrel Proof Bourbons. I give you:

Thanks for reading this far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I also prefer the Highlands and non-peated Scotches when just having a drink, especially with a meal. I find a strong, Maduro with a peated Scotch is a pretty good combination.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also prefer the Highlands and non-peated Scotches when just having a drink, especially with a meal. I find a strong, Maduro with a peated Scotch is a pretty good combination.
I’ve only ever had Scotch with cigars lol. Too bad there aren’t more Lowland Distilleries other than Auchentoshan and a few others. I really think my palate lines up with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
20190515_161855.jpg
Smokey Joe is a store brand by Total Wine and More around $33. Blended Islay, light peat and less brine then the Monkey Shoulder. Simple, not too complex maybe a good first peated Scotch. Head to head I prefer the Smokey Joe over the Monkey Shoulder. The cigar is a Viaje Cache, very nice smoke and pairs well with the peat.